Warwickshire hunt on towpath at Willoughby

frangar

Featured Posts

Apparently the Warwickshire Hunt were seen today chasing a fox up and down the towpath at Willoughby. If anyone can confirm this or even better has pictures please send them into CRT pointing out that as both horse riding and hunting is against trust policy they might like to take this up with the hunt.....sadly none of the twats fell off and drowned but we cant have everything.......

• Greenie 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2

20 minutes ago, frangar said:

< snip >.....sadly none of the twats fell off and drowned but we cant have everything.......

Yes.

I was wondering if any of the bastards got a dunking.

We have a new kitten. We are getting him used to life on the boat. What might have happened if he was on the towpath when those, ahem, sportsmen/women came riding along?

I'm reminded of the old gag.....What has four legs and a < COUGH > halfway along it's back?

39 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes.

We have a new kitten. We are getting him used to life on the boat. What might have happened if he was on the towpath when those, ahem, sportsmen/women came riding along?

I'm reminded of the old gag.....What has four legs and a < COUGH > halfway along it's back?

It doesn't bear thinking about. it does show how arrogant they are..... not to mention that they don't ever bother clearing up after the hounds. 

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes.

Of course its sport dont ya know!! remember there are only thirty or forty poxy hounds in a pack and several plonkers on horseback versus the wily fox. Proper sport and even if it did go to ground it would never be cornered and dug out using spades and terriers now would it. similar to those big hard men that chase down magnificent stags till exhausted. Of course it doesnt happen anymore :banghead:

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Of course its sport dont ya know!! remember there are only thirty or forty poxy hounds in a pack and several plonkers on horseback versus the wily fox. Proper sport and even if it did go to ground it would never be cornered and dug out using spades and terriers now would it. similar to those big hard men that chase down magnificent stags till exhausted. Of course it doesnt happen anymore :banghead:

It is illegal to have more than two hounds in a 'pack' in England (not in Scotland).

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes I appreciate its illegal but so is speeding.

Yes but millions of people do that and are therefore unlikely to be caught.

I can't believe that a hunt, being so conspicuous, would be so stupid as to use a whole pack of hounds.

We were unlucky to witness the hunt a couple of years ago near Willoughby. The hounds came from the disused railway, across the field and onto the towpath. It was quite unnerving but they totally ignored me and carried on towards Braunston, but over the nearest bridge. A lot of activity followed on the opposite bank which ended with men on quad bikes surrounding a copse of willows while the pack went in to presumably do their “thing”. 

Not the most pleasant of mornings. 

4 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

We were unlucky to witness the hunt a couple of years ago near Willoughby. The hounds came from the disused railway, across the field and onto the towpath. It was quite unnerving but they totally ignored me and carried on towards Braunston, but over the nearest bridge. A lot of activity followed on the opposite bank which ended with men on quad bikes surrounding a copse of willows while the pack went in to presumably do their “thing”. 

Not the most pleasant of mornings. 

It occurs to me that as all "hunts" are supposed to be following drag scents now for them to be on the towpath the drag must have been on the towpath.

OK I am not that naive, but it means you don't have to wait until you see them hunting a fox they are on a towpath where they shouldn't be and it can be argued it is deliberate.  Report it to CRT if seen.

OK I also realise there is no guarantee CRT will take action but the more it is reported the more likely they are to take action (IMO).

10 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I can't believe that a hunt, being so conspicuous, would be so stupid as to use a whole pack of hounds.

If they are doing what they are allowed to do "drag hunting" they are allowed to run a full pack of hounds as they aren't actually hunting but following a scent.

Foxes in many places are a pest and a nuisance. Hunting at sometime in the distance past was a necessity to control. At this time this was carried out in best practice, on the quiet and no ceremony. Today's pompous so and so's on their 'hunters' literally looking down on us commoners do not do the cause any good. I have been discussing with a semi supporter of the hunt and he says the death is instant and the fox actually enjoys the chase. That's when the fight started.

No idea what the alternative is, but I'm sure there's a humane way to cull these lovely looking creatures. I have a friend, yes! I really do, who feeds a family of Foxes at the bottom of his garden in a built up area. If he's late they are waiting for him. (Perhaps one way to instantly disperse them). 

The above is my take in it all and a little tongue in cheek so dont crucify me.

31 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Foxes in many places are a pest and a nuisance. Hunting at sometime in the distance past was a necessity to control. At this time this was carried out in best practice, on the quiet and no ceremony. Today's pompous so and so's on their 'hunters' literally looking down on us commoners do not do the cause any good. I have been discussing with a semi supporter of the hunt and he says the death is instant and the fox actually enjoys the chase. That's when the fight started.

No idea what the alternative is, but I'm sure there's a humane way to cull these lovely looking creatures. I have a friend, yes! I really do, who feeds a family of Foxes at the bottom of his garden in a built up area. If he's late they are waiting for him. (Perhaps one way to instantly disperse them). 

The above is my take in it all and a little tongue in cheek so dont crucify me.

There is, and most farmers will eiither use their sheepdog to chase a fox off, or deploy a shotgun. They are definitely a pest on sheep farms, my son looses quite a few lambs each year to foxes.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

There is, and most farmers will eiither use their sheepdog to chase a fox off, or deploy a shotgun. They are definitely a pest on sheep farms, my son looses quite a few lambs each year to foxes.

In my experience, when farming in mid Wales, was that far more sheep were killed by dogs, often errant sheep dogs, than were ever killed by foxes.

1 hour ago, dor said:

In my experience, when farming in mid Wales, was that far more sheep were killed by dogs, often errant sheep dogs, than were ever killed by foxes.

I suspect it depends where you farm, my son farms in Northern Victoria, Australia, where there is probably more wild life than domestic stock. He loses several lambs to foxes each year, but has only had one incident of a domestic dog attacking his sheep.

4 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

The arable farm where our business is located prohibits fox shooting - they keep the rabbit population down. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

The arable farm where our business is located prohibits fox shooting - they keep the rabbit population down. 

They are also incredibly good ratters in the urban environment.

4 hours ago, WotEver said:

You don't get arable in the northern Victoria bush, they are barely able to sustain pasture with the heat and lack of rain.

10 hours ago, frangar said:

Drag hunt??!!! They wouldn’t know what that is. They never lay a scent. It’s hunting live animals pure & simple....they think they are above the law...indeed some wildlife officers are heavily involved with hunt. The law is a joke. 

You do of course have proof of this, so pass it on to the police.

If you don't have proof how can you be so certain what they are doing?

9 minutes ago, Jerra said:

You do of course have proof of this, so pass it on to the police.

If you don't have proof how can you be so certain what they are doing?

Can’t remember the last time I saw a hunt even pretending to lay a trail....funny how they always say they are then end up crossing main roads or going through fields with livestock in them....as for going to the police you are having a laugh aren’t you?? As I said many so called wildlife officers ride with the hunt along with senior officers....the police are the hunts lackeys in many cases.