Water pump issue. Any engineers in Thrupp?

Featured Posts

Hi,

Fairly new boater here and at a bit of a loss. Our water stopped running yesterday halfway through filling the sink. The water pump carried on making a noise like it was trying to push water through but nothing was coming. It even continues making a noice once the tap was turned off (which it doesn’t normally do). The water tank was full so I know we’re not out of water. I’m worried either that a)there’s an issue with the water pump or b) there’s air trapped in the pipes preventing water from getting through. 

Does anyone know of any checks/tests I can do to try and figure it out?

Alternatively does anyone know of any engineers who would do an urgent call out to Thrupp? I’m completely without water till this gets fixed.

Thanks,

Mel

If it was me, my immediate thought is that the filter is likely to be blocked, so I would turn off the stop tap between tank and pump, and disconnect the filter, which is often a transparent plastic thing with some gauze in it. I usually find the filter full of little bits of what I think are calcium or limestone. Clearing these out usually solves the problem.

You may not feel comfortable having a go at this, or the pump might be inaccessible, given that you are not sure of what you are doing, but it is an easy fix to a common issue..

On Monday afternoon, my shower pump stopped pumping the water out of the shower basin, despite the pump running fine. I went straight to the filter, found it blocked with all kinds of packed fluffy gunk. Cleared it out, and it worked a treat.

Another possibility is that a seal in the pump might have gone, but this would generally show as a leak, and water still running.

Further to Richard above,

A strainer is often fitted to the low pressure side of the pump, i.e the bit between the tank/shut off valve and pump. If it is a shurflo with a strainer like this, turn off the shut off valve next to the tank, if you have one, turn off the pump at the circuit breaker/fuse box,open a tap to drain the water, and unscrew the strainer(have an old towel handy). The gauze filter can be removed and cleaned. If it is the same as the picture, it has a bayonet fitting. Other types have a screw fitting at the top.

Reassemble,not forgetting to turn the isolation tap and circuit breaker back on.

Of course, it may be something else, but this is fairly easy to check.

m+f_filter-s.jpg

ETA,It is preferably best to do this when the tank is low,in case the shut off valve doesn't work (Not much help, I know if your pump is not pumping).

Edited by rusty69

If after checking the filter, whilst the filter is open, and over a bucket/tray/large cloth, briefly open the shut off valve.  How quickly does the water flow?

Good flow, is ok, weak dribble, shows the dip pipe in the tank is blocked.

Probably with rust if the pipe is steel, best solution is replacement. 

We had this a couple of years ago, fitted a new dip pipe, along side the old which was sealed off.

Bod

I'm moored in Thrupp at the moment, down by the Jolly Boatman. I could call round tomorrow morning & have a look if you like. Meanwhile have you turned off the electrics to the pump so that it is not running? Otherwise by morning you'll have a flat battery and a dead pump.

10 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

Meanwhile have you turned off the electrics to the pump so that it is not running? Otherwise by morning you'll have a flat battery and a dead pump.

.... and possibly water coming up over your floors!

6 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

.... and possibly water coming up over your floors!

I once had the strainer on my pump break. The contents of the water tank deposited itself in the bilges & the water came up over the rear cabin floor, but up in the lounge we were unaware until the next time the kitchen tap was turned on at which point the pump wouldn't stop.

Edited by Keeping Up
Spelling

When my pump became faulty the pump failed to shut off . However it was a gradual failure. 

However it is possible the pump has failed.

Or possibly a leak has developed at the pump or between the pump and the tap.

Or ,as said, the water tank needs refilling.

Or could the breather be blocked ? Try opening the filler cap to let air in?

I needed water adding only yesterday as the gauge indicating a quarter full tank was being its optimistic self.

I'm with MtB on this, until we hear otherwise. Strange the OP hasn't reappeared. Perhaps there's now water in the tank. 

Many moons ago my son used the boat. Day two, phone call, Dad, the shower has stopped working and I'm all soaped up.

i think we know the rest of the conversation.

2 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

I once had the strainer on my pump break. The contents of the water tank deposited itself in the bilges & the water came up over the rear cabin floor, but up in the lounge we were unaware until the next time the kitchen tap was turned on at which point the pump wouldn't stop.

Ours decided to separate into two halves recently. Held together with a bayonet fitting but without the clicky bit at the end. It dumped 250 L into the bilge.

11 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

Ours decided to separate into two halves recently. Held together with a bayonet fitting but without the clicky bit at the end. It dumped 250 L into the bilge.

Yep, those bayonet fittings are rubbish. I dumped our strainer years ago.

Edited by rusty69

If the op can ever be arsed to look again at this thread that people have offered him help on and probably given up waiting for a response and moved on, then he can contact Mark Paris who lives in Thrupp. If you respond to this then I will give u his number.