Which way is best/easiest to go?

Clodi

Featured Posts

I'm just about to set off  Friday from Stockton Top on the GU to our new (to us) home mooring on the Middlewich Branch of the 'Shroppie' namely Stoke Hall Lane moorings .

Ysgyfarnog is a 57' narrowboat and I'll be mostly single-handed with a dodgy shoulder relying heavily on my trusty 'Go-windlass' ratchet lock key (works for me)

I don't really know this area or the route but looking on canalplan.org I have a choice of the more direct route 94 miles, ¾ furlongs and 126 locks, around a week at 8 hours a day. Or 3 alternative routes with fewer locks.

Alternative route 3 looks to be physically the easiest lockwise at only 66 locks but longer at 138 miles, ½ furlongs.

Whilst alternative 3 will cost more in fuel and is around 10 days longer, time is not a particular problem only that the boat is unfitted so I'll be without the usual home comforts, however at least a woodburner is in place so the dog and I won't freeze.

All observations and advice will be gratefully received. Also I don't really know what closures I should check for until I decide upon my route.

I would probably head round the Oxford, Coventry, Trent and Mersey route to avoid single handing the wide locks. At Great Haywood you have the choice of continuing on the T&M or going via the Staffs & Worcs and the Shroppie.

• Greenie 1

Not sure why you think the alternate route will take 10 days longer.  Taking the locks for miles rule, the first option is 220, where as the alternate is only 204.  At 3 miles, or locks, per hour, and 8 hour days, you are looking at 9 days 2 hours, vs 8 days 4 hours.  Given your concern with managing locks the latter is surely better for you?

If time is not an issue, how about doing the direct route but take your time?

so instead of 7 x 8 hour days, do 14 x4 hour days?

the weather is bound to be shitty so 4hrs will be enough. Do a long day when the weather is good. And make haste when you have help. 

The Trent and Mersey locks are easy to work. 

You don't say what your routes actually are.

I like going through brum, (though each time its less good as the proper pubs are in decline) but Brum is hard work, its on top of a little mountain so has loads of locks up and down.

If we are in a rush to go North-South the then Coventry is our choice, and its a nice canal with only a few easy and pleasant locks,.

The T&M is also good though "Heartbreak Hill" is slightly hard work, so I reckon North Oxford, Coventry, T&M.

If you like a drink after a days boating then the Greyhound at Sutton Stop and the Swan in Stone are essential stops, plus the Holy Inadequate if you don't mind stopping in Stoke on Trent.

.............Dave

46 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I would probably head round the Oxford, Coventry, Trent and Mersey route to avoid single handing the wide locks. At Great Haywood you have the choice of continuing on the T&M or going via the Staffs & Worcs and the Shroppie.

16 minutes ago, john6767 said:

North Oxford, Coventry, T&M is going to be the easiest, and you will only have 3 wide locks rather than 43 going via Birmingham.  If you are going to take your time don’t forget to check for stoppages.

Agreed. Also wise for the OP to note these contributors do a lot of boating in this area.

I have a similar decision to make to get from Braunston to Droitwich before the end of the month. I came out along the GU Birmingham line but those wide locks really are hard work even when sharing and to go 23 locks down to cross the Avon just to go 23 locks back up the other side is a bit much when single handing. Having done it on the way out I’ll be going back via Fazeley. Done the same the past two years. Narrow locks are so much easier when single handing.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

What @Rob-M said. Minimise the wide locks if you are single handing. N Oxford, Coventry/B&F, T&M.

Jen

Not sure why. The main wide locks from Stockton Top are the Stockton Locks and then Hatton. However, I would have thought that you would not have to wait too long to comply with the exhortation to share locks - which in your case would be a bonus.

4 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Not sure why. The main wide locks from Stockton Top are the Stockton Locks and then Hatton. However, I would have thought that you would not have to wait too long to comply with the exhortation to share locks - which in your case would be a bonus.

