Boat Building At Record Levels

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Because there is no uk made mobile phone unless you know otherwise..

If you are happy to have a Chinese / Taiwanese assembled Apple phone why not have (say) a Samsung, or a Nokia, or ……………...

The iPhone's Assemblers

The components manufactured by those companies all around the world are ultimately sent to just two companies to assemble into iPods, iPhones, and iPads. Those companies are Foxconn and Pegatron, both of which are based in Taiwan.

Technically, Foxconn is the company’s trade name; the firm’s official name is Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. Ltd. Foxconn is Apple's longest running partner in building these devices. It currently assembles the majority of Apple's iPhones in its Shenzen, China, location, although Foxconn maintains factories in countries across the world, including Thailand, Malaysia, the Czech Republic, South Korea, Singapore, and the Philippines.

Pegatron is a relatively recent addition to the iPhone assembly process. It is estimated that it built about 30 percent of the iPhone 6 orders in its Chinese plants.

3 hours ago, WJM said:

The person who pays £10m for the Banksy has to get the money from somewhere. Today, he mostly gets it by avoiding taxes.

Oh I never knew that! Got any evidence? Who bought it anyway?

Even so, I don't see what that has to do with your original assertion that wealth is acquired from the pockets of everyone else. When a share price rises for example, in what way does this take money from your and my pocket?

You're just making yourself sound bitter and resentful like most left wing loons.

58 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Even so, I don't see what that has to do with your original assertion that wealth is acquired from the pockets of everyone else. When a share price rises for example, in what way does this take money from your and my pocket?

You're just making yourself sound bitter and resentful like most left wing loons.

Are you a troll?

The wealth of a nation is finite. But the distribution is the product of policy. If one man has £10m to blow on a picture... 

Best not to be offensive when offence is not given (Left wing loon). Conversation is informative when you avoid extremism.

Del Amitri phrased it much better than I could...

Computer terminals report some gains in the values of copper and tin
While American businessmen snap up Van Goghs
For the price of a hospital wing

19 hours ago, frahkn said:

In all honesty, I have yet to see many of the super-rich out on the cut.

Of course I cannot deny the concentration of wealth, which is very real, just not a lot of it in narrowboats. 

Well I see the impact of the rich on the cut in fact its all around me and usual in the shape of shiny wide beams some costing the best part of £200k . 40 years ago these sort of Boaters simply didn't exist . There is of course another issue when it comes to Moorings , these Boaters have the financial muscle to pay more for them which results in others being squeezed out , clearly when theres that sort of money being shelled out for wide beams then Marinas and indeed the CRT are going to have their hands out for a share . Its an interesting thing this growth of the Widebeam market in that encompasses both those after Social Housing and the Middle Class influenced by Tim and Pru and clearly with more money than intelligence .

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Doubtless like you Mike any wealth I have acquired is by hard work , ingenuity and self sacrifice . Coming from a Working Class background I loathe these People who seem to think you open the cratch cover each morning and money just blows over the hedge into the Boat , society is littered with these idiots .

1 hour ago, Parahandy said:

Doubtless like you Mike any wealth I have acquired is by hard work , ingenuity and self sacrifice . Coming from a Working Class background I loathe these People who seem to think you open the cratch cover each morning and money just blows over the hedge into the Boat , society is littered with these idiots .

Yes, this.

<rant>

Few things make me see the red mist like someone commenting how 'lucky' I am to have my three boats to play with, like it all happened to me by pure luck and chance.  The reality is it took a lifetime of planning, hard work. The only luck involved has been me having my good health to do it. 

As Arnold Palmer used to say (some debate about which golfer it was actually) in response to someone commenting on him sinking a lucky putt... "The harder I practise, the luckier I get."

The thing is, those who sit on their arses complaining about 'rich people', and think it all should be taken away from them, generally don't see the imagination, work and commitment needed to a) get rich in the first place and b ) stay that way so the govt can keep dipping their rather large shovel into the fruits of one's efforts. If all the rich people are taxed until they are level with the 'don't haves', the theory is they will stop working and creating wealth as there ceases to be any point.

</rant>

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The reality is it took a lifetime of planning, hard work. The only luck involved has been me having my good health to do it.

....and a huge amount of luck with increasing house prices:giggles:

Edited by rusty69

9 hours ago, WJM said:

Are you a troll?

The wealth of a nation is finite. But the distribution is the product of policy. If one man has £10m to blow on a picture... 

