Leylandii Firewood

mark99

Featured Posts

Used only this last night. Well seasoned (cut before Easter stacked out or rain in the full sun).

Suprisingly good - no gum lots of heat. Amazing how light it is without moisture. The glass in the woodburner is still very bright and very clean.

Edited by mark99

9 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Used only this last night. Well seasoned (cut before Easter stacked out or rain in the full sun).

Suprisingly good - no gum lots of heat. Amazing how light it is without moisture. The glass in the woodburner is still very bright and very clean.

It's a fine firewood if properly seasoned, I would get a little twitchy about it being properly seasoned if it was cut before Easter.

As long as it works for you

15 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Much smoke from the chimney?

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

It's a fine firewood if properly seasoned, I would get a little twitchy about it being properly seasoned if it was cut before Easter.

Yes I thought it was not a long time but it's radially split and so light. Remember we are dahn sarf when the orange thing in the sky is not shy.

I must get a moisture meter. Been put off by bad reviews - any recommendations TM?

Just now, Chewbacka said:

I went out to check (and try to smell) and could not see any. But our flue is high as it's the home burner.

3 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Yes I thought it was not a long time but it's radially split and so light. Remember we are dahn sarf when the orange thing in the sky is not shy.

I must get a moisture meter. Been put off by bad reviews - any recommendations TM?

I went out to check (and try to smell) and could not see any. But our flue is high as it's the home burner.

Never needed a moisture meter so nope, sorry, remember to split a bit and take a reading in a fresh bit of wood.

5 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

It can burn very hot and very clean if plenty of air is provided, good kettle wood :)

2 minutes ago, mark99 said:

I got one from eBay years ago, less than a tenner.

One think I learned, which in hindsight is obvious, is that if you measure the moisture on the log as it is seasoning it quite quickly shows as fairly dry, but split the log and measure in the middle of the new face and it shows it is much wetter.

Handy to have but only if you want to use your own logs as soon as possible, though if you buy ready to burn logs, you could check a couple to make sure you are getting what you paid for.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Never needed a moisture meter so nope, sorry, remember to split a bit and take a reading in a fresh bit of wood.

It can burn very hot and very clean if plenty of air is provided, good kettle wood :)

Ta - yes air was on max (funny thing is, if I crack open the bottom ashpan (not "allowed" according to instructions) the air rushes in and on a good burn, the tall flue resonates and virbrates with a deep note like a huge organ pipe....... it's quite a serious row!  (and of course not safe).

Edited by mark99

5 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

By far the best thing to do with leylandii, keep stoking , burn as much as you can.

Detestable weed.

Good hedge if maintained but it needs regular at least twice a year cuts and in fact makes a very good nesting location.

14 hours ago, mark99 said:

did it burn fast?

On 04/10/2019 at 08:28, tree monkey said:

I took that as a challenge..... :)  Amazon Prime delivered a new meter.

I got a piece stored outside and split it. Image 1

The second image is a piece kept inside in the log cradle (so would be drier as it's had a week or so sitting next to the fire. Most of the inside stuff was 6-7 ish  %.

We had an early Easter iirc.

20191006_180905_resized.jpg

20191006_180944_resized.jpg

Edited by mark99