Car parking

The Dreamer

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

To give di-blasi their due, its not often the specs for a moped give you a list of compatible spark plugs! :D  

You see this sort of thing in the paddock at motorcycle race meetings. I guess they're pretty well suited to that, but are they road legal? They look like they could be, but I shudder to think what a meeting with a council pothole would do to a 5" wheeled machine! Notwithstanding that, a tiny motorcycle with minimal road presence wouldn't be my first choice in today's traffic. It does go some way towards solving the narrowboat storage part of the conundrum though!

You cant take them on a Motorway

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

To give di-blasi their due, its not often the specs for a moped give you a list of compatible spark plugs! :D  

You see this sort of thing in the paddock at motorcycle race meetings. I guess they're pretty well suited to that, but are they road legal? They look like they could be, but I shudder to think what a meeting with a council pothole would do to a 5" wheeled machine! Notwithstanding that, a tiny motorcycle with minimal road presence wouldn't be my first choice in today's traffic. It does go some way towards solving the narrowboat storage part of the conundrum though!

You cant take them on a Motorway

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

And yet when I take my herd of goats for a walk on a cycle track, the cyclists go potty! Can't have it both ways, not even on a foldy-up bicycle... 

But I have never objected to goats on the towpath, even when Emil’s billy threatened to butt people into Clitheroe’s Lock, back in the day. So I feel entitled.

22. track down from Valley of the Kings, bike.JPG

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

And yet when I take my herd of goats for a walk on a cycle track, the cyclists go potty! Can't have it both ways, not even on a foldy-up bicycle... 

Sis used to have a very arsey ram, used to charge her every time she crossed the field, until Sis being Sis had enough, let it charge, stepped to one side tripped it upside down, tied its legs together and carried on for an hour or so.

Never tried that again ;)

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Sis used to have a very arsey ram, used to charge her every time she crossed the field, until Sis being Sis had enough, let it charge, stepped to one side tripped it upside down, tied its legs together and carried on for an hour or so.

That's how Mrs Rusty used to get her blokes!

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Anyone who can face down, rope and tie a ram is gonna have few problems with a wee scabby beagle, but it's the thing with the branding iron that's the worrying bit! :help:

Hey.I am changed.I am no longer a Beagle.

I was a (p) rated dog. I am now an(s) rated cartoon cat. In summary, I have been 

cat s rated and no longer dog p rated.

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Anyone who can face down, rope and tie a ram is gonna have few problems with a wee scabby beagle, but it's the thing with the branding iron that's the worrying bit! :help:

This is someone who put her kneecap back after she dislocated it falling of a horse and then walked home, the beaglecat would cause few problems

;)

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

This is someone who put her kneecap back after she dislocated it falling of a horse and then walked home, the beaglecat would cause few problems

;)

Mmmmm, maybe never introduce me to your SIS eh!

Thankyou.

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

This is only the 2nd woman hating sheep, I've heard of.

We, as kids had a cade lamb, as a pet, but as he grew up (minus his "bits") he turned quite nasty, particularly towards women, we never managed to change him.  But mother was very happy when he had to go!

Bod

• Greenie 1

6 years cruising for me, 3 different motor bikes. Current bike is a Honda MSX125, sometimes known as a Grom. It's the best of the three being 4 inches shorter, don't have to worry about uneven stonework in locks. I usually leave it on its side stand close to the boat which is technically against the rules but only once has a CRT chap taken issue. Top box on the back, can carry a 10kg bag of coal and I risked a leisure battery once.

I wouldn't be without a motor bike when cruising. The only downside for me is lack of gaps in the hedge in many areas which limits mooring choices. 

• 8 months later...
On 09/10/2019 at 18:47, The Dreamer said:

Evening all,

We are planing to set out as continuous cruisers, from March.  The expectation is to cruise all summer, work all winter, with the aim of doing the whole network in three years.  Will probably take winter moorings, either CRT or in a marina in the depths of the cold, and obviously will slow right down for the rest of the period we are working.  However we need to keep a car both for work, but also to keep in touch with aging and sick relatives.  Really don’t want to leapfrog a car all the way from a Brum to Bath, and back (for example), and am happy for one of us to take the train to pick it up when we need it. My question is, is there anyone else who does this, and if so, what parking arrangements do you have?

I piggy back a smart car ? with folding bike very easy to park no problem yet 3 years on the boat and I drive back home that is 4/5 hours away 

On 09/10/2019 at 18:47, The Dreamer said:

Evening all,

We are planing to set out as continuous cruisers, from March.  The expectation is to cruise all summer, work all winter, with the aim of doing the whole network in three years.  Will probably take winter moorings, either CRT or in a marina in the depths of the cold, and obviously will slow right down for the rest of the period we are working.  However we need to keep a car both for work, but also to keep in touch with aging and sick relatives.  Really don’t want to leapfrog a car all the way from a Brum to Bath, and back (for example), and am happy for one of us to take the train to pick it up when we need it. My question is, is there anyone else who does this, and if so, what parking arrangements do you have?

As has been said the key is having a shit heap for a car... what is the worst thing that can happen? (proud owner of a shit heap)

• Greenie 1

Are you going to access this car during the couple of months its parked. If not I would visit Enterprise and leave it at Rugby, they will take you to your boat. when you want to go home call them again and they will pick you up from the boat and leave the car up in Scotland

On 11/10/2019 at 08:37, Sea Dog said:

Yes, they are street legal. When you meet a council pothole it scares the living 8888 out of you. How do I know? I bought one at boatshow on the Thames some years ago. It was somewhere in the region of £1500. Yes, I had been in the beer tent for several hours beforehand and that may have influenced my decision?. Tax, insurance, new crash helmet and decent lock added a few hundred pounds to the cost. Say £1750 in total. I rode it twice. Once around local side roads for about 6 miles and once to the marina I was in at the time, another 13 miles round trip. Never, Never, Never again.??. I sold it to someone on this forum a few years ago. Can't remember his name. If anyone wants to see what one looks like there's an episode of Last of the Summer Wine where Foggy Dewhurst led them off on an off road trip.

15 hours ago, The Gravy Boater said:

As has been said the key is having a shit heap for a car... what is the worst thing that can happen? (proud owner of a shit heap)

Oi! My Audi was a very nice car 200,000 miles and 15 years ago. :D

Joking aside, I have seen a lot of people on those electric scooters recently.

They can have a pretty good range depending on the model and fold flatter than most folding bikes.

4 hours ago, Slim said:

Yes, they are street legal. When you meet a council pothole it scares the living 8888 out of you. How do I know? I bought one at boatshow on the Thames some years ago. It was somewhere in the region of £1500. Yes, I had been in the beer tent for several hours beforehand and that may have influenced my decision?. Tax, insurance, new crash helmet and decent lock added a few hundred pounds to the cost. Say £1750 in total. I rode it twice. Once around local side roads for about 6 miles and once to the marina I was in at the time, another 13 miles round trip. Never, Never, Never again.??. I sold it to someone on this forum a few years ago. Can't remember his name. If anyone wants to see what one looks like there's an episode of Last of the Summer Wine where Foggy Dewhurst led them off on an off road trip.

I have a friend who uses one all the time for returning to his car and moving it along. I think he is on his third. https://jannock.blogspot.com/2013/05/oh-what-day.html

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

When did electric scooters become legal?  Iwas under the impression the 1988 Road traffic act didn't allow them.

Isn't that under discussion at this very moment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48106617#:~:text=Are e-scooters legal in,the permission of the landowner.

Edited by ditchcrawler