November 2019 Waterways World

zenataomm

Featured Posts

I haven't bought a Canal Comic in years mainly being because since I started in the early 70s I've read and reread the same articles repeatedly and I object paying a fiver for mainly adverts.

However with an hour and a half to kill at Kings Cross Station I plumped for the above publication, and it was great fun.

First thing to grab my attention was an advert from Eton Mess Boatbuilders extolling the positives of turning to them for a new boat.  Their advert didn't convince me as I felt they may not have the eye for detail I'd require when it comes to quality.

WP_20191008_15_39_27_Pro.jpg.75c628cc9a4bce0e04468fe30a7fb825.jpg

I then discovered The IWA may have committed themselves to an offer similar to the one that nearly bankrupted Hoover back in 1992 when they offered free flights to America OOPSY!

WP_20191008_15_41_09_Pro.jpg.3cba54760c95be2062f26121ff49a42e.jpg

Thank goodness their "Full Scale" map of the UK's Waterways is unique, we wouldn't want too many of those drifting around Britain would we?

As tempted as I might be, I have to admit I've simply no where to keep one.

Could you imagine when you wanted to fold it up you'd have to ask everyone in the country to get off it first. Nightmare!

I then went on to read an article entitled  "Wide Beam Guide Cruising Routes"

The opening paragraph: -

"All Britain's navigable rivers are open to the barge-owner, from the royal River Thames, to the mighty Severn and Trent.  There are many canals to help you get from one to another - and which provide enjoyable cruising in themselves."

It does continue about "low bridges" and "Slightly narrower locks than usual" ?????

However for me the winning paragraph was the last one: -

"You can't get from one (River) to the other by canal.  But if your boat is good enough and you have some experience, you can make the passage on coastal waters" !!!!!!

If I was fresh to Inland Waterways and had shed loads of dosh that article wouldn't suggest any issues to me nor would it even cause me to wonder if I needed to research about particular details let alone where or why.  If this is how new boaters are being reeled in, no wonder we're facing the problems we are.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

It was Waterways World (as in title)

!Duh!  (didn't read the title) - I come from the days when comics were printed on newsprint and came down from Dundee (not glossy paper from what used to be the home of British Beer).

That rag hasn't been the same since the Church Organist retired...

Note to self  - read everything on the page before commenting.