TV Signal

sharpness

Featured Posts

We have a probably 10yr old 12v TV & log periodic aerial which 99% of the time work perfectly. When we moor I point the aerial in the right direction & retune, sometimes we get over 200 DTV programmes other times less than 50 depending on where we are & the surrounding landscape. So far so good.

Sometimes, lately, the following morning we find we've lost all the programmes or sometimes just the BBC programmes.

Is it a fault in the telly or a problem with the transmitter?

Any suggestions please?

Ours comes and goes with the weather to be honest. We use a cheapo log jobby like u do and 99 percent of the time it gets great reception. Occasionaly for no apparent reason the signal is poor. Or when a boat moors on the working class moorings over the cut sometimes this affects us. We have a tiny four inch digital aerial that cost £ 8.50 from ebay that works well if/when the ten quid log jobby doesnt play the game.

Thanks for those replies.

Its not the wind blowing the aerial round because if I do a retune without touching the aerial all the programmes are back again. Apart from that its pretty stiff in its bracket anyway.

Does it have an internal memory battery, rechargeable presumably, would it be replaceable?

9 hours ago, sharpness said:

Thanks for those replies.

Its not the wind blowing the aerial round because if I do a retune without touching the aerial all the programmes are back again. Apart from that its pretty stiff in its bracket anyway.

Does it have an internal memory battery, rechargeable presumably, would it be replaceable?

Probably on the mother board will be a small battery, it may have tags and be soldered in, or it may be a little coin cell in a metal holder, in which case it is easy to replace.

I'd also be looking for damp in the connections and cabling.  You may be losing the more marginal stations  due to the signal being degraded, particularly by the damper atmosphere overnight. However, if your cable is 10 years old like the rest of your set up it's probably about had it, particularly it if it's regularly coiled and uncoiled. Replace it with decent stuff (I'd suggest WF100) and make sure you terminate it with care, using some silicone grease to keep the damp out. 

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I'd also be looking for damp in the connections and cabling.  You may be losing the more marginal stations  due to the signal being degraded, particularly by the damper atmosphere overnight. However, if your cable is 10 years old like the rest of your set up it's probably about had it, particularly it if it's regularly coiled and uncoiled. Replace it with decent stuff (I'd suggest WF100) and make sure you terminate it with care, using some silicone grease to keep the damp out. 

If the op is losing channels after the tv has been off for a few hours and a simple rescan is all it takes to get them back I am inclined to think it is just a tv memory problem.  That said, it doesn’t hurt to replace aged cables etc, but I doubt it will fix the problem.

When I am in my marina if the boat next door goes out I can get more channels, when he comes back they go again, the TV transmitter I use is in the opposite direction so I can only assume it is some form of reflection causing it. In the analogue days it would probably have caused ghosting, but in the digital world it is picture or nothing, occasionally you get spots everywhere with a poor signal but usually nothing.

3 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

If the op is losing channels after the tv has been off for a few hours and a simple rescan is all it takes to get them back I am inclined to think it is just a tv memory problem.  That said, it doesn’t hurt to replace aged cables etc, but I doubt it will fix the problem.

You may be right as I didn't read it like that Chewy - I took it as him getting up to 200 or maybe as low as 50 stations each time he sets up or retunes, depending on landscape, but has lost some by next morning. I don't know whether this interpretation is correct, but at least it's another line of investigation.

In general, I'd always start with anything recently disturbed and/or the vulnerable bits - in this case the aerial, connections and cabling.

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

You may be right as I didn't read it like that Chewy - I took it as him getting up to 200 or maybe as low as 50 stations each time he sets up or retunes, depending on landscape, but has lost some by next morning. I don't know whether this interpretation is correct, but at least it's another line of investigation.

In general, I'd always start with anything recently disturbed and/or the vulnerable bits - in this case the aerial, connections and cabling.

That's exactly it, all the channels at one time, turned off overnight & then nothing at all the next morning, simple retune & they are all back. Sometimes its just the BBC channels that have disappeared but more often its everything. The aerial is about 2 years old, the outside box it plugs into the same, good quality cable, likewise inside the boat, nothings changed on that front. With the log periodic on a 5ft pole on the roof I've never had a problem finding a signal so never felt the need for any signal amplifier.

23 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Ours comes and goes with the weather to be honest. We use a cheapo log jobby like u do and 99 percent of the time it gets great reception. Occasionaly for no apparent reason the signal is poor. Or when a boat moors on the working class moorings over the cut sometimes this affects us. We have a tiny four inch digital aerial that cost £ 8.50 from ebay that works well if/when the ten quid log jobby doesnt play the game.

Ear Ive moored opposite the hog farm and Im retired class, do we not affect your signal too or is it them converted boats with all that tin work thats the issue?

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

Ear Ive moored opposite the hog farm and Im retired class, do we not affect your signal too or is it them converted boats with all that tin work thats the issue?

retired peoples boats dont seem to interfere with the signal ?