Alternator for XD3P Peugeot - Identify mine!

yotboy

Featured Posts

On 07/10/2019 at 17:17, Alan de Enfield said:

Just do a search for a Peugeot 504 or 505 alternator and that'll be the one you want.

I would suggest that you upgrade the regulator from 14v to 14.4 or 14.6 volt as 14v is not really high enough for boat use.

Agree on the voltage, I have a 14.6 regulator.  The 504/505/Boxer/Balero etc search doesn't produce anything I can use, but thanks.

On 07/10/2019 at 18:38, system 4-50 said:

That must be a contender for CWDF query of the year 2019 award, for the detail submitted without having to be asked. :)

Thank you.  I try!

On 07/10/2019 at 17:22, Boater Sam said:

Leece Neville Prestolite universal mounting alternator?

http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_buy/distributor_listing.php?country_id=20&cid=0

Thanks - I'm going to end up finding any alternator that will fit.  Certain dimensions are critical, hence the hope that someone would have an EUREKA moment and come back with the part number!

On 07/10/2019 at 17:15, mrsmelly said:

Take it to any decent auto ekectrical place, there are many about and they will refurb it for you.

It's not up for refurb.  Casing's broken, slip rings are down to nothing.  Hence the enquiry.  Thanks.

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

I think it is a standard Bosch alternator and I think the regulators are probably a standard fitting across the range so A suitably rated Bosch regulator from someone like Cargo  will probably do the job.

Agree, it's probably Bosch, but an online search doesn't reveal anything in Bosch history that looks remotely like it.  I'll see if it's possible to enquire directly with them.  Thank you.

On 11/10/2019 at 12:48, Tony Brooks said:

What annoys me is that I am sure that I have worked on one of those but can't remember what vehicle it came off. However I think there is every chance a Lucas A127 clone will fit

I did indeed get a clone of the same physical size to fi the space available.  There are of course 100's of alternators that would fit and had I been standing in a yard full of them I would have found one.  West Lancs did the job for me.

Job done -whoopee!

• Greenie 1

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.  Interesting to note that the new alternator also has no manufacturers markings on it.  I've googled around and found it a few times.  Part of my problem arose from the fact that the alternator was never in a vehicle -ALL websites selling this stuff give compatibility charts which are vehicle related.

The new alternator was sourced by West Lancs Auto in Preston. Understandably they wanted the old one 'in their hands' before they found a new one.  My detailed pictures were not considered sufficient.

9 hours ago, yotboy said:

ALL websites selling this stuff give compatibility charts which are vehicle related.

I've had this problem recently - broke one of the windscreen wipers when trying to remove it.

Called into all the local car accessory shops -

"what car is it for",

"It isn't, its a boat"

"Sorry, cannot help then"

"If you look at the broken one will you know what it fits ?"

"No, we don't hold those things in stock so need to know the model before we can order one in"

Same on Ebay.