WaterNav maps app not working with IOS 13.1.2 on iPad

gbclive

Featured Posts

I appreciate these maps were taken over by RCR a while back.

I’ve just noticed they are not working properly after updating the IOS on my iPad.
I’ll contact RCR tomorrow, but in the meantime, has anyone else had a similar problem recently?

For me, the data such as POI’s, bridges and locks etc are visible, but without the map - just displayed on a blank  background.

The apps are still referred to on the RCR website but following the relevant link to the App Store displays the following pop up:

“This app is not available in your country or region”

(So I’ve got a bad feeling about this☹️)

6 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

That's why most people use the Nicholson guides as with most things on the canal they've been on there a long time.

I know, “keep it simple stupid”.

My head is hung in shame☹️

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Have you tried downloading /reinstalling again? I don't know how Apple stuff works, but on Android you get the basic bit of the program as an .APK file which if you rerun it, reinstalls the map data. 

Thanks Arthur, I’m a tad worried that all my notes and logbook entry’s will disappear if I try that?

I have restarted the iPad and shutdown, then reopened the apps, but no change.

That’s really strange. I have Midlands on both iPad and iPhone.

It’s working fine on the iPad on iOS 13.2. But on the iPhone, iOS 13.00 I’m getting exactly the same happening. I.e. the map is missing.

I’ve deleted and reinstalled but no change.

When we get home later I’ll be updating the iPhone to iOS 13.2 and will see what happens then.

24 minutes ago, Peter Thornton said:

When we get home later I’ll be updating the iPhone to iOS 13.2 and will see what happens then.

Hopefully you mean 13.1.2...

It fixes numerous issues that were affecting me personally so perhaps it will also address yours. 

1 hour ago, Peter Thornton said:

That’s really strange. I have Midlands on both iPad and iPhone.

It’s working fine on the iPad on iOS 13.2. But on the iPhone, iOS 13.00 I’m getting exactly the same happening. I.e. the map is missing.

I’ve deleted and reinstalled but no change.

Thanks Peter - useful to know It’s not just me?

50 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Hopefully you mean 13.1.2...

It fixes numerous issues that were affecting me personally so perhaps it will also address yours. 

Thanks for the info WotEver - of course I still have the problem using 13.1.2☹️

1 hour ago, WJM said:

Same issue here. I think it sources the maps from OpenStreetMaps and that connection is broken. I would think that can be easily fixed. 

Thanks for that WJM.

A full on day today, so I did not get a chance to contact RCR, but I will........... promise? 

28 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The guy who wrote the original maps was really helpful. Last time I had a problem, after RCR took them over, I found them uninterested, probably because they aren't computer bods. Be good to know how you get on with them. 

Thanks Arthur - I did speak to their boss lady earlier this year to point out that after reporting many errors and offering suggestions to improve the app. I had not received a single reply or acknowledgement. Further, not one of the errors had subsequently been corrected.

At the end of the call I was left with a distinct feeling that I had been weeing into the wind?

So I’m not holding out much hope, but would love to be proved wrong.

On 07/10/2019 at 22:19, gbclive said:

Thanks Arthur - I did speak to their boss lady earlier this year to point out that after reporting many errors and offering suggestions to improve the app. I had not received a single reply or acknowledgement. Further, not one of the errors had subsequently been corrected.

At the end of the call I was left with a distinct feeling that I had been weeing into the wind?

So I’m not holding out much hope, but would love to be proved wrong.

Contrast that with when they came out first I had trouble with loading them onto my particular android thing and he sent me a load of rewritten stuff to try to get it working. Plus he offered upgrades for life, which all went by the board when RCR took it over. I'm really not sure why they bought them. I suppose he got a fair return for them. 

Bit like the old CanalPlanner, which was great but you couldn't move it from on computer to another. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the same problem on iOS have emailed RCR but got no reply spent a while talking to the apple help line they tried hard but couldn’t help, no record of these app’s in their App Store got a horrible feeling we have just lost these

• 2 weeks later...

A short interim update - after about 3 weeks, RCR have finally arranged for the current person responsible for WaterNav to phone me back next Monday. Watch this space, but suggest you don’t hold your breath?

(Unfortunately, this is not the original developer).

23 minutes ago, trevor-coleman said:

Any progress? 

Funny you should ask -  finally some progress today?

I never did get the promised call back from Paul Nixon , but it turns out that he was the wrong person anyway! (It’s possible that he is dealing with the Android version).

Alexander is now the go-to person at RCR, specifically for the Apple version of WaterNav.

She explained that the update to IOS V13 totally broke the Apple version of the app and a complete redesign is necessary.

The intent is to complete this work in time for next season, so spring 2020.

In the mean time, Alex suggested that if I had access to an Android device, I could download for free the beta version.

I made a few suggestions:

▪️Ability to transfer personal notes etc from the old version to the new.

▪️Communicate the situation to existing users.

▪️Monitor and acknowledge feedback from users, as I had never received any and indeed AFAIK none of my feedback was ever implemented (including such things such as a Lock that was missing?).

I got a sense that the IT dept at RCR is fully stretched at the moment, as their website is also needing an upgrade and there is a problem with their email system, which might explain my experience of not receiving any replies.

However today’s conversation gave me some hope that given adequate resourcing, there is someone there with the intent to publish a new IOS version.

I’ll seek updates from time to time over the winter and will report back on progress.

On 01/11/2019 at 01:51, gbclive said:

A short interim update - after about 3 weeks, RCR have finally arranged for the current person responsible for WaterNav to phone me back next Monday. Watch this space, but suggest you don’t hold your breath?

(Unfortunately, this is not the original developer).

Thanks for this info. It’s working on my iPhone so I won’t update the system, which is 12.4.2 until it is fixed. I wonder what caused it to be broken with the new system?

I just downloaded Open Canal Map. It’s free and but I think you need wifi or mobile data for it. The map is a world map as it went to Sydney Australia where I am now. The maps are excellent and shows satellite detail when close viewing.

1 hour ago, hilofoz said:

I just downloaded Open Canal Map. It’s free and but I think you need wifi or mobile data for it. The map is a world map as it went to Sydney Australia where I am now. The maps are excellent and shows satellite detail when close viewing.

The satellite detail as you zoom in is useful, but I find it’s missing a lot of the WaterNav functions

For instance:

it lacks the easy distance measuring (to see how long that walk is to the pub?).

As you say, It think it needs WiFi or data for some functions, were as WaterNav was designed to work fully off line.

You can’t add your own notes.

I find some of the fonts too small and cluttered to read easily.

I’ve been using it just recently but I don’t find it as useful as WaterNav was before it’s meltdown.

But to be fair, it is free and it still works with IOS 13?

You are right it is just a nice map with good annotations, it goes without saying. All the functionality is lacking, but, better than nothing for the time being. I hope they fix it before I go back to my boat for summer next May.

Edited by hilofoz

• 1 month later...

After finding I had the exact same issue on my ipad, a quick Google brought me to your post. Like you l also hope they find a fix for Apple devices before the start of next season. I had 2 of the original versions. The user interface is just what I wanted and subsequently purchased 5 regions (although the later versions are from WaterNav). When I click on the icon I just get a notification saying "This App is no longer available in the App Store" and won't open which is strange.

Yes, I also have a much dog-eared selection of Nicholsons guides but I much prefer using a combination of "Canalplan" for route planning and WaterNav for local information whilst cruising. These have become my preferred method of finding my way about the system in recent years. If needs must then I could always use "Open Canal Map" that I check for stoppages and gps etc. but I still like the WaterNav Interface.

Please post again should you find a solution :)