Car parking

The Dreamer

Featured Posts

As Tim says, buy a banger that no one wants to nick. Get permission or study Google maps. In remote places find lay-bys close to bridges. In built up places find housing estates, don't park in front of someone's house, find a spot next to a high hedge or wall, preferably with a street light. Don't annoy the locals and don't leave it there too long.

We did have summers where we decided against the aggro and parked the car on my brother in law's drive, but mostly we needed the car so did a lot of car/boat shuffling.

The worst moment for Dave was on the Llangollen, probably the worst canal for public transport links, when on a ridiculously hot day he cycled back 10 miles to fetch the car. After a 20 mile round trip, sweating like a pig he arrived back at the boat and found it very difficult to tell me he'd left the car keys behind, then went to bed. Probably the grumpiest I've seen my husband in over 30 years of marriage.

Edited by Ange
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Ange said:

As Tim says, buy a banger that no one wants to nick. Get permission or study Google maps. In remote places find lay-bys close to bridges. In built up places find housing estates, don't park in front of someone's house, find a spot next to a high hedge or wall, preferably with a street light. Don't annoy the locals and don't leave it there too long.

We did have summers where we decided against the aggro and parked the car on my brother in law's drive, but mostly we needed the car so did a lot of car/boat shuffling.

The worst moment for Dave was on the Llangollen, probably the worst canal for public transport links, when on a ridiculously hot day he cycled back 10 miles to fetch the car. After a 20 mile round trip, sweating like a pig he arrived back at the boat and found it very difficult to tell me he'd left the car keys behind, then went to bed. Probably the grumpiest I've seen my husband in over 30 years of marriage.

This sounds familiar!

The advice is good, it's nearly exactly what we do except we don't leave the car at the in-laws.

The revised plan is to try and leave the car where you can easily (and cheaply) get back to it via public transport.  A quick study of advance train fares helps with the cheap bit.  The railway is preferred because so many lines were built to directly compete with the canals there is usually a station nearby, but that's not always possible.

I haven't done the 20 mile cycle without the car keys (yet!) but I have managed a £20 taxi journey without the car keys because the next train wasn't for 2 hours ...

I still get reminded about it when going to get the car. :D

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Ange said:

Too late for you now Ange, but it might help someone else.

You can buy magnetic car key boxes, and leave a spare key attached but hidden on tne car.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MASTER-LOCK-Magnetic-key-box/

They work on steel boats too, handy if you lose your key.

Edited by cuthound
  • Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, cuthound said:

You can buy magnetic car key boxes, and leave a spare key attached but hidden on tne car.

A chap I used to moor next to got one, after about the 3rd time he rang me to bring a hammer and chisel to help open his door, worked well until he used the spare emergency key and didn't replace it ;)

• Haha 2

On 22/06/2020 at 16:40, cuthound said:

Narrowboats... it's all about the magnets.

On 21/06/2020 at 22:19, Jerra said:

When did electric scooters become legal?  Iwas under the impression the 1988 Road traffic act didn't allow them.

They're not legal for use on the public highway. There is discussion going on about allowing them to be hired out in certain towns.  The fines for using them on the public highway has gone up to £300.  This will cover towpaths as well.  https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/are-electric-scooters-legal-in-the-uk-everything-you-need-to-know

50 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Will it, do CRT consider them motorbikes?

They're motorised vehicles so not allowed on tow paths. Only mobility scooters and pedal assisted electric bikes allowed. Comes under byelaw 31.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/our-campaigns/share-the-space-our-towpath-code/top-tips-for-sharing-the-space/towpath-faqs

Edited by Flyboy