Dharl

Featured Posts

We have been based at Wigrmas Turn for a couple of seasons now so have done a brief Pros / Cons list to give people an idea.     Other moorers there please feel free to add to the list, I am happy that at present there are more in te PROS list then the CONS!

PROS

Good location, junction of North / South Oxford Canal, Grand Union with easy route to Sutton Stop for the Coventry and beyound as well as Norton Junction for leicster branch and Southern GU 

Services Berth (Fuel / Gas / Pumpout / elsan)

Very good Shore Bathrooms inc showers

Moorings lounge area

Good WiFi / Phone connection

Good parking

Good field to walk the four legged crew members away from the cut

Easy walk to Napton Villiage for good pub and stores.     EAsy drive to local supermarkets for bigger shops if needed

CONS

Tricky Entrance with cross winds (only marina where I have thought that a Bow Thrust might make sense....)

Long thin jettys for the berths with 3 or 4 boats moored each side.      These jettys are only just wider than a cart used to take your kit from the car to the boat....

Usually a strong Westerly wind blowing accross the wide marina which can make manouvering on to your berth "a challenge".

A few years ago now we got trapped the wrong side of Calcutt Locks when one of the lock landings collapsed.

The folks at Wigrams let us moor there free of charge ( We moor at another Castle Marina) until the repairs were carried out.

No diesel or pump out on Saturdays due to change over of Black Prince hire boats.

We also visited with our caravan on one occasion as they also have a camping & caravan field. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Ray T said:

No diesel or pump out on Saturdays due to change over of Black Prince hire boats.

We also visited with our caravan on one occasion as they also have a camping & caravan field. 

Two very good points that I forget to mention!

We moored there for a couple of years to last April.

Yes a good marina with great staff and a great location but a few more negatives..

The walk to the pub is down a fast dangerous road with no footpath. Not good on a dark winters night.

There is no access to the tow path so although good 'internal' walks, you cant get out.

The long thin jetties were an issue for us until we  moved to the end of one of them. Bit of a car park if you are parked down the end of a jetty. If you are at the end it is a long walk to the boat from the car with  two or three trolley loads of gear.

Never had a problem mooring the boat in high cross winds as very easy to get in an out. Turning in the services area is usually ok unless very strong winds. The entrance to the marina can be fun in strong winds.

We may well go back there in a few years time.

• Greenie 1

A couple of your Pros I would put down as Cons (after mooring there for a year)

Wi Fi. Signal regularly dropped out (with aerial and router). Often very slow.

Parking. Insufficient parking with very narrow bays. Often forced to park on mud/clay   

• Greenie 1

We moored there for a couple of years.

Great choice of routes.

I can't remember it being any worse than other marinas in gusty conditions.

However, we never really felt at home there.

The long, narrow pontoons were a bit daunting when walking down them in wet/icy weather. Especially when you are moored at the far end with gaps on the way.

Parking was very congested during the summer.

The Black Prince operation took precedence over everything else on Saturdays. No diesel/pumpout available on those days to us mere mortals!

• Greenie 1

We moored there for a while 6 years ago seems the wifi has improved since then.  We couldn't even get a phone signal unless  we walked to the top of the grassy bank .

It was a  friendly place to moor and the staff were very helpful especially Kevin and his wife ( forgot her name) , I think they have both retired now.

2 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

I have considered Wigrams as a long term mooring but after several days there I cannot cope with the long thin jetties unless there are boats all the way down on both sides, I'm a bit wobbly these days.

When I was there (up to last July) I paid extra, about £250 pa, for a spot nearest dry land.

They also took me to task for using a battery powered Dremal to open out a hole from 1.25" to 1.5" in a 2mm thick plastic shower sump with it balanced on my lap in the cockpit of my semi trad NB. That was the day I decided to move.

No, they weren't worried about my 'health'. Some miserable g#t complained about my using a power tool. :argue: 

15 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

It was no better earlier this year.

Guess it depends on your network.   I am on “EE” whilst Mrs Dharl is on Vodaphone.    She struggles with phone signal but I am ok there.    

19 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

i find it fine if i grip the steering wheel firmly and cover the brake pedal with my foot.

Often nowhere to park once safely in though....

Got a high sided campervan, perhaps that’s the reason..............

normally I park on the drive on the left rather than in the car park itself.  

We looked at Wigrams but chose Nearby Calcutt, inner marina spaced out more, one boat per pontoon. Engineers and workshop in situ. Cons difficult entrance (70’) , wifi signal non existent. Only EE on mobile , 3 and Vodafone sporadic. 

• Greenie 1