Winter moorings how quick do you need to book

Pirateringo

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, Dave123 said:

Also don't get the point of them. Many are not in good locations. Eg the ones at Wolvercote just north of Oxford last year were on crumbling muddy bank too shallow to get close to the edge! The one in Berkhamsted has room for only 1 boat and is very far from the town centre. But not actually complaining as I prefer moving all winter anyway...Get bored after just 1 week at the same mooring so too many winter moorings clogs up places for moving boats.?‍♂️

No-one is required to take them! (And in some case nobody does . . .) but they are there for those who do want them. Demand does change over time. Nantwich used to have quite a long stretch of long term moorings but they started to go untaken so they have reverted to being visitor moorings. I guess much depends on where boat people can get work. I know someone who tried it from Nantwich but found it very difficult.

14 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Water dropping and the flood gates are now open, we are moving out of Kings on Thursday.

But the crossing at Alrewas still closed. Hopefully open on Sunday when we get there but lots of standing water on the fields coming down from Stone and river running very fast.

The problem with CRT winter moorings is that they generally aren't much cheaper than putting your boat in a marina with all the benefits of security, water, elsan, leccy etc.  Why anyone would pay for one escapes me.  If I could take a winter mooring in the centre of Brum for £50 a month, I might be interested.  The only one I've seen is more than twice that, and that's of the cheapest price bands.

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

The problem with CRT winter moorings is that they generally aren't much cheaper than putting your boat in a marina with all the benefits of security, water, elsan, leccy etc.  Why anyone would pay for one escapes me.  If I could take a winter mooring in the centre of Brum for £50 a month, I might be interested.  The only one I've seen is more than twice that, and that's of the cheapest price bands.

£67.50 a month for my 35ft boat, cheapest band. It would be double that in the cheapest marina. I don't need electricity, elsan etc. when I'm in the southern hemisphere. That's why I pay for one. I'm sure others have other valid reasons why they too pay for one. 

2 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

£67.50 a month for my 35ft boat, cheapest band. It would be double that in the cheapest marina. I don't need electricity, elsan etc. when I'm in the southern hemisphere. That's why I pay for one. I'm sure others have other valid reasons why they too pay for one. 

No it wouldn't

I have noticed another oddity.  Didn't it used to be that winter moorings ran up to the end of March?

5 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

http://www.barbymoorings.co.uk/Fees.htm

£100 a month, up to 70' with electric hook up, security and use of marina facilities.

That's just one I know of.  I'm sure there's plenty of other deals to be had out there.

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

No it wouldn't

I have noticed another oddity.  Didn't it used to be that winter moorings ran up to the end of March?

How much for a mooring for a 35ft boat with all the facilities you describe, for 2 months? If you could point me in the direction of one on the Macclesfield/ Peak Forest, for 2 months only, for less than £100 a month I'd be delighted to hear about it.

Just now, The Welsh Cruiser said:

How much for a mooring for a 35ft boat with all the facilities you describe, for 2 months? If you could point me in the direction of one on the Macclesfield/ Peak Forest, for 2 months only, for less than £100 a month I'd be delighted to hear about it.

Sorry, I don't know that area well.  Try ringing round?  Loads of deals to be had for a little boat like that i would think.

Just now, doratheexplorer said:

Sorry, I don't know that area well.  Try ringing round?  Loads of deals to be had for a little boat like that i would think.

I know all the marinas they start at £1500 a year or £125 a month. They charge a premium on top of this for shorter stays, 2 months for example.

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

poor you for being in that area then.  Maybe cruise down to Barby?

Well not really, I have elderly parents nearby. I don't care for them but I don't like to be too far away. I guess the winter moorings make sense and are good value for boaters with particular circumstances/ needs but probably not for the majority. Hopefully both camps, so to speak, can understand each other.  

1 hour ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Location, location, location.

1 hour ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

44 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Well not really, I have elderly parents nearby. I don't care for them but I don't like to be too far away. I guess the winter moorings make sense and are good value for boaters with particular circumstances/ needs but probably not for the majority. Hopefully both camps, so to speak, can understand each other.  

Sounds to me like you are getting as far away from them for the Winter as you can - but - you cannot take the boat down to Barby before you fly off !

Something not stacking up.

• Haha 1