Boat Building At Record Levels

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

26/9/19

New figures released by British Marine highlight that Britain’s boatbuilding revenue increased by 21.3% in 2018 with the boating market now worth £1.4bn annually to the UK economy.

This rise, totalling £777m in turnover, has been attributed to increased exports of inboard motor cruisers and motor yachts (+11.4%) and rigid inflatable boats (RIBs) (+5.5%). More than 65% of new boat production in 2018 went to overseas markets, with combined exports of new and used boats totalling £627m in 2018.

Lesley Robinson, chief executive at British Marine, said, “We’re pleased to see that the UK’s boatbuilding sector enjoyed positive growth last year, despite Brexit and economic uncertainty. We are seeing increased demand across nearly all vessels, from motor yachts to canal boats and dinghies.

“Whilst it’s encouraging to see the UK remain a global hotspot for boat production, with exports accounting for a large portion of this year’s growth, we’re also reminded that the sector continues to face challenges such as lower consumer confidence in the UK. Over the past year we’ve seen local sales remain flat and with the prospect of further Brexit delays dampening domestic spending, the future health of the sector is uncertain.”

It doesn't say that more boats are being built, just that the price of those being built is at an all time high. It could be the concentration of wealth into small groups of super-rich. Which of course happens at the expense of ordinary people. 

45 minutes ago, WJM said:

It doesn't say that more boats are being built, just that the price of those being built is at an all time high. It could be the concentration of wealth into small groups of super-rich. Which of course happens at the expense of ordinary people. 

In all honesty, I have yet to see many of the super-rich out on the cut.

Of course I cannot deny the concentration of wealth, which is very real, just not a lot of it in narrowboats. 

The 'motor yacht' companies Princess and Sunseeker are building more and more super-yachts as the market for normal sized yachts (if £250,000 is normal) has almost disappeared because there are so many 'low hours' second hand boats on the market many only a few years old, and half the price of a new one.  So they are building several million plus instead, and they have vacancies for workers, so must have a good order book. Most head to the Med in summer and caribbean in winter and can be chartered if you have very deep pockets, a week could cost more than you paid for your narrowboat.

Edited by Detling

10 minutes ago, frahkn said:

In all honesty, I have yet to see many of the super-rich out on the cut.

Of course I cannot deny the concentration of wealth, which is very real, just not a lot of it in narrowboats. 

Its not possible to determine  what people are worth by looking at them.

I know some well off people (admittedly not super rich)  . But you would not guess that by looking at them, nor by looking at their clothes nor their car.

Buying and running  a narrowboat isn't exactly a cheap hobby.

Edited by MartynG

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

New figures released by British Marine highlight that Britain’s boatbuilding revenue increased by 21.3% in 2018 with the boating market now worth £1.4bn annually to the UK economy.

That's  great news and must be good for the UK - especially if most are exports .

1 hour ago, cougie said:

Or more people raiding their pension pots ? 

There is Nothing wrong with using some of the pension lump sum allowance  to buy a little happiness in boat from.

4 hours ago, MartynG said:

I know some well off people (admittedly not super rich)  . But you would not guess that by looking at them, nor by looking at their clothes nor their car.

This is very true. I have a very good friend of many years standing, he is and has been for years a multi millionaire. He buys a car when it is five years old and keeps it ten years. He gets a hell of a lot of car as the original buyer takes the massive hit. He always buys top of the range, biggest such as mercs and at five years old they are the price of such as a new focus or therabouts. So for a lot of time he is driving an old banger. New cars and paying month after month for lease is not what he does.

7 hours ago, WJM said:

Which of course happens at the expense of ordinary people. 

Got any evidence for that please?

I often hear it claimed but it doesn't take account of the fact wealth can be created out of nothing. 

E.G Banksy paints a painting worth £10m. Did 10,000,000 people lose a quid each when he finished work that evening? 

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

E.G Banksy paints a painting worth £10m. Did 10,000,000 people lose a quid each when he finished work that evening? 

No, but the chimps in the Commons lost just a little more respect than they havn't got.

6 hours ago, MartynG said:

One of life’s truths is that the rich only stay rich by not needlessly spending money!

22 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

And, like board members and university chancellors, making sure they are the ones who decide their own salaries and bonuses! 

I've been a member of this board for ...many years now, never had a bonus and never been paid. Am I a CWDFV?

51 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Got any evidence for that please?

I often hear it claimed but it doesn't take account of the fact wealth can be created out of nothing. 

The person who pays £10m for the Banksy has to get the money from somewhere. Today, he mostly gets it by avoiding taxes. And people who avoid paying their just taxes deprive the society that they live in of the funds it needs to function. So yes, the folks who use NHS and not Gold BUPA loose out because some greed merchant has deprived society of his contribution and pissed it on a Banksy instead, 

Having seen someone close to me who worked his proverbial rear end off,  going from nothing to land owner, have to sell his farm due to infirmity and then write a cheque to the inland revenue for 7 figures, because of his work and knowledge, I find your assertion  that successful people get there by tax avoidance a little unpleasant. 

10 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Having seen someone close to me who worked his proverbial rear end off,  going from nothing to land owner, have to sell his farm due to infirmity and then write a cheque to the inland revenue for 7 figures, because of his work and knowledge, I find your assertion  that successful people get there by tax avoidance a little unpleasant. 

I run a business in the UK. And I pay more Corporation Tax than... Starbucks, Amazon, MacDonalds... and essentially every UK business big enough to get away with an overseas HQ. Any business that pays £1 in Corporation Tax pays more than these companies. All the businesses that you and I pay into. But not your local corner shop, your independent restaurant, your family firm. And unless you fell for the lies, we know that the British ‘elite’ is trying desperately to dodge the new European laws against such immoral tax dodging. But it seems most people fell for that one!  

Ahh couldnt agree more. Corporate greed is something else and works because corporations have no  conscience. 

Personally I do not support Amazon, Starburks or mcfilth,  not keen on exxon or texaco either or any of those thieves extracting money from uk consumers, and diverting profit to the Usa.

Unfortunately stuck with Apple...