Canal Boat Diaries - Robbie Cummings

Jo_

Featured Posts

Following lifted from his Facebook page:

"We have a confirmed date and time for the regional transmission for ‘Canal Boat Diaries’ as 7.30pm BBC One on 18th November! ....
"This will be a regional premiere ... with Episode 1 (Shardlow in Derbyshire to Stoke on Trent) will screen in the East Midlands, whilst those in the West Midlands will see episode 2 (Caldon Canal, Macclesfield, Peak Forest). At the same time, episode 3 will air in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire (BBC Leeds) and episode 4 will be shown in the North West (BBC Manchester)! The very next day (all 5) episodes will pop up on iPlayer apparently — even before they’ve been properly aired on BBC Four! Very unusual but then it’s an unusual programme compared to most BBC documentaries!
... https://youtu.be/023llBlT7_4"

So .... if I'm reading that right and you have Freesat and a superduper recording device, you can watch one region and record all the others !!! Or wait till the next day ....

robbie cumming.jpg

14 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

isn't the whole point of a series to show them in a logical numerical order?

which genius thought up this "regional premiere" guff?

Not necessarily. A series could quite easily be and often is a series of discrete, independent stories that stand alone.

What does episode one of Antiques Roadshow contain that it would make it impossible to watch episode twenty of Antiques Roadshow without having seen the first one? It's still a series.

Edited by NB Caelmiri

• 1 month later...

Through the wonders of technology,which Mrs. Athy knows how to work, we watched all four episodes (so far) in one evening! While he's not the world's greatest presenter, and he seems to have a fixation with showing himself pulling out his engine stop, it was a relaxing and pleasant couple of hours.

Agree, we were enjoying watching this, time-shifted with our Humax Freeview recorder but disaster has struck. After a brief power cut yesterday, the recorded files list has disappeared from the menus on the box. Have tried the first basic solutions, restarting, turning power off for ten minutes and so on without success. Have tried leaving it unplugged overnight but not yet been able to check if it’s helped.

If not, and I’m not sanguine, the only remaining options are a factory reset and then opening it up to check for loose connections to the hard drive (it’s well out of warranty). Not worth paying for repair, so may have to buy a new PVR and see if the old hard drive will fit in a cassette to recover the files from it.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but the pain is still raw, there’s all of His Dark Materials on there I was saving up to watch ?.

38 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Agree, we were enjoying watching this, time-shifted with our Humax Freeview recorder but disaster has struck. After a brief power cut yesterday, the recorded files list has disappeared from the menus on the box. Have tried the first basic solutions, restarting, turning power off for ten minutes and so on without success. Have tried leaving it unplugged overnight but not yet been able to check if it’s helped.

If not, and I’m not sanguine, the only remaining options are a factory reset and then opening it up to check for loose connections to the hard drive (it’s well out of warranty). Not worth paying for repair, so may have to buy a new PVR and see if the old hard drive will fit in a cassette to recover the files from it.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but the pain is still raw, there’s all of His Dark Materials on there I was saving up to watch ?.

Maybe you could get Santa to bring you a 2019/20 diary and you could move out of the 1990s and stream both of those programmes from BBC iPlayer? ;)

To be a bit more helpful, you can get an hdd-usb lead for a couple of quid that will let you connect the hdd to a pc/laptop, so no need to let a cassette get in the way. I've actually used such a lead to plug an old hdd into my tv to record programmes and in fact, although I don't do that anymore,  it's still plugged in because it also allows me to pause live tv.  If you're considering a new Hummy, you might instead consider a new tv that allows usb recording and get something new out of the deal.

32 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Factory reset is the way to go but be careful you don't chose the option to reformat the hard drive!

If that does not work, I would suggest you ask for advice on myhumax.org.

Thanks, both, good advice. my humax.org was the source of the strategies I’m trying, useful site. One thing they’re unanimous about, don’t expect help from Humax! ?

Come to think of it, the TV’s a bit long in the tooth so a total restock might be the way to go for the benefit of my widow... (I’m not expected to be around much longer, pancreatic cancer doesn’t take prisoners, but don’t let’s go there, let’s stick with the excellent Mr Cummings.)

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, rustynewbery said:

What's more, it shows the reality of being on a boat.  

Also shows that it can be done and enjoyed on a cheap boat and not a floating, super shiny  show home, that some people seem to think is a necessity and look down their noses at people like Robbie. Enjoyable series.

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Thanks, both, good advice. my humax.org was the source of the strategies I’m trying, useful site. One thing they’re unanimous about, don’t expect help from Humax! ?

Just for the sake of closure, a Factory Reset did the job and wasn’t too drastic, just had to let the auto channel search run afterwards.

Thanks again, folks.

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wouldn't want to be down his weed hatch if it was a bit choppy 

i'm kind of jealous, to get at our prop it's all boards up, lay on the engine and reach down the hatch up to the armpit to get at the prop. that said, putting my arm in doesn't cause the hatch to overflow instantly, or indeed at all. so swings and roundabouts I guess :)

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

Just for the sake of closure, a Factory Reset did the job and wasn’t too drastic, just had to let the auto channel search run afterwards.

Thanks again, folks.

Back to the 1990s it is then! ;)

I've had 2 or 3 Hummys actually. The most recent (a relative term, we've had it donkey's years) is a freesat PVR and is fitted in the boat just in case I want satellite tv. It's not really earning its keep since streaming over mobile phone interweb became so convenient, but it does still work a treat, it hangs under a shelf taking up no room and its keep is £0.00 so it lives on. Good kit.

Loved the programme: we've watched the episodes as they were broadcast, which is very unusual in our house.

The only weakness I felt it had was that while he mentioned having met great people, the overall tone of the programme was one of solitude. I'm not asking for hours of tales of people on the cut but a couple of shots of him chatting on the bank, with no audible conversation, would have softened the impression that he didn't talk to anyone for six months. However, he's the guy with a TV series, so I bow to the fact that he was probably aiming for that mood.

I did particularly like the fact that he didn't make it out to be all plain sailing.

A good watch.

Edited by Onionman
  • Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Onionman said:

Loved the programme: we've watched the episodes as they were broadcast, which is very unusual in our house.

The only weakness I felt it had was that while he mentioned having met great people, the overall tone of the programme was one of solitude. I'm not asking for hours of tales of people on the cut but a couple of shots of him chatting on the bank, with no audible conversation, would have softened the impression that he didn't talk to anyone for six months. However, he's the guy with a TV series, so I bow to the fact that he was probably aiming for that mood.

I did particularly like the fact that he didn't make it out to be all plain sailing.

A good watch.

MrsS had exactly the same reaction to the programme.

• 1 year later...

There was an episode on BBC1 last night which surprised me, he went from Stourport down the Severn to Worcester then up to Tardebigge and down Lapworth.  There are the 4 episodes of series 2 on iPlayer now which covers Ellesmere Port to Birmingham via Stourport, Worcester and Kingswood Junction.

13 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

There was an episode on BBC1 last night which surprised me, he went from Stourport down the Severn to Worcester then up to Tardebigge and down Lapworth.  There are the 4 episodes of series 2 on iPlayer now which covers Ellesmere Port to Birmingham via Stourport, Worcester and Kingswood Junction.

They showed different programs in different areas, I have only found 2 on Iplayer so far, still looking

Watched the Ellesmere Port to Audlem stretch last night. I would have loved to see any of the "celebrity" boaters  off the other boating programmes going down the weedhatch or climbing up the lock ladders.

I was waiting to see how he managed Beeston iron lock (no lock ladders)  on his own but someone helped him.