Ponty Still Lit.

rusty69

Featured Posts

Wow, those are dramatic! I assume CART did the illumination.  What a pity that they could not have spared a few of the light bulbs to replace the ones in Newbold tunnel, none of which now works.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Wow, those are dramatic! I assume CART did the illumination.  What a pity that they could not have spared a few of the light bulbs to replace the ones in Newbold tunnel, none of which now works.

Which IMO is a good job, better things to spend money on than coloured lights in tunnels 

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Which IMO is a good job, better things to spend money on than coloured lights in tunnels 

...and, one could argue, coloured lights under hackerducks.

They're still dramatic though.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I do, did CRT pay, I dont think they paid for Newbold

I don't know. I assumed so (it was probably still BW in those days, but same difference), unless perhaps the local council did.

Somebody here will know!

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I do, did CRT pay, I dont think they paid for Newbold

I stand correction but I think the lights in Newbold Tunnel are the responsibility of Rugby B C.

ETA: https://www.grannybuttons.com/granny_buttons/2009/03/newbold-tunnel-son-et-lumiere.html

"The £200,000 joint project from BW and Rugby Council must have seemed a great idea when it was installed nearly four years ago.  Here is Waterscape's original announcement. (Link now gone.)

I suppose it still is a great idea, although including it as part of Rugby Council's 2005 'Diwali' celebrations - complete with bhangra dancers - must have stuck in the craw of canal purists and seemed bizarre to the locals and boaters." 

Edited by Ray T
  • Happy 1

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Wow, those are dramatic! I assume CART did the illumination.

You don’t need to assume anything if you read the link.  Then you’d discover that:

Each site is unique and is either graded, a scheduled monument or both and will be lit up by expert lighting company Enlightened of Bristol for two hours each evening from 7.30pm - 9.30pm.

52 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

You don’t need to assume anything if you read the link.  Then you’d discover that:

Each site is unique and is either graded, a scheduled monument or both and will be lit up by expert lighting company Enlightened of Bristol for two hours each evening from 7.30pm - 9.30pm.

But who is paying Enlightened of Bristol?

52 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But who is paying Enlightened of Bristol?

If you clicked on the link, you’d read:

This project would not have been possible without funding from Visit Wales and the National Lottery Heritage Fund

15 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

If you clicked on the link, you’d read:

This project would not have been possible without funding from Visit Wales and the National Lottery Heritage Fund

But that doesn't mean they are meeting the full cost, just that their contribution was necessary. So how much (if any)  have CRT put in?

5 minutes ago, jocave said:

The car park and every avaliable space on the road is rammed so it's attracting a lot of people

IMG-20191008-WA0001.jpg

What would be perfect is a convoy of lit boats crossing the lit duct. Telford would approve me thinks.

Make it so CRT

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, jocave said:

The car park and every avaliable space on the road is rammed so it's attracting a lot of people

IMG-20191008-WA0001.jpg

Another 400,000,000 'visits to a waterway' tonight then for CRT big cheeses to use to justify their salaries eh?

• Horror 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Another 400,000,000 'visits to a waterway' tonight then for CRT big cheeses to use to justify their salaries eh?

Hey , you're smart, what is this clever underlining thingy that when hovered over tells you what the acronym is? Is it summit new?

31 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Hey , you're smart, what is this clever underlining thingy that when hovered over tells you what the acronym is? Is it summit new?

Dunno, not so smart as to have noticed it like wot u are.....

I suspect it might be a new clever underlining thingy that when hovered over tells you what the acronym is.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Dunno, not so smart as to have noticed it like wot u are.....

I suspect it might be a new clever underlining thingy that when hovered over tells you what the acronym is.

Fear not. I have dun a scien tif ic experiment. See above. 

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Blimey, the duct even has it's own facebook page, which is more than I have. It seems odd that there are no illuminating pictures on it though. I wonder who's page it is? 

https://www.facebook.com/Pontcysyllte.Aqueduct/

Don't be silly it's an aqueduct, how can it hold the phone at arms length for a night time selfie?