Newb Technical Questions (narrowboat spaceships)

cksantos85

Featured Posts

EDIT: perhaps due to the shear amount of questions feel free to focus on one question instead of dismissing the entire list. 

So I posted a silly questions post last night. Today i have some more serious technical questions as follows below. 

1. Why are narrow boats not designed to be bidirectional so that winding holes are not necessary. Either engines at both sides or directional thruster jets with an impeller(think jetski with more thrust vectoring.) or even Voith Schneider propellers(VSP) or perhaps just mount the entire boat with a dozen bow thrusters all over. Joy stick controls even. 

2. Why don't narrow-boaters use peltier modules or freepiston sterling generators on their stoves and engines to create power from waste heat. 

3. Why dont pump out toilet users have aerobic membrane filters with UV treatment. This would allow the discharge of most the liquids of black water and grey water together into canal cleaner than the canal is. Pump outs would occur 10x less often. Aerobic treatment removes a huge percentage of fecal mass via methanogen bacteria. Membrane filter removes only clean water from tank. Can be uv filtered and disposed in canal as it would be near drinkable at that point. Pump out biannually like a septic tank

4. Why do the canals not have active or passive filtration via artificial wetlands or even waste water treatment technology? Water quality could be pristine. You could even require a small filter on each vessel so that its distributed. 

5. Do narrow boaters use dripless bearings? Why is everyone on youtube using grease packing? Dripless is so superior from a technical standpoint. 

6. Why is there so much wood and not drywall or even cement board on a boat walls. Wood rots, its ugly, lights on fire etc.

7. Why is no ones floor tiled with radiant heating? Seems like it could be part of ballast if designed properly. 

8. Why dosent the canal trust put more electrical sockets on the cut. I imagine that a for-profit could manage and grow the system with some kind of access cards and normal financing. I think you could have sockets on 20% of moorings within a few years just with leases from canal side houses and businesses. Could charge boaters 10x cost to buy power from utility and it would still be better than what most are paying/doing for power now. 

9. Why dosent the canal authority use suction dredges to clean the canals. I only see back hoes and such in videos. 

10. Why are people using outboards at all? Also why arent more people using them?

11. Why dont more people steer from the front or middle using hydraulic steering cables? Is there advantages to the old school steering rudder design? 

12. Would an electric trolling motor move a narrow boat? Why dont people have a trolling motor for short hops and silent maneuvering slowly. In addition the the main motor. 

13. Why dont people who own canalside land develop the relationhip with the canal better in terms of real estate development. Seems like many opportunities to turn the canals into a world treasure. 

14. How much does it cost to make a length of canal or a lock. Assuming volunteers and what not like river trust does. Im trying to figure out why their isent more of these systems being built around the world. Do they only exist because of cheap labor done by coal extraction long ago? What is the monetary value of the canal system in total or even sections. 

15. Why is there no connections into Scotland. Why dosent Scotland have canals. 

16. Is there a website with statistical data on canals. 

17 Why is there no visible micro hydro dams on the canal for power generation. Could power sections of the cut that are remote. See question 8. 

18 Are the canals that bad water quality? How does it vary from place to place. Does anyone test water quality. What are common poisons, lead, oil? Why are the clean areas clean and dirty areas dirty. What could be changed in the dirty areas to make them cleaner. 

19. Can you filter canal water enough to drink it or tank it? Reverse osmosis, and particulate filters come to mind. Also atmospheric water generators as everyone seems to get condensation a lot from my readings. 

20. Does anyone tank rain water?

21. Do you drink your tap water on the cut. 

Edited by cksantos85
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, cksantos85 said:

Awww common. lol this is me being serious lol. No one else on this planet could answer these. 

Off board opinion is you are just asking stupid questions that you could answer for yourself with a moment's thought, as a wind-up.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Speeling!

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Off board opinion is you are just asking stupid questions that you could answer for yourself with a moment's thought, as a wind-up.

Definitely not. Did you read them? Keep in mind i put this in the new boater part of forum. 

