Interior wood cleaner?

NB DW

Featured Posts

Hi,

I've a 4 year old Aintree Beetle with a mixture of solid oak and ply interior.  Some of the wood has faded where the previous owner's had pictures/TV in place.  I'd have expected those areas to have gone darker rather than lighter as they've been protected from the sunlight.

Anyhow, I'm looking for an interior cleaner that ideally won't make the wood shiny or darken but will get rid of any grime and dirt.

Has anyone any recommendations?  Maybe this?

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/22363/Parker & Bailey Lemon Oil Polish/all-reviews

Thanks

I think your chances of making the tone of picture areas accurately match the rest of the natural wood are absolutely zero.

Get some pictures of your own, bigger than the others if it troubles you. Or paint it all! 

2 hours ago, NB DW said:

I'd have expected those areas to have gone darker rather than lighter as they've been protected from the sunlight.

Well, you have it backwards, wood darkens in sunlight.  So the area behind the photos is or is very close to the original colors. As a woodworker, unless it is just dirt, no chance of easily getting it all the same.

7 hours ago, Kudzucraft said:

Well, you have it backwards, wood darkens in sunlight.  So the area behind the photos is or is very close to the original colors. As a woodworker, unless it is just dirt, no chance of easily getting it all the same.

Seconded. You’re stuck with it, particularly as the wood is no doubt finished with lacquer or varnish so any bleaching agent can’t penetrate. 

Try cleaning the dark areas with a "soapy wood cleaner" most supermarkets will stock something, often general day to day dirt just darkens the finish making the pale bits stand out.

I use it once a year or so and its remarkable how much crud is washed off