Looking for a Marina near Manchester

rodlloyd

Featured Posts

I am looking for a marina for long term storage of my 54ft narrowboat that is within 40 miles of Manchester Airport.  I would prefer the marina to have boat repair person on staff and located in a rural setting.  Prefer to be on the south side of Manchester so it is closer to the main canal network.

Suggestions please.

3 hours ago, rodlloyd said:

I am looking for a marina for long term storage of my 54ft narrowboat that is within 40 miles of Manchester Airport.  I would prefer the marina to have boat repair person on staff and located in a rural setting.  Prefer to be on the south side of Manchester so it is closer to the main canal network.

Suggestions please.

stretford marina is in south manchester, not sure it can be called rural.

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

Heritage Marina (Scholar Green) falls inside your 40 mile circle.

I’d suggest somewhere on the Macclesfield Canal. 

Especially regards the Airport. Higher Poynton is a doddle to Manchester Airport. 

Heritage Mariner would certainly tick all the boxes you seem to want/need, and it’s only about an hour on to the Trent and Mersey from there. 

To add: bought diesel from there today. Seems a really nice place. Worth a look I reckon. 

Edited by Goliath
To add

I've spoken to several boaters who have stayed at Heritage, they all recommend it. Closer to the airport is Lyme View at Adlington. This is a lovely marina but many would say it was spoiled by, shall we say, the management. Rumour has it that the previous owner has retired. If so it might be worth a look. There were always spaces here because of, let's say, the management.  

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2019 at 08:46, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Closer to the airport is Lyme View at Adlington. This is a lovely marina but many would say it was spoiled by, shall we say, the management. Rumour has it that the previous owner has retired. If so it might be worth a look. There were always spaces here because of, let's say, the management.  

We moored there for a couple of years, more for convenience, the owner was not a people person and the facilities are dire. The owner has now semi retired and installed a manager who apparently is ok although the marina is now long overdue for major investment, it is just about ok for somewhere to park your boat. Should be noted that the OP also is looking for a marina that has a boat repair person which would rule out Lyme View.

Reedley marina at Burnley is just off the M65 giving a choice of motorway routes to the Heathrow of the north...

whilst the marina doesn’t have a boat repair chap on staff, plenty available in the area (if not on a boat in the marina)

Edited by jonathanA