Big Lock Bridge Middlewich. Projected repair date?

Boater Sam

Featured Posts

Passed a friends' boat through Big Lock yesterday and the footbridge is still fenced off.

Is there a date set for the repair and reopening?

Without this bridge it is impossible to access the off side gates once the top offside gate has opened as the only way would be to walk the bottom gate tops with partial handrails.

That is far too dangerous to be an idea.

Surely this is a Health and Safety issue that should have been addressed long ago?

I don’t know the answer to your question, but the bridge carries the public footpath Middlewich FP15, and there is a formal temporary closure notice up to October 2020. Last I heard CRT had “no plans to repair”

https://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/pdf/public-rights-of-way/temporary-path-closures-for-new-page/m/middlewich-fp15-closure-extension-notice-pdf-21kb.pdf

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/14717-big-lock-footbridge-bridge-172a-trent-and-mersey-canal-middlewich

" At this moment in time we do not have a date for the works to commence or the opening of the bridge.

We will be able to provide a further update once our engineers have been able to plan a repair. "

Closed since February and they haven't progressed plans for repair enough to provide an update.

Its listed, by the way: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1229624

44 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

I don’t know the answer to your question, but the bridge carries the public footpath Middlewich FP15, and there is a formal temporary closure notice up to October 2020. Last I heard CRT had “no plans to repair”

https://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/pdf/public-rights-of-way/temporary-path-closures-for-new-page/m/middlewich-fp15-closure-extension-notice-pdf-21kb.pdf

And everyone just uses the top gate. carrying kids, dogs, shopping pushchairs etc. I understand when the festival was on they had a floating bridge with a man to open it when a boat came along, but he went home at tea time so they closed the lock overnight.

As Brian said folk crossing  the top gate is an accident waiting  to happen.  When we came through a few days ago one of the crew from  an all Male hire boat where alcohol was being consumed  got caught  on  the far side  and rather than wait  till the next boat came in and the gates were shut,  he walked a cross the bottom  gates.  Those of us watching  held our breaths as he wavered on the bit with no hand hold. 

The bridge was so well used and the risk  of crossing the lock gates are so high that j would have thought it would have been fixed by now.

Haggis 

20 minutes ago, haggis said:

As Brian said folk crossing  the top gate is an accident waiting  to happen.  When we came through a few days ago one of the crew from  an all Male hire boat where alcohol was being consumed  got caught  on  the far side  and rather than wait  till the next boat came in and the gates were shut,  he walked a cross the bottom  gates.  Those of us watching  held our breaths as he wavered on the bit with no hand hold. 

The bridge was so well used and the risk  of crossing the lock gates are so high that j would have thought it would have been fixed by now.

Haggis 

Precisely what I thought would be happening. Highly dangerous and stupid but folk will do it. There is no other way!

Does anyone at CRT read these posts? If not, an employee should be designated to do so as a way of getting continuous feedback from their customers/clients/

The useless editor of the Boaters Update would be an ideal minion.

• Greenie 1

Bridge is used by boaters and lots of dog walkers (it leads to the park/field) and quite a few runners/joggers.

Not much used by cyclists so maybe thats why its not getting fixed :)

...............Dave

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

Bridge is used by boaters and lots of dog walkers (it leads to the park/field) and quite a few runners/joggers.

Not much used by cyclists so maybe thats why its not getting fixed :)

...............Dave

Well no one can use it now, that's my point.