Is this the thin end of the wedge ?

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

River Trent :

Due to abuse of the bin facilities at Gunthorpe Lock, the bins will be removed from this site by the end of November 2017 and additional facilities provided at Stoke Lock.

Due to the misuse of the customer facilities at Cromwell Lock, they will now only be open as and when our Lock Keeper is on duty. .

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Due to abuse of the bin facilities

What always gets me is that almost all CRT bin compounds, that I visit, are not locked.  I know that just about anyone can get a rip off Watermate key from eBay, but it’s the fact that they don’t even try to prevent “abuse” of these facilities...

Disgusts me that at CRT services and also private marinas how frequently boaters ignore basic instructions. Boaters regularly put black bin liners in with their recycling and use any available bin for general waste. There are still fewer recycling facilities than there should be, due to their misuse. 

We could also do with oil disposal at some of the CRT sites. 

• Greenie 3

20 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

The CRT bins in Northwich have been moved to a pontoon only accessible by boat, which seems a reasonable solution.

MP.

A reasonable solution, for sure, but how the heck does the dust cart get to them?!

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, The Dreamer said:

A reasonable solution, for sure, but how the heck does the dust cart get to them?!

Someone has to move the bin when the collection is expected.

As such collections are trade waste I expect the waste collection company may move the bin themselves .

A very reasonable solution if the bins, or the waste from them, can be transported away by boat. There are still lots of unconverted historic working boats with the word "carrying" painted on the side, some of them still available for carrying. Some of them built in Northwich appropriately. Maybe someone in CRT has had a good idea here.

A mischievous observation is that as CRT are encouraging MILLIONS of people to visit the canals its inevitable that some will put their rubbish in the bins, or discover these very useful bins and come back later with a car load.

The fact is that its getting harder and more expensive to get rid of household waste so the CRT bins are a sitting target. Some bins are now used more by locals than boaters.

Offside bins are a good idea but there are not so many places where this would work without purchasing land, and currently when CRT do own offside land they prefer to sell it off for housing.

CRT have to find a sensible solution to this rubbish issue else boaters will have no alternative but to Fly Tip, so they either grin and bear it or go the offside route.

...................Dave

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

A mischievous observation is that as CRT are encouraging MILLIONS of people to visit the canals its inevitable that some will put their rubbish in the bins, or discover these very useful bins and come back later with a car load.

The fact is that its getting harder and more expensive to get rid of household waste so the CRT bins are a sitting target. Some bins are now used more by locals than boaters.

Offside bins are a good idea but there are not so many places where this would work without purchasing land, and currently when CRT do own offside land they prefer to sell it off for housing.

CRT have to find a sensible solution to this rubbish issue else boaters will have no alternative but to Fly Tip, so they either grin and bear it or go the offside route.

...................Dave

Sadly this already happens at Cowroast facilities -  a nearby householder improving his property used them as a skip, nobody at CART was interested in the problem, now with some nearby tips charging for rubbish disposal the situation has got worse.

8 minutes ago, LEO said:

Sadly this already happens at Cowroast facilities -  a nearby householder improving his property used them as a skip, nobody at CART was interested in the problem, now with some nearby tips charging for rubbish disposal the situation has got worse.

I noticed it happens at Dobcross, opposite the Transhipment on the Huddersfield Narrow Canal. 

The bins were full throughout last winter, when few boaters were about. It was obvious a lot of building material was being dumped.  

And there was masses of packaging left  after Xmas. 

Maybe all bins ought to be within a proper compound, only accessible by boaters and authorised vehicles. 

35 minutes ago, MartynG said:

By the way the abuse of the bins at Gunthorpe was certainly not by boaters .

I imagine the abuse of the toilets at Cromwell was not boaters.

The elsan at Hazelford is closed with a notice on the door stating it is due to  'vandalism'.

Given that the only approach is by water or a long walk over a narrow walkway after going through a locked gate I can only assume it is the boaters who are the vandals.

The Northwich facility is on a floating pontoon outside the CRT yard. It uses a row of standard wheelie bins rather than the big industrial sized bins, and sadly they are usually mostly full.