Edited by cksantos85

Its possible means that you know much more than I do about narrowboats and UK canals then. Rather than i could answer these questions easily you may just be smarter than me. I have been researching narrow boats for about 6 months. I still cant answer these from the other side of the earth. The people who have narrowboat youtubes are not technical. I want to build a narrowboat from a project hull. 50% of these questions are things i want to do on my narrowboat but perhaps their is good reasons why not. So far my questions on this forum have gotten me more details than hours of youtubes. Many thanks for your help in advance. 

I could summarize as :

1. What are the long term aspirations of the river and canal trust. Whats the long term vision or goal to make the canals better?  Answer - nothing its a bureaucratic mess and we are all lucky if they widen and fix the absolute worst canals and locks from being unusable.  

2. Why dont narrowboats use more modern techology? answer - cost everyone on a narrow boat is broke. 

These answers are my answers and they suck. So i hope someone would have better ones. Thus me listing my musings in detail. Do you have any interest in even one of the questions? Or all of them are retarded?

Edited by cksantos85

I read them too, but I'm not answering them, because they're a mixture of the blindingly obvious, answerable by your own research, and just silly.  There are a few which have been asked and answered previously in these forums and canalside by boaters to passers-by.  There are also too many at once for people to be bothered.

Welcome to the forums, and when you have done a bit of research on UK canals and boating, one or two questions at a time may be better received.

Cheers

Mac

3 minutes ago, cksantos85 said:

Its possible means that you know much more than I do about narrowboats and UK canals then. Rather than i could answer these questions easily you may just be smarter than me. I have been researching narrow boats for about 6 months. I still cant answer these from the other side of the earth. The people who have narrowboat youtubes are not technical. I want to build a narrowboat from a project hull. 50% of these questions are things i want to do on my narrowboat but perhaps their is good reasons why not. So far my questions on this forum have gotten me more details than hours of youtubes. Many thanks for your help in advance. 

The thing you are not grasping from your six months of research is narrow boats and canals are basic, agricultural standard engineering. Everything needs to be simple so it csn be easily understood at a glance and fixed when it goes wrong. Surprises help no-one. Doing things the same way as everyone else pays massive dividends. Yes there are dripless stern tubes but when they fail (and the do), no-one has spares on the shelf unlike conventional rope-packed glands. No-one has micro hydro generators by each lock because the canals are full of mud and rubbish and they would fail within minutes. Well there is one, and I've never seen it working. Boats are not double-ended with complicated reverseable propulsion pods because they need to be SIMPLE, and the canal is only 2ft deep. And so on.....

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The thing you are not grasping from your six months of research is narrow boats and canals are basic, agricultural standard engineering. Everything needs to be simple so it csn be easily understood at a glance and fixed when it goes wrong. Surprises help no-one. Doing things the same way as everyone else pays massive dividends. Yes there are dripless stern tubes but when they fail (and the do), no-one has spares on the shelf unlike conventional rope-packed glands. No-one has micro hydro generators by each lock because the canals are full of mud and rubbish and they would fail within minutes. Well there is one, and I've never seen it working. Boats are not double-ended with complicated reverseable propulsion pods because they need to be SIMPLE, and the canal is only 2ft deep. And so on.....

hey you are the man. love those answers, i could never have gotten that anywhere else. and answers so many of the questions. Its like owning a model t vs some custom car in 1900. 

Edited by cksantos85

7 hours ago, cksantos85 said:

I want to build a narrowboat from a project hull. 50% of these questions are things i want to do on my narrowboat but perhaps their is good reasons why not. So far my questions on this forum have gotten me more details than hours of youtubes. Many thanks for your help in advance. 

My dalas worth. Don't do it. Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Buy a boat, yes, travel the system, yes, enjoy the country, yes. Put ten years of your life into building you're own quirky boat no. Have fun on the rivers /canals of the UK, then move onto Llama trekking in the himalaya, or fruit picking in new Zealand,or surf instructor in Hawaii.

BTW, there are canals in Scotland.

8 hours ago, cksantos85 said:

8. Why dosent the canal trust put more electrical sockets on the cut. I imagine that a for-profit could manage and grow the system with some kind of access cards and normal financing. I think you could have sockets on 20% of moorings within a few years just with leases from canal side houses and businesses. Could charge boaters 10x cost to buy power from utility and it would still be better than what most are paying/doing for power now. 

