Navy narrow boats film.

Ray T

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Built by John Pinder iirc. 

Correct. The destroyer has been  stationed on the Ashton Canal for the last 35years helping to maintain peace in those far flung parts of the British Empire. There's a Pinder build number in the engine compartment. Interesting engine sound in the film clip, I think they had Thornycroft's  marinised BMC 2.2 originally. 

11 minutes ago, Slim said:

I remember seeing the submarine and maybe the distroyer at Little Venice one year. I would have put it a few years earlier, late 60's?. 

The two film stars were built 1972. A frigate and another destroyer were commissioned in 1974. 

11 hours ago, billh said:

The two film stars were built 1972. A frigate and another destroyer were commissioned in 1974. 

Must have been in 1972 then. Does anyone else remember them appearing at Little Venice .

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

I would have 'enjoyed' touring on these miniatures. In uniform, with expenses. Meeting the adoring public. Wonder if they have triple height bunks on them. A great draft for a single man or boy.

I worked with a bloke who swore that the sole purpose of the Royal Navy was to transport his sexual organs around the world.

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

I worked with a bloke who swore that the sole purpose of the Royal Navy was to transport his sexual organs around the world.

It has to be said that as a child of 18 and for a few years it was the best training ground in the world with regards wimmen, they even paid us XTRA wonga when we went to exotic lands to meet exotic gurls innitt :D specialy if it was a " Rig " run!!

8 hours ago, Slim said:

Must have been in 1972 then. Does anyone else remember them appearing at Little Venice .

I remember them at Little Venice in the 1970's.  Can't be sure of the year, 1974 seems more likely than 1972 but could be either.  My recollection is of three boats - a submarine and two others

9 hours ago, Slim said:

I certainly remember seeing them in central Birmingham on numerous occasions during the mid 1970's, and I even risked going on board on at least one of those :captain:

2 hours ago, Tacet said:

I remember them at Little Venice in the 1970's.  Can't be sure of the year, 1974 seems more likely than 1972 but could be either.  My recollection is of three boats - a submarine and two others

No, couldn't have been 1974. I got married in 1975 by 1974 my wife was firmly on the scene