Best not to be offensive when offence is not given (Left wing loon). Conversation is informative when you avoid extremism.

Del Amitri phrased it much better than I could...

Computer terminals report some gains in the values of copper and tin
While American businessmen snap up Van Goghs
For the price of a hospital wing

what school of logic and economic theory did you attend?

are you John McDonnell's alter ego?

11 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

....and a huge amount of luck with increasing house prices:giggles:

Luck? Where was the luck in forecasting increasing house prices?!!

Massive house price rises were a bloody obvious outcome to anyone willing to see what was actually happening rather than what they think ought to have happened. 

1) The population rose by one third since the 70s with new building heavily restricted. 

2) Base rates plummeted which basic economics tells us make asset prices spiral up.

3) Lending criteria got ever looser, e.g. wife's income now allowed when previously disallowed in calculating how much you can borrow.

4) Buy to let mortgages were introduced.

Anyone expecting house prices to fall under those conditions needed their bumps feeling. Investing in property was a no-brainer for those able to put their politics to one side and see which way the wind was blowing. 

:giggles:

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Luck? Where was the luck in forecasting increasing house prices?!!

Massive house price rises were a bloody obvious outcome to anyone willing to see what was actually happening rather than what they think ought to have happened. 

1) The population rose by one third since the 70s with new building heavily restricted. 

2) Base rates plummeted which basic economics tells us make asset prices spiral up.

3) Lending criteria got ever looser, e.g. wife's income now allowed when previously disallowed in calculating how much you can borrow.

4) Buy to let mortgages were introduced.

Anyone expecting house prices to fall under those conditions needed their bumps feeling. Investing in property was a no-brainer for those able to put their politics to one side and see which way the wind was blowing. 

:giggles:

Sure, you made some shrewd decisions, but shirley there was a bit of luck involved,no?

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Sure, you made some shrewd decisions, but shirley there was a bit of luck involved,no?

Well yes to a degree, but reading the market is not difficult for those willing to see, and take action rather than moaning about others who do.  Had the market been moving against property I'd have either not got involved in the first place or got out, and therefore also looked 'lucky' for that too. I'd have picked some other obviously advantageous activity to be 'lucky' in. Widebeam building, possibly! I doubt there are many widebeam builders scratching around for the money for their next meal or pint at the moment.

There is definitely some luck involved in life not bowling one a googly, e.g bad health, car accident, earthquake, stuff like that....

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well yes to a degree, but reading the market is not difficult for those willing to see, and take action rather than moaning about others who do.  Had the market been moving against property I'd have either not got involved in the first place or got out, and therefore also looked 'lucky' for that too. I'd have picked some other obviously advantageous activity to be 'lucky' in. Widebeam building, possibly! I doubt there are many widebeam builders scratching around for the money for their next meal or pint at the moment.

There is definitely some luck involved in life not bowling one a googly, e.g bad health, car accident, earthquake, stuff like that....

I'm glad you said that, otherwise I would have quoted this bloke at you:P

Firstly I was not ’wealthy’ I was poor as a church mouse when I bought my first btl, done in desperation at my pension plan going down the tubes. I became wealthy BECAUSE of those shrewd and lucky decisions which seemed such a big risk at the time.

3 hours ago, Parahandy said:

Well I see the impact of the rich on the cut in fact its all around me and usual in the shape of shiny wide beams some costing the best part of £200k . 40 years ago these sort of Boaters simply didn't exist . There is of course another issue when it comes to Moorings , these Boaters have the financial muscle to pay more for them which results in others being squeezed out , clearly when theres that sort of money being shelled out for wide beams then Marinas and indeed the CRT are going to have their hands out for a share . Its an interesting thing this growth of the Widebeam market in that encompasses both those after Social Housing and the Middle Class influenced by Tim and Pru and clearly with more money than intelligence .

Remember I was talking about the super-rich - the £200 million boat brigade - not the reasonably well-off.

5 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

that's a bit too fillosofficle for this time of day. 

It is also why MacDonnell and Corbyn plan to rub out all the quality private skools...

Sheer jealousy and resentment that anyone should get an education better than state skools provide.

On 05/10/2019 at 01:18, Mike the Boilerman said:

What twaddle. You are economically illiterate.

I'm out. 

australia grew its wealth during the global economic  shorting  plan by importing people with money. Migration causes a net gain in a countries wealth. (Til they clear  off home with the $$$ they make by being smarter than the locals and buy boats)