Craftmaster Raddle or International Interdeck for Decks?

Featured Posts

If there are enough days with a few dry periods long enough to get a coat of paint on over the course of this month, I'm at the point where I'm going to paint my cruiser stern and side decks.

They are already undercoated and, whilst it would be easier, and quicker, to coat them with Craftmaster Raddle, I am slightly concerned that it may not be non slip enough for decks. I have enough Interdeck to do them, so could use it if needs be.

The reason I prefer the Raddle is that, when I used Interdeck a few years ago on the side decks, its consistency needed to be kind of dabbed on with the brush, rather than painted. It took ages to do, and needs 3 days before being ready to walk on.

I suppose the simple question is:

Has anyone painted their decks with Craftmaster Raddle and has it worked out OK, or have you found it to be really slippy for decks, or even a bit less non slip that you would have liked?

Hope that makes sense.

many Thanks

Richard

I have done a traditional deck on a narrowboat in raddle red even though a painter said it would be slippy. I have done the roof and the frontdeck and stand on them in the rain with no slip and would paint them again in it.

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

Has anyone painted their decks with Craftmaster Raddle and has it worked out OK,

The rear deck, well deck and roof on my boat are painted with Craftmaster Raddle red. Never found it slippery with no sand. Offers good grip and lasts a long time. Other areas that may be stepped on are in gloss and these have sand for grip.

Jen

A photo. It was taken to show off the colour coordinated sack barrow, but you can see the raddle and which bits of green paint have sand.

barrow.jpg.739bedf2b74b6b2d687cd09a6af6605a.jpg

The Counter Deck on Helvetia, painted with Hammerite Red Oxide which at £6.50 for half a litre, compares rather fovourably with Craftmaster at £29.00 a litre. The Hammerite also benefits from protecting against rust, it is easy to apply and dry  within a couple of hours

2016174519_EXT015.JPG.ce9b4b1df11c12412e8828bd068c88ea.JPG

4 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I always painted my Counter Deck and Fore Deck with Hammerite Red Oxide, which does not need an undercoat, and provides a good non-slip matt finish.

Doesn't answer the question....

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

The Counter Deck on Helvetia, painted with Hammerite Red Oxide which at £6.50 for half a litre, compares rather fovourably with Craftmaster at £29.00 a litre. The Hammerite also benefits from protecting against rust, it is easy to apply and dry  within a couple of hours

Still doesn't answer the question.....

I used Craftsmaster raddle red on the back cabin last year when I repainted adding a touch of deeper red, and am very happy with the colour, finish and the walkability even when wet.

I previously used Danboline red but this doesn't last externally as good as it should.

I've used both International Interdeck and Epifanes Multiforte on different boats, and prefer the Raddle finish. 

Fairly resounding! Raddle it is :)

Thanks for all the quick replies. As I said, the decks and stern are already undercoated, (primed with Vactan as well), and I have some Graphite Grey and some Light Grey Raddle, so the Red Oxide isn't a goer.

5 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

We painted roof and deck with  red damboline. Mistake.

looks great for a year and then breaks down .

That's because its bilge paint! 

Designed for painting bilges and its brilliant for that. Covers EVERYTHING with no prep. Outside, I'd expect if to fail from UV radiation. 

(Its the only paint I've ever found that sticks to silicone. Brilliantly!)

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's because its bilge paint! 

Designed for painting bilges and its brilliant for that. Covers EVERYTHING with no prep. Outside, I'd expect if to fail from UV radiation. 

(Its the only paint I've ever found that sticks to silicone. Brilliantly!)

Sadly they no longer make it in red!! Not happy about that! 

I've never had the problems you describe using Interdeck. I've always found it easy to use with a good non-slip finish. In my experience it's actually hard to get a bad result with Interdeck. It does need to go on top of a good quality undercoat or primer/undercoat though.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

I find Craftmaster Raddle too brown for my taste.

It's not too brown if you buy the grey :)

I've got some light grey which is a standard colour, and some darker Graphite Grey which someone must have ordered specially then not needed it, so it was on offer in the shop.

The Raddle red by Craftmaster goes on quite red and shiney. And weathers down.

Picture one is I've just done the second topcoat.

Picture two is the weathered bow (gone brownish). Not recoated - few years old.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Edited by mark99

To me the choice between Craftmaster and Interdeck seems quite clear and is dependent on whether one wants a gloss or non-slip finish. If you're not getting on and off your roof then a gloss finish is fine but as a single-handed boater I use the roof a lot and it needs to be non-slip. A wet gloss roof can be lethal, especially if it's a curved roof.

I did my front deck with craftmaster raddle and it was much too slippy when wet, though does get a bit better as it ages. Also not strong enough to withstand the dogs claws when she does an emergency stop. 

I still use it on the gunnels as its a lovely paint to use, dries quickly and is a good way to build up a big of thickness, but I then put a final coat of Bandaprimer on top which gives a much better surface to walk on, and very quick to put another coat on every year or two.

Must wait till raddle is fully dried (at least 48 hours) before putting the Bondaprimer on top.

Front and back decks are now two or three coats epoxy primer, sanded to remove gloss, a couple of coats or Raddle, and then a quick Bondaprimer.

............Dave

On 04/10/2019 at 19:44, matty40s said:

Doesn't answer the question....

Still doesn't answer the question.....

I used Craftsmaster raddle red on the back cabin last year when I repainted adding a touch of deeper red, and am very happy with the colour, finish and the walkability even when wet.

I previously used Danboline red but this doesn't last externally as good as it should.

I've used both International Interdeck and Epifanes Multiforte on different boats, and prefer the Raddle finish. 

What’s on my front deck?