Tyred out.

dor

Featured Posts

So, just leaving my mooring when I picked up a tyre.

Managed to get back onto the mooring and down the weed hatch. Tyre was well wrapped, with the tyre behind one blade and the other two inside it. Tyre was very unyielding and I had to give up my feeble attempts with a hacksaw. Due to my health limitations there was no way I was going to handle this.

Then saw my neighbour Rob and asked if he had any experience with removing tyres. “No” he said, but had heard that the trick was to get a rope round the tyre and jiggle the prop. “I’ll have a look” he said.

He got a rope round the tyre and tried pulling it, with me try to jiggle the prop. Also lots of pulling and pushing down the weed hatch with levering with a mooring pin.  After an hour of this we were getting nowhere beyond thinking it might moved an inch or two.

It was now looking like a tow to a dry dock, or at least trying to find someone with the experience of removing tyres.

”I guess you want the rope off” said Rob as he went back down the weed hatch. Unfortunately he just couldn’t slacken off the loop where the rope was jammed up behind the prop against the counter.

He then tried pulling the rope from a different angle to see if it would move back a bit so he could loosen the loop round the tyre.

Rope suddenly moved followed by a tyre.

”foo*ing hell” said Rob.

All’s well that ends well.

Edited by dor
  • Happy 2

If lightning strikes again, and the tyre can't be pulled off, remember that the sidewall of the tyre is a lot thinner than the bit that sits on the road and is a LOT easier to cut - slice it all the way round (a Stanley knife is good enough) and the road bit slips off and you are left with two discs (with the really tough steel in) that just slip off the prop.

It does work (guess how I know!!)