Do you single hand? The reality is Clodi will immediately face 43 wide locks that are fairly continuous - the 5 mile sump pound is the only real break - and it’s damned hard work even sharing unless you think it’s OK letting someone else do all your work for you. Sharing locks when single handed is a mixed blessing. It can be helpful but it more often than not isn’t. Last Saturday I assisted a hire boat with a crew of 5 male adults up Buckby locks including working them through lock no 9 while they all stayed aboard. They were genuinely quicker with my assistance but it didn’t make a whole lot of difference to my workload or time. Not that I minded because they were decent company and it’s my job to work my own boat.

I’d take all 66 narrow locks to get to Middlewich over just those 43 on the Birmingham line any day never mind the extra mileage.

JP

24 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

This time of year you may have to wait quite a while!!

If moving a boat N/S or vice versa, and time is of the essence, its miss out Birmingham every time unless I know I'm going to catch the GU at a heavy traffic moving time of year(festival movements, summer holidays etc). Long lock free sections on the N Oxford and Coventry make it a doddle, and there probably isnt much difference in fuel used with all the stopping for and starting away from locks.

I did do Stockton, Hatton and Lapworth in one long day in Mid June 2 years ago, 5am start, 10.30pm finish, accompanied by several boats (only did 2 wide locks on my own)....I certainly wouldnt consider it at this time of year.

Edited by matty40s

9 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Sharing locks when single handed is a mixed blessing. It can be helpful but it more often than not isn’t. Last Saturday I assisted a hire boat with a crew of 5 male adults up Buckby locks including working them through lock no 9 while they all stayed aboard. They were genuinely quicker with my assistance but it didn’t make a whole lot of difference to my workload or time. Not that I minded because they were decent company and it’s my job to work my own boat.

Last week came down Braunston sharing with another boat , two boats ahead of us, with one single hander who worked as a team.    The boat I shared with just the husband did ALL the boat handling and ALL of the locks whilst his wife sat and supervised.    Mrs Dharl did our boat handling (she is getting pretty good but don’t tell her I said so!) whilst I did the locks with the dog supervising from the tow path.   Got a system with the other guy getting to the next  lock first and setting it up whilst I closed up the previous lock and clambered over the gates and did the paddles.   Glad it was only 6 wide locks to deal with! 

33 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Minimise the wide locks if you are single handing. N Oxford, Coventry/B&F, T&M.

40 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Agreed. Also wise for the OP to note these contributors do a lot of boating in this area

Thank You to everybody who has read and commented. I shall opt for this, hopefully less punishing route and pray the gods smile down on me, who knows I may be safely moored up 'Home' before we leave the EU .

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Clodi said:

Thank You to everybody who has read and commented. I shall opt for this, hopefully less punishing route and pray the gods smile down on me, who knows I may be safely moored up 'Home' before we leave the EU .

If you’re thinking of taking that long you’d better watch out for the winter stoppages ?

Good cruising on the North Oxford and Coventry. Proper canal environment too. A visit to the Greyhound is mandatory. None shall pass Sutton Stop without. Those are the rules.

JP

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Do you single hand? The reality is Clodi will immediately face 43 wide locks that are fairly continuous - the 5 mile sump pound is the only real break - and it’s damned hard work even sharing unless you think it’s OK letting someone else do all your work for you. Sharing locks when single handed is a mixed blessing. It can be helpful but it more often than not isn’t. Last Saturday I assisted a hire boat with a crew of 5 male adults up Buckby locks including working them through lock no 9 while they all stayed aboard. They were genuinely quicker with my assistance but it didn’t make a whole lot of difference to my workload or time. Not that I minded because they were decent company and it’s my job to work my own boat.

I’d take all 66 narrow locks to get to Middlewich over just those 43 on the Birmingham line any day never mind the extra mileage.

JP

I do not find the comparison narrow v wide quite so simple: instinctively, yes, narrow should be easier and usually required less line handling, if only boat in wide lock. However, it depends on which narrow and which wide. Some narrow locks either involve leaping across bottom gates or quite a bit of walking when there is no bridge below. Some narrow locks have longer top and bottom tails which make it easier to hold a boat whilst shutting gates. However, most narrow locks will require both sides of paddles to be opened but the Hatton and Stockton Locks can just as effectively be worked from one side only. If you really are on your own, then by the time you have fully opened one paddle and crossed to the other it is of little effect.

I was not making any sort of recommendation as much depends on individual taste and working methods. However, I really don't think that it is as clear cut as some make out.

