£100K Sailaway.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, 70liveaboard said:

I'm assuming the machine gun rivets are probably fake ones, seeing as its a Brinklow. Plus who put the bulkhead in between the engine room and main cabin.. the apprentice perhaps.. ?

How many pieces to make a bulkhead, only Brinklow knows.. lol

Some fool with too much money will buy it no doubt.. But it's so over priced, looking at the shell itself, its really just funny.

Well im looking at the original bulkhead on my harland and wolff  ship builders  boat from my seat in the living room as i type.

believe me its anything but straight. It is also prefabricated with horizontal rivets,  and frames in the same manner , as brinklow have fitted the engine room conversion bulkhead. Being internal the rivets are  undamaged and from here look like washers.

My old yarwoods boat was much the same, two piece prefabricated bulkheads between the cabin and hold.

Traditional narrowboat building.

Sorry about punctuation... poor eyesight and small screen. With a toilet shower bedroom lounge kitchen and music room in a 10 ft cabin there is little space for screens...

45 minutes ago, 70liveaboard said:

Even more fun increasing the size of the pic's. Amazing what you get to see..  ;)

But people will make their own decisions on fab quality, weld (or lack of it), weld quality, cuts etc.. oh, and of course fake rivets..

In other words, you are either not prepared or can't tell us what problems you are actually seeing with the build, then?  I get a bit bored with "knowing wink" smilies (or similar) on a forum that actually aims to be informative - far more helpful to others in my view to make a genuine explanatory comment, than than trying to imply some kind of one-upmanship "I know something that you don't".

Fake rivets are an option no doubt - I'm sure if you asked Brinklow would build you one that omitted them that they would, and you would save a few quid in the bargain.

I'm not generally a fan of them, but if you are building a replica, (or "remake" as Brinklow tend to call them), of an old prototype I can see the sense.  The cost of actually hot riveting an entire replica would be prohibitive to most buyers.

What I do think is that Brinklow do their "rivets" with considerably more subtlety than just about any other builder, so if anyone wants a boat with them, Brinklow will turn out something far less heavy handed than say R W Davies or Barry Hawkins.

At no point, by the way, have I made any comment whatsoever about the asking price for this boat, or whether it could be considered good value.

I think it looks just fine and if I had the money brinklow would be my first choice of builder. None of this bend a couple of plates round and pull the base plate up to form a bow type of builder. A hull built to swim, which looks right and built to a high standard. 

You can't have a Ferrari for the price of a Cortina.

1 hour ago, stagedamager said:

I think it looks just fine and if I had the money brinklow would be my first choice of builder. None of this bend a couple of plates round and pull the base plate up to form a bow type of builder. A hull built to swim, which looks right and built to a high standard. 

You can't have a Ferrari for the price of a Cortina.

And those criticising clearly have little interest in historic boats, or remakes of the same, so cannot be expected to understand where the value lies in a Brinklow boat. 

I saw this boat at Glascote yesterday. Absolutely beautiful, 110% workmanship from all involved. I reckon that the boat could be finished for a further £50-60k, not far above the cost of a new build from other builders of lesser pedigree. I’d love to see it go to a good home.

Dave

• Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

image.png.00f15022f35aeada4902dc48f737d0df.png

And in the background a real Yarwoods boat....

"Rufford", which we tried very hard to buy, but got pissed about by the then seller, and eventually seriously gazumped on

Lovely though the new build is, I know which one catches my imagination!