Heating pipes

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

Hi all....

Here's a question about running my central heating pipes....so no " off topic".. about Brexit or pump out toilets please  ?

When I have installed central heating pipes in a house....I run a feed and return and then connect radiators into it with 'T'  fittings. That is so that when you turn off a radiator. .the whole lot doesn't block up. Bathroom radiators are locked on all the time.

I am fitting an Eber on my boat...into a small calorifier.. then a radiator which I never intend to turn off ..so it will have locked valves...then  into 2 heat exchanger fan heaters.

Looking at that circuit I see no reason for 'T' connectors..... .just run them (like an electrical circuit) as series.....one to the other...rather than the 'parallel ' system .. like at home.

Does this sound feasible.....or is there a reason for not doing this ?

Thanks all.

Edited by Bobbybass

2 very good reasons not to do it.

1  The radiators will get progressively cooler from flow to return. Last one will get nearly no heat.

2  The resistance to flow around the loop will be excessive, the heater will not achieve sufficient flow rate to keep going. 

You need to 'T' of flow and returns so you can balance the system, otherwise the first heat emitter will take all your heat and leave little for the remaining circuit. There may also be times when you may want to isolate parts.

I assume you have sized your circuit to be compatible with the boiler output.

I have read your post, but wonder how much thought you have given it.

12 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

You need to 'T' of flow and returns so you can balance the system, otherwise the first heat emitter will take all your heat and leave little for the remaining circuit. There may also be times when you may want to isolate parts.

I assume you have sized your circuit to be compatible with the boiler output.

I have read your post, but wonder how much thought you have given it.

Yeah..as someone who gave it lots of thought.. I knew people wouldn't think or understand.. 

Thanks all.

Subject closed.

Thanks for your input..

I assume that all the pipework is large eg 22mm minimum through the cauliflower and the heat exchangers otherwise the flow will be restricted.  

My Webasto installation instructions heavily discourage the use of "blowers" which I assume are similar to your fan heaters because they drop the return temperature below the level the boiler is happy with. At least this how I interpret their wierd English.

If the fans are not on then the heat extraction will be below what the boiler is happy with and it will cycle which is bad for it? 

My apologies if an Eber is different to a Webasto or my understanding is wrong.

12 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

I assume that all the pipework is large eg 22mm minimum through the cauliflower and the heat exchangers otherwise the flow will be restricted.  

My Webasto installation instructions heavily discourage the use of "blowers" which I assume are similar to your fan heaters because they drop the return temperature below the level the boiler is happy with. At least this how I interpret their wierd English.

If the fans are not on then the heat extraction will be below what the boiler is happy with and it will cycle which is bad for it? 

My apologies if an Eber is different to a Webasto or my understanding is wrong.

The fans are Eberspacher and match the heater. They'll be left on ..low blow..setting all the time as it will only be run to heat for an hour or so in the morning. The radiators are to act as a " heat sink"..to give some consistency.. 

I had a 60 foot boat last time as opposed to my current 42 footer...used 15mm pipe...and only stripped and rebuilt the Eber once in 6 years..

On 06/10/2019 at 21:40, Bobbybass said:

Yeah..as someone who gave it lots of thought.. I knew people wouldn't think or understand.. 

Thanks all.

Subject closed.

Thanks for your input..

I don't think you've thought it through either, but it seems like you've already made up your mind and the point of your "question" was really just to tell everyone what you're doing?

Anyway, the forum doesn't really work as you seem to think. Just because you start a topic doesn't mean you can close the subject just because people aren't responding as you wish.

Edited by blackrose