smart TV WiFi connection issues

waterdog

Featured Posts

We recently bought a new smart TV for use on the boat expecting to connect it to our ee mobile broadband unit, but we just can't. get it to connect.

we can get Netflix, iPlayer etc via our Humax box but this means having two devices powered and we thought a smart TV would reduce power usage as just the TV would be on for Netflix etc.

Has anyone successfully connected a smart TV on their boat and can give me any pointers. I've. trawled the internet and spoke to ee and hitachi to no avail.

The tv sees the internet and asks for password etc but doesn't connect.

We got a smart TV for the house.

We had to open user accounts with the tv companies to get access.  we did this on-line through the various websites for ITV, All4, BBC I-player etc,  We then got back a code to enter to verify open the account.

The code was single use for first connection and then the tv retains it.

Channel/sorce takes about 30 seconds to start up.

Hope this helps.

Hi Grebe,

we already have active Netflix / iPlayer etc accounts that we currently access via our Humax box. we should be able to access them from the TV but I can't get it to connect to the WiFi. 

As soon as I open Netflix it says no internet connection check settings. I'm currently looking at TV screen showing internet connection constantly cycling on and off.

2 minutes ago, Nut said:

I doubt that your TV has a wifi capability you may need a dongle but if you have a Ethernet port hard wire every time

Hi Nut

TV does have built in WiFi capability so should work without a dongle, Unfortunately the ee mobile router only connects wirelessly (no Ethernet port) so it can't be hard wired.

That 169 address makes it look like it isn't being assigned an IP address from the EE router. That may be an issue with the TV network settings, did it have a setting for DHCP or automatic network address anywhere.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

That 169 address makes it look like it isn't being assigned an IP address from the EE router. That may be an issue with the TV network settings, did it have a setting for DHCP or automatic network address anywhere.

I cant see those butI can see an IP and DNS configuration setting, both are set to automatic.

also when logged into my routers settings I can see a device (TV) constantly connecting and disconnecting from the WiFi which appears to mirror what I'm seeing on the TV.

3 hours ago, waterdog said:

I cant see those butI can see an IP and DNS configuration setting, both are set to automatic.

also when logged into my routers settings I can see a device (TV) constantly connecting and disconnecting from the WiFi which appears to mirror what I'm seeing on the TV.

Might be worth trying to set an IP address manually on the TV and set DNS to Google 8.8.8.8.  See what addresses are assigned to your other devices and pick one further up the range.  If that works then it could be the TV doesn't like talking to the DHCP server in the EE router.

We had a problem when connecting to an iPhone as a tethered source of data. It didn’t like the SSID which was “nick’s iphone”. Once I removed the space and the apostrophe, it was fine. So perhaps change the SSID of the mobile broadband unit to something short and only with alphanumeric characters (no punctuation or spaces). And ditto the password, fairly short and simple, just alphanumeric characters.

edit: is the SSID “MYWIFI7141” or MYWIFI 7141”? hard to tell, but if there is a space, remove it.

Edited by nicknorman

10 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Might be worth trying to set an IP address manually on the TV and set DNS to Google 8.8.8.8.  See what addresses are assigned to your other devices and pick one further up the range.  If that works then it could be the TV doesn't like talking to the DHCP server in the EE router.

10 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Another recommendation from several Hitachi TV owners is to use WPS to setup the connection.

Thanks Rob, I will have another look at the settings today. Unfortunately the "router" doesn't have a wps button nor any Ethernet ports so can't be hard wired either,

it is one of these.

https://www.4g.co.uk/ee-mobile-broadband/

We still have another year of the contract to run so are stuck with it for now. 

10 hours ago, nicknorman said:

We had a problem when connecting to an iPhone as a tethered source of data. It didn’t like the SSID which was “nick’s iphone”. Once I removed the space and the apostrophe, it was fine. So perhaps change the SSID of the mobile broadband unit to something short and only with alphanumeric characters (no punctuation or spaces). And ditto the password, fairly short and simple, just alphanumeric characters.

edit: is the SSID “MYWIFI7141” or MYWIFI 7141”? hard to tell, but if there is a space, remove it.

Hi Nick, yes that is the ssid and there isn't a space, the password is just letters and numbers too.

OK, some progress but still no cigar !

I manually inserted some settings that I copied from my mobile phone and the WLAN connection is now stable and says "connected". however when I run the internet speed test it comes back with no connection.

Rob M, I can't see a setting that will let me enter Google.8.8.8.8 in the correct format.

any ideas ?

WIN_20191005_12_54_54_Pro.jpg

WIN_20191005_12_55_16_Pro.jpg

WIN_20191005_12_56_10_Pro.jpg

20 minutes ago, john6767 said:

It looks like your router is 192.168.1.1, which would not be unusual, but you should check that in the routers home page.   if that is the case you want that the DNS server and the default gateway to be that address.

I prefer to use the public Google DNS servers, takes a hop out of a lookup.

4 hours ago, Rob-M said:

The default gateway needs to be set to the IP address of the EE box as well.  This week probably be something like 192.168.001.254 based on the IP address you have in the picture.

^^^^ yes this. The default gateway has to be set to the IP address of the router/EE wifi dongle. Check that detail in the EE box rather than trying to guess it!