Canal Boat Diaries - Robbie Cummings

Jo_

Featured Posts

41 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

Watched the Ellesmere Port to Audlem stretch last night. I would have loved to see any of the "celebrity" boaters  off the other boating programmes going down the weedhatch or climbing up the lock ladders.

I was waiting to see how he managed Beeston iron lock (no lock ladders)  on his own but someone helped him.

The lack of lock ladders is a problem, but the big issue is the bridge below the bottom gate, meaning than it's a lot harder to simply pull your boat through with a rope.  When I got to the bottom of the lock, there was a boat ahead already going up, so I made myself look as pitiful as possible and the lovely skipper took the bait and asked one of his crew to hang back and help me.  Then they waited for me in the next lock and we did the rest of the wide locks together, which was lovely.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Pie Eater said:

Watched the Ellesmere Port to Audlem stretch last night. I would have loved to see any of the "celebrity" boaters  off the other boating programmes going down the weedhatch or climbing up the lock ladders.

I was waiting to see how he managed Beeston iron lock (no lock ladders)  on his own but someone helped him.

Help at Beeston Iron is always welcome. Otherwise its a rope hauling job.

55 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

We had "Still open all hours" instead down in the south west. Don't know why - who'd want to sully the great Ronnie Barker's legacy with that tripe?  Anyway, no-one down here would have understood a bloomin' word.

NW had the Ellesmere Port episode. I thought it was Ep1 but apparently it is Ep4. "Still Open All Hours" was on BBC1HD. The Canal Diaries were only on SD - a tad confusing.

7 minutes ago, Psychalist said:

NW had the Ellesmere Port episode. I thought it was Ep1 but apparently it is Ep4. "Still Open All Hours" was on BBC1HD. The Canal Diaries were only on SD - a tad confusing.

It’s a regional slot, and HD can’t (yet) show different programmes in regions.  Regions will only get the episode that relates to their region, which is why the NW got Ep4 and the SW didn’t get one at all.  But then it’s a BBC4 production, so any slot on BBC1 will be seen as a bonus (and BBC4 will be hoping it inspires people to look out the rest).

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Is there any way to download  them from the website or can you only watch in real time

?

The iPlayer app lets you download stuff to watch off line, done it many times in the old days when you used to go places on a plane.

1 hour ago, adam1uk said:

It’s a regional slot, and HD can’t (yet) show different programmes in regions.  Regions will only get the episode that relates to their region, which is why the NW got Ep4 and the SW didn’t get one at all.  But then it’s a BBC4 production, so any slot on BBC1 will be seen as a bonus (and BBC4 will be hoping it inspires people to look out the rest).

And in Lowestoft we get nowt

41 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Was there not a plan to install ladders in Beeston Iron? 

It was down for the last shutdown but I think it may have been more involved than the bloke who said "there is no ladder its not safe" even thought about.

53 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

He does mention in one of the episodes having a producer (I think it was) with him. He must have someone who does all the drone filming.

There is, but its was agreed he was totally hands off. A bit in Waterways World about it.

40 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Difficult with the bend in it. Its been a long while since two 70 foot boats could go in together.

I watched two full length ex working boats go through together and a full length hotel pair go through in the last 5 years.

39 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It was down for the last shutdown but I think it may have been more involved than the bloke who said "there is no ladder its not safe" even thought about.

Ah right, I thought I'd seen it on a plan in recent years. Obviously not feasible then. 

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have dried my stern rope on the pin for 40+ years, its the pin that makes the difference, its never fallen off ---  yet.

Not Kosher but I don't hang my stern rope on the tiller pin/tiller but I do do this:

1556419730_Sternrope.JPG.01eb51aa20741e76a9b5c2374cc7b897.JPG

Never had it fall off or unravel yet.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I noticed the water was only a couple of inches below the level of his weed hatch - that seemed a bit odd too. Haven't watched all episodes yet but the boat seems in pretty poor shape.

He was removing ballast at Stourport when he had his rudder fixed