Macclesfield canal at Bollington again in the news.

Boater Sam

Featured Posts

Is the water in the Macclesfield canal excessively low in viscosity? Or is the pull of gravity greater in Bollington?

The reason I ask is that once again the Macclesfield canal is failing in its design to hold water.

Notice Alert

Macclesfield Canal
Starts At: Bridge 26, Sugar Lane Bridge
Ends At: Bridge 27, Kerridge Road Bridge

Monday 7 October 2019 08:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Repair

Original message:

Due to excessive leakage during this week our team will be planning to install stop planks at Bridges 26 and 27 at Bollington on Monday 7th October  

We will continue to monitor the leakage during the weekend . We will provide a further update on Monday . 

We are speaking with our contractors and teams to see if we can bring the winter works forward.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/16330/bridge-26-27-bollington-macclesfield-canal-

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

Please do not reply to the email. It has been automatically generated.

To unsubscribe from this service please go to: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/my-trust/notices and uncheck the relevant box.

Is there anyone out there who could help CRT get this canal to hold water for longer than 6 months?

The contractors seem to need help.

open.php?u=10513099&id=ac9a2f210b0c45b9a097ca6d24b4ceb6

I

Edited by Boater Sam
added more

There’s been a problem there for awhile. A big ffing leak.  I think it was hoped to keep things going until they could shut it proper over the winter. The scheduled stoppage is nov- mar, when a concreting lining will be put down. 

Something similar happening up by the Goyt Mill too. (I think)

If there's anyone up that way who knows these things, how does that affect the water level south of the stoppage?  I've got to get my boat up to Bollington Wharf (from the lower Macc) next week to get the oil seal done and would hope to get it back down Bosley before the end of the month.

I guess you’ll be ok. 

I guess because there are so many boats south of the stoppage the levels will be checked and kept up. 

I’d ring CRT,  and have a word with the Wharf too, just for peace of mind. 

I’m the other side of bridge 80 ?by the way. Can almost see your boat. 

52 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I guess you’ll be ok. 

I guess because there are so many boats south of the stoppage the levels will be checked and kept up. 

Passed you both yesterday

5 hours ago, Goliath said:

I guess you’ll be ok. 

It was still afloat last time I looked.  I'll be down on Tuesday if you're still there - I'll wave as I come over the bridge.

My brother called me today and mentioned he's stuck the wrong side of Bollington, so I've been looking for info for him.

A CRT notice says they put stop planks in today, they might decide to bring forward the winter works currently scheduled to begin 4th Nov, and they expect to provide an update tomorrow about navigation.

Mods: maybe this topic belongs in Stoppages?

21 hours ago, Peter X said:

My brother called me today and mentioned he's stuck the wrong side of Bollington, so I've been looking for info for him.

A CRT notice says they put stop planks in today, they might decide to bring forward the winter works currently scheduled to begin 4th Nov, and they expect to provide an update tomorrow about navigation.

Mods: maybe this topic belongs in Stoppages?

I would expect the planks will be lifted for a time before the final winter closing to allow those stuck to make their way.  ??

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I would expect the planks will be lifted for a time before the final winter closing to allow those stuck to make their way.  ??

Macclesfield Canal
Starts At: Bridge 26, Sugar Lane Bridge
Ends At: Bridge 27, Kerridge Road Bridge

Monday 7 October 2019 08:00 until Friday 13 March 2020 17:00

Type: Navigation Closure 
Reason: Repair

Update on 08/10/2019:

Following on from installation of the stop planks at bridges 26 and 27 on 7th October, our engineers have confirmed that due to the severity of the leakage, the stop planks should remain in place. We have therefore decided to commence the embankment repair project earlier than planned.

We are aware that this will cause difficulties for some customers needing to get to the opposite side of the stoppage to get to their moorings or continue their journeys.  In order to address this we will be arranging co-ordinated passage on Wednesday 16th October 2019 between 11:00-13:30.  This will be the only passage through the area until the embankment repair works are completed in March 2020 and will be strictly controlled.

To ensure your passage through the affected area, please call our North-West Customer Support team on 03030 404040.

The winter stoppage notice will be amended later this week and can be found here: Palmerston Street Embankment, Bollington, Macclesfield Canal

Thanks to Athy for moving this into Stoppages, and to frangar for posting the updated notice. I've notified my brother that he needs to get through on Wednesday 16th or his boat will be stranded for the winter!

I notice that for anyone thinking of working around it via Manchester, there appears to be a closed lock there obstructing that route? Lock 86 of the Rochdale canal needing a gate repair?

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/16245-lock-86-chorlton-street-rochdale-canal