And yes, I do know about single handing,. going back more years than I would wish but in general I choose not to but that is little to do with effective lock operation! In any event, when working a flight, especially narrow, our commonest mode of operation is for the other person to go ahead and set a lock whilst I bring the boat through and close up.

One of the intriguing facets of canal operation is that there are at least as many ways of doing it as there are boaters! By all means watch what others do and learn, but in the end it is what suits you and your lifestyle that matters. Also, sometimes the characteristics of the route between locks may influence the choice, especially if looking for places to stop and possibly go off to the pub, shop or whatever. I don't think we have ever chosen a route on the basis of the number of locks or their width.

• Greenie 3

To be fair I'm not really too bothered about the width of locks. I'm actually disabled so any lock is a chore in itself which I have to manage. As I stated in my original post I'm not really up to date with the waterways in question I'm about to cover and value greatly the opinions of those 'in the know'.

As the saying goes " Mann Trach, Un Gott Lacht" as long as get there in one piece I'll be happy, my kids think I'll be lucky to get there for Christmas :rolleyes:

27 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I do not find the comparison narrow v wide quite so simple: instinctively, yes, narrow should be easier and usually required less line handling, if only boat in wide lock. However, it depends on which narrow and which wide. Some narrow locks either involve leaping across bottom gates or quite a bit of walking when there is no bridge below. Some narrow locks have longer top and bottom tails which make it easier to hold a boat whilst shutting gates. However, most narrow locks will require both sides of paddles to be opened but the Hatton and Stockton Locks can just as effectively be worked from one side only. If you really are on your own, then by the time you have fully opened one paddle and crossed to the other it is of little effect.

I was not making any sort of recommendation as much depends on individual taste and working methods. However, I really don't think that it is as clear cut as some make out.

And yes, I do know about single handing,. going back more years than I would wish but in general I choose not to but that is little to do with effective lock operation! In any event, when working a flight, especially narrow, our commonest mode of operation is for the other person to go ahead and set a lock whilst I bring the boat through and close up.

One of the intriguing facets of canal operation is that there are at least as many ways of doing it as there are boaters! By all means watch what others do and learn, but in the end it is what suits you and your lifestyle that matters. Also, sometimes the characteristics of the route between locks may influence the choice, especially if looking for places to stop and possibly go off to the pub, shop or whatever. I don't think we have ever chosen a route on the basis of the number of locks or their width.

Hatton and Knowle locks are great for single handed, one paddle fills and empties all but one or two, and going up, opening the paddle on the boat side pins the boat nicely to the side you are working on - very unlike the locks on the southern GU! The only issue at Knowle is the wind...

2 hours ago, BWM said:

Hatton and Knowle locks are great for single handed, one paddle fills and empties all but one or two, and going up, opening the paddle on the boat side pins the boat nicely to the side you are working on - very unlike the locks on the southern GU! The only issue at Knowle is the wind...

I would have said that the only issue at Knowle is the eddy from a lock emptying. How do I know . . . ?

2 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I would have said that the only issue at Knowle is the eddy from a lock emptying. How do I know . . . ?

I was probably spinning around in the wind too much to notice! 

Not such an issue on your own as generally set 2 - 3 ahead, ended up walking back to close the gates whilst in the top lock.

21 hours ago, john6767 said:

North Oxford, Coventry, T&M is going to be the easiest, and you will only have 3 wide locks rather than 43 going via Birmingham.  If you are going to take your time don’t forget to check for stoppages.

BTW, there are stoppages effecting the T&M from 4 Nov, particularly relevant to the the OP is the one just before you get to Middlewich (given that is at the end of the trip).

11 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

To your mooring, the Shroppie is a better bet than Cheshire locks.

Not so sure, last month we came back from the Lancaster to Napton via the T&M and the Cheshire locks, they are some of the easiest locks out there, even going up (the OP will of course be doing down).  Mostly helped by every lock of that part of the T&M having a bridge over the tail of the lock.

19 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I've turned circles there as well 

I waved at you as you went past my house yesterday, we were clearing up after cutting back the hedge.

I almost didn't recognise you because you weren't wearing your red jump suit. ?