So maybe the way forward is to install lots of offside bin pontoons at suitable locations, and seriously encourage recycling.  CRT could then offer contracts for boats to empty these bins,check the recycling, and meet up with contractors rubbish wagons at suitable locations. This would be a great way to get more old historic working boats doing a real job, and create some on the water employment.

Boats like Halsall already do exactly this but in reverse, they meet up with a diesel lorry and take the diesel to boaters on the cut.

It will cost more than the current service, but already CRT spend a lot of time clearing the over-full bins before the contractor will touch them, and at some point as more and more local use the bins the "bin boats" will become cost effective.

They could even supplement their income by collecting direct from boats.

..............Dave

17 minutes ago, pearley said:

The elsan at Hazelford is closed with a notice on the door stating it is due to  'vandalism'.

Given that the only approach is by water or a long walk over a narrow walkway after going through a locked gate I can only assume it is the boaters who are the vandals.

Or anyone who has a key .

51 minutes ago, dmr said:

The Northwich facility is on a floating pontoon outside the CRT yard. It uses a row of standard wheelie bins rather than the big industrial sized bins, and sadly they are usually mostly full.

So maybe the way forward is to install lots of offside bin pontoons at suitable locations, and seriously encourage recycling.  CRT could then offer contracts for boats to empty these bins,check the recycling, and meet up with contractors rubbish wagons at suitable locations. This would be a great way to get more old historic working boats doing a real job, and create some on the water employment.

Boats like Halsall already do exactly this but in reverse, they meet up with a diesel lorry and take the diesel to boaters on the cut.

It will cost more than the current service, but already CRT spend a lot of time clearing the over-full bins before the contractor will touch them, and at some point as more and more local use the bins the "bin boats" will become cost effective.

They could even supplement their income by collecting direct from boats.

..............Dave

Have you seen those bins emptied, A chap goes down there and hand balls it all out up onto the bank, then puts it into another bin. I hope there are not to many composting loo contents in there.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Have you seen those bins emptied, A chap goes down there and hand balls it all out up onto the bank, then puts it into another bin. I hope there are not to many composting loo contents in there.

Of course not. People with composting loos keep the buckets for 3 to 6 months onboard until they are composted dont you know. Nobody with a composting bog would put bags of raw crap in the rubbish bins would they? it would make far more sense if that were the case to simply use a cassette type system and deposit it in an elsan.

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Of course not. People with composting loos keep the buckets for 3 to 6 months onboard until they are composted dont you know. Nobody with a composting bog would put bags of raw crap in the rubbish bins would they? it would make far more sense if that were the case to simply use a cassette type system and deposit it in an elsan.

Now you are having a laugh

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Then someone would empty the elsan in it

Not if the Elsan was working though.

Most oil disposal containers have a strainer on the aperture. Don’t think i’d fancy emptying an elsan through that. 

35 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

So how much would you be prepared to pay Halsall to take rubbish away, per small wheely bin sized load?

If I was the sort of person who took a winter mooring and did not move for several months then paying somebody to take a bin bag away might be tempting if the alternative was a very long walk to a CRT bin.

It will take time, at present we all regard rubbish disposal as a free service but its actually getting more and more expensive. The big problem is that if there is not some level of free service then it encourages fly tipping.

Its never easy to start charging for a service that is currently free which is why I suggested that collection from the boat could be an optional extra.

Its a bit like buying diesel, I could maybe save a few pence by collecting my own diesel but buying off Halsall is more convenient and much more enjoyable. 

As for emptying CRT wheeley bins then I really don't know, but it would obviously have to be priced such that somebody could make a basic living out of doing it.

..............Dave

8 hours ago, dmr said:

It will take time, at present we all regard rubbish disposal as a free service but its actually getting more and more expensive. The big problem is that if there is not some level of free service then it encourages fly tipping.

We have to pay Biffa £15 + VAT per bin, per collection and then 20p/kg to remove / dispose of the contents.

I can understand C&RTs money-saving plans when you consider the cost of emptying the 86,000 bins that they have (C&RT figure)