Norfolk Broads

manxmike

Featured Posts

Just completing a week on the northern Norfolk Broads and to be honest I don't think we'll bother again!

Forget the wet and windy weather, that's no problem. The boat was fine (hired from Richardsons in Stalham).

The problems are the other hirers, I'm sure some of them were trying to waterski they were travelling so fast. Then we have the hirers who are fishermen............ They moor in the middle of a two boat space and refuse to move because he is fishing at the bow and she is fishing at the stern. Why on earth do they insist on wearing camo clothing, the fish can't see them so it's pointless.

Since the number of free mooring spaces are limited anyway this proves quite annoying. Elsewhere there are vast numbers of NO MOORING, NO HIRE BOATS, STRICTLY PRIVATE, signs OK, would you want camo clad fishermen at the bottom of your garden? But since there are no real banks, just huge expanses of reed beds, mooring elsewhere is difficult.

For future reference I will be sticking to canals. Friendlier, better mooring, better views, better facilities.

Ah well, we live and learn.

11 minutes ago, manxmike said:

Just completing a week on the northern Norfolk Broads and to be honest I don't think we'll bother again!

Forget the wet and windy weather, that's no problem. The boat was fine (hired from Richardsons in Stalham).

The problems are the other hirers, I'm sure some of them were trying to waterski they were travelling so fast. Then we have the hirers who are fishermen............ They moor in the middle of a two boat space and refuse to move because he is fishing at the bow and she is fishing at the stern. Why on earth do they insist on wearing camo clothing, the fish can't see them so it's pointless.

Since the number of free mooring spaces are limited anyway this proves quite annoying. Elsewhere there are vast numbers of NO MOORING, NO HIRE BOATS, STRICTLY PRIVATE, signs OK, would you want camo clad fishermen at the bottom of your garden? But since there are no real banks, just huge expanses of reed beds, mooring elsewhere is difficult.

For future reference I will be sticking to canals. Friendlier, better mooring, better views, better facilities.

Ah well, we live and learn.

Not been on the broads in years, but when we did we always paid a bit extra for a row boat, then just drop the mud weight in the middle of a broad and row to the pub.

Finding the boat correct boat in the dark can be entertaining......

Lived aboard on the southern broads for nearly half a year and wouldn't do it again. Sure it's got it's bonuses (cheap license fees mainly) and there's a fair few nice places to go...but speeding and generally incapable hire boaters are in the masses, the stupid prices charged by the yacht stations for services and not to mention the amount of those daft rowing support boats that seem to be allowed to fly along as fast as they want right past moored boats at 8 on a Sunday morning wouldn't make me return unless using it as a stopping point heading round the coast from Blakeney.