Ok - just one answer.

Because it is the law in the UK that resellers of electricity (caravan / RV parks, marinas etc) CANNOT sell electricity at a higher price than they pay the utility company.

From the Government website

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem-publications/74486/11782-resaleupdateoct05pdf

8 hours ago, cksantos85 said:

10. Why are people using outboards at all? Also why arent more people using them?

Oh, if we are doing serious answers, I'll take no 10.

Outboards are significantly less expensive than diesel engines, and are typically better suited to smallish GRP/wooden cruiser type boats due to their lower weight and smaller physical size. Their cooling water is usually obtained directly from the weedy canal, so can be prone to blocking.They can be transom hung which saves on space in the boat, but are more exposed, thus more likely to be damaged in locks unless protected. 

An outboard would propel a small narrowboat,but would not charge a battery as well as an alternator on a diesel engine. 

Most outboards run on petrol, which is generally more difficult to obtain on the canals than red diesel. 

Diesel tanks on narrowboats tend to have a larger capacity and less prone to spillage when filling from a canalside vendor. 

Edited by rusty69

Sounds like a lot of the design elements I was questioning are durability/usability issues specific to locks canals and their infrastructure thanks for the response. Never though about clogging intake of outboard. Roast an impeller real quick. 

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

My dalas worth. Don't do it. Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Buy a boat, yes, travel the system, yes, enjoy the country, yes. Put ten years of your life into building you're own quirky boat no. Have fun on the rivers /canals of the UK, then move onto Llama trekking in the himalaya, or fruit picking in new Zealand,or surf instructor in Hawaii.

BTW, there are canals in Scotland.

Point taken. Maybe ill stick to some smaller mods to a functioning boat. I was leaning towards building a canal spaceship tho. Then u said 10 years and i was like UM YA and remembered all my other projects. 

Also on the Scotland comment theirs only 1 correct? and its no where near the nothern london system. and irelands system is a pipe dream away from england on a narrowboat so my dreams of UK wide boating are dashed none the less. 

Edited by cksantos85

A few years ago BWB introduced hydraulic paddle gear, standard on canals all over Europe and probably the rest of the world. From the passions that raised you would have thought they were hell bent on destroying the system.

44 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ok - just one answer.

Because it is the law in the UK that resellers of electricity (caravan / RV parks, marinas etc) CANNOT sell electricity at a higher price than they pay the utility company.

From the Government website

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem-publications/74486/11782-resaleupdateoct05pdf

Fascinating. Theoretically they could add electric but my pyramid scheme is out for funding mechanisms so were back to volunteers and grants. Prob more pressing issues. Thanks for the reply. 

4 minutes ago, Bee said:

A few years ago BWB introduced hydraulic paddle gear, standard on canals all over Europe and probably the rest of the world. From the passions that raised you would have thought they were hell bent on destroying the system.

I did a search for hydraulic paddle gear and got nothing, What exactly are you refering too. 

3. Why dont pump out toilet users have aerobic membrane filters with UV treatment. This would allow the discharge of most the liquids of black water and grey water together into canal cleaner than the canal is.

You do realise that pump out toilets don't empty into the canal don't you?

10 minutes ago, cksantos85 said:

I did a search for hydraulic paddle gear and got nothing, What exactly are you refering too. 

Currently on (the majority of) locks the paddles (to let the water in/out) are wound up/down by a handle (lock key) / windlass) on the end of a shaft, the shaft has a toothed cog which engages with a toothed cog on the paddle, winding lifts / drops the paddle.

Hydraulic ones are simply that - replace all the paddle gear with a hydraulic system.

Image result for canal lock paddle gear

34 minutes ago, cksantos85 said:

Also on the Scotland comment theirs only 1 correct? and its no where near the nothern london system. and irelands system is a pipe dream away from england on a narrowboat so my dreams of UK wide boating are dashed none the less. 

No, there are 5 canals in Scotland:-

1.Union Canal

2.Caledonian Canal

3.Crinan canal

4.Forth and Clyde canal

5.Monkland canal(you may need a spaceship for this one)

It's elementary stuff.

https://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/

No where near is irrelevant if you have a canal spaceship.

Edited by rusty69