Winter moorings how quick do you need to book

Pirateringo

Featured Posts

Hi all. My wife and I are going to be leaving our marina too constantly cruise which was always the plan, once we'd sorted boat out. We will want a winter mooring next yearand just wondered how quick do they sell out? Are they like Glastonbury tickets or can you get them a few days after release. 

Cheers 

34 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Some were sold out in less than 10 minutes this year. Bear in mind CRT are reviewing the whole idea of winter moorings before next year. For the cost of them and what you get I dont know why anyone takes them up

I wonder what's driven this review? It seems to me that they make a fair amount of revenue for little cost.

You would think that the visitor moorings in Nantwich would have been popular.  Service block and water point a couple of hundred yards away, easy short walk into the town, but I don't think a single one was taken up last year.

Not surprising really as they all stayed on the 48 hour moorings for most of the winter apparently without being hassled by CRT.

I think they are very price sensitive. I booked on Whitely Green near Bollington last year, at the lowest price. Most of it was booked within hours. It's gone up to £8.50 a metre this year for some reason and last time I checked, nobody had booked it. Furness Vale last year was in the second price band but this year it's in the cheapest band, all booked up almost straight away. 

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Some were sold out in less than 10 minutes this year. Bear in mind CRT are reviewing the whole idea of winter moorings before next year. For the cost of them and what you get I dont know why anyone takes them up

Exactly. We were looking around at mooring generally before buying our boat and some canal side moorings were well in excess of a full serviced marina. Seems odd to pay so much for so little,

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

4 months which equates to eight moves on the CC Calendar I have to ask why would you ? It wasn't too bad when initially they were near 6 months but apparently they were lessened to 4 because Hire Companies wanted to take advantage of the Easter Break ? It seems to me that they are now largely occupied by Boaters who have recently exited Marinas baulking at the cost and simply Bridgehop the rest of the year , most of them on the GU South being of the Widebeam Variety

9 hours ago, dor said:

You would think that the visitor moorings in Nantwich would have been popular.  Service block and water point a couple of hundred yards away, easy short walk into the town, but I don't think a single one was taken up last year.

Not surprising really as they all stayed on the 48 hour moorings for most of the winter apparently without being hassled by CRT.

From my experience Dor CRT arent too fussy where you moor as long as you have paid your money . Wether you choose to move 100 yards closer to a car park for example is not an issue for them . Obviously I dont know if thats the case with the instance you quote but it may be .

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, pearley said:

Newark, electric and water on floating pontoon and elsan a short walk away but in the cheapest band!

And a lovely spot if a bit of water doesnt worry you. I reckon CART towpath winter moorings are a con, we wintered year before last in a marina with all facilities, water, leccy etc for just a few shillings more than a boggy CART winter mooring.

• Greenie 1

Also don't get the point of them. Many are not in good locations. Eg the ones at Wolvercote just north of Oxford last year were on crumbling muddy bank too shallow to get close to the edge! The one in Berkhamsted has room for only 1 boat and is very far from the town centre. But not actually complaining as I prefer moving all winter anyway...Get bored after just 1 week at the same mooring so too many winter moorings clogs up places for moving boats.?‍♂️

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

And a lovely spot if a bit of water doesnt worry you. I reckon CART towpath winter moorings are a con, we wintered year before last in a marina with all facilities, water, leccy etc for just a few shillings more than a boggy CART winter mooring.

Yes, we were in Kings Marina in Newark last year and have booked again for this winter. Just have to let the Trent subside a bit.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, pearley said:

Yes, we were in Kings Marina in Newark last year and have booked again for this winter. Just have to let the Trent subside a bit.

Kings is great. Small and intimate and friendly. Very good sloopermarkets and pubs nearby. Dont let the forumites know though as some of them that think the Trent is a foreign country might start using it and bag yer winter mooring :D

• Haha 1

The winter moorings suit me. 2 months for my 35ft boat while I go away works out at £135.00. For some reason that includes a 10% discount, it should have been reduced to 5%, but I'm not complaining. Any marina would work out much more expensive than that. That's the lowest price band, I agree that the higher bands are poor value for money.  

9 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

The winter moorings suit me. 2 months for my 35ft boat while I go away works out at £135.00. For some reason that includes a 10% discount, it should have been reduced to 5%, but I'm not complaining. Any marina would work out much more expensive than that. That's the lowest price band, I agree that the higher bands are poor value for money.  

You'd probably get that on an overstay if you talk nicely to CRT , save some money

6 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Do you mean if I was honest with them, tell them that I'm going on holiday for 2 months?

Yes absolutely , its a relatively commonplace thing down here especially amongst older Boaters . some even have restricted Cruising Plans via a Doctors Letter .

I'd be worried about security if leaving the boat for 2 months on a towpath (both coming adrift or broken into) as I think many lower band sites need mooring pins? Depends on location I guess. Some would be fine no doubt and have armco maybe?

1 minute ago, Dave123 said:

I'd be worried about security if leaving the boat for 2 months on a towpath (both coming adrift or broken into) as I think many lower band sites need mooring pins? Depends on location I guess. Some would be fine no doubt and have armco maybe?

Fair comment Dave , most would leave them opposite the Permanent Moorings down where I am and I dont recall them having any trouble . Horses for courses but I point I was seeking to make was that its both permissible and relatively commonplace .

I was on the same mooring as The Welsh Cruiser ( Whiteley Green) the previous year when I couldn't get back to my home mooring because of the Marple closure.  I was very happy to leave it there for a month at a time; one of the other boats was occupied.  There is quite a good pub 200 yards away, and some very good ones and shopping in Bollington a pleasant 15 minute walk away.  Armco to moor to.  Suited me down to the ground.  If I'd been a liveaboard, however, I'd probably have popped back and forth between Gurnett and Whaley bridge, as I did until the end of November.

17 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I think they are very price sensitive. I booked on Whitely Green near Bollington last year, at the lowest price. Most of it was booked within hours. It's gone up to £8.50 a metre this year for some reason and last time I checked, nobody had booked it. Furness Vale last year was in the second price band but this year it's in the cheapest band, all booked up almost straight away. 

But can you get there?