smart TV WiFi connection issues

waterdog

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I prefer to use the public Google DNS servers, takes a hop out of a lookup.

Not sure that makes an significant difference, and the router will be using the ISP’s DNS which will not require routing over the internet.  I am seeing 6 hops to 8.8.8.8, but that said as you would expect the ping time is very good (1 ms).

On 04/10/2019 at 16:24, waterdog said:

We recently bought a new smart TV for use on the boat expecting to connect it to our ee mobile broadband unit, but we just can't. get it to connect.

we can get Netflix, iPlayer etc via our Humax box but this means having two devices powered and we thought a smart TV would reduce power usage as just the TV would be on for Netflix etc.

Has anyone successfully connected a smart TV on their boat and can give me any pointers. I've. trawled the internet and spoke to ee and hitachi to no avail.

The tv sees the internet and asks for password etc but doesn't connect.

I feel your pain on this one. 

I have a smart TV that worked perfectly with my old Vodafone 4G router but would not connect to my EE 4G WiFi. 

I tried every setting that is possible to force this to connect without any luck. Lots of other devices like my internet radio, laptop, phone etc all connect to the EE device without any issues. 

The way I got it to connect was a bit strange. I had already tried putting in a manual IP address but that didn’t work initially.

If you login to your router and click on the “sign in to change WiFi “ you get into the main settings of the router. 
in the top menu click on STATUS and then connected devices. 
Hopefully you will see your TV in the list showing up with a 169 IP address. This is the weird bit.....

Next to the device there is a slide button to enable internet and another one to block device. 
I disabled the internet on the device and also blocked the device. 
Back on the TV I then entered a manual IP address as you have already tried. 
I then went back to the router and the TV should now be in the blocked devices list. I unblocked it and enabled internet. 
After that my TV now works fine on the internet. 
it is obviously not right that you have to do this  - but it did work on mine.

hopefully works for you too.

BMP

Thanks everyone for your input, I've tried all the suggestions in all sorts of combinations to no avail. 

It's got to the stage where something is going to end up in the cut so time to cut my losses.

Can anyone recommend a router that I can use onboard with my current ee SIM as it's still got some way to run on the contract.

11 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

When I started with EE, I was given 2 mifi units. Both went in the bin and I bought a decent router (a teltonika) that is hard wired. Great performance.

just had a look at the RUT 950,  will this work with my ee sim and can you recommend an external aerial to go with it?

1 hour ago, waterdog said:

just had a look at the RUT 950,  will this work with my ee sim and can you recommend an external aerial to go with it?

Yes, that's the one we use.

The antenna is

Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0001 Cross Polarised 4G Omni LTEAntenna

They are expensive. 83 squid on Amazon but works very very well. Our router can be set to switch sims in a number of ways. At the moment, the 3 sim is the priority and it will switch to theEE on low signal streng...

On 06/10/2019 at 08:59, waterdog said:

Thanks everyone for your input, I've tried all the suggestions in all sorts of combinations to no avail. 

It's got to the stage where something is going to end up in the cut so time to cut my losses.

Can anyone recommend a router that I can use onboard with my current ee SIM as it's still got some way to run on the contract.

Can you still take the Hitachi back and get a refund? We have a Hitachi tv in a student let that we own and while it’s cheap, I reckon it’s not the best quality. 

We have a Samsung smart tv onboard which was a doddle to set up on our EE router. 

45 minutes ago, waterdog said:

Which EE router are you using ?

It’s a Huawei B311. 

I’ve now remembered its on Three, my wife’s mobile is on EE. That wouldn’t affect the WiFi connection though.  

9 hours ago, MHS said:

It’s a Huawei B311. 

I’ve now remembered its on Three, my wife’s mobile is on EE. That wouldn’t affect the WiFi connection though.  

Also have the same unit, check the mac address filter settings under the advanced/security section of the routers web page. If the filter is set to allow thenmac address of the TV needs to be added

Edited by claity66
typo

1 hour ago, claity66 said:

Also have the same unit, check the mac address filter settings under the advanced/security section of the routers web page. If the filter is set to allow thenmac address of the TV needs to be added

Our set up works great. My answer was to Waterdog’s query.