£100K Sailaway.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Not something you'll see very often.

A quality Brinklow Boat Services shell, still in "sail away" state, apart from back cabin fitting.

No idea what the story is, but a chance to put your own mark on a boat from the very best of builders.

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.com/boat/brinklow-boats-62-tug/620493/1036601

(Shame about the 3 cylinder Gardner - but you could substitute a proper narrow boat engine if so inclined! ?)

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

(Shame about the 3 cylinder Gardner - but you could substitute a proper narrow boat engine if so inclined! ?)

You're in a cheeky mood today - all gas and Gardners!

Seriously, I thought that since 2016 such engines were not allowed to be installed in new builds. Did Brinklow get round it by declaring the boat as a "replica", as the spec. suggests? (Come to think of it, didn't Mr. Williamson retire some years ago?)

12 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I think it 50K to much if I am honest

I guess it's supply and demand - the supply of these high-quality boat sis not great, so the demand probably exceeds it. A 16-year old Brinklow just sold for something approaching £90,000.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

I guess it's supply and demand - the supply of these high-quality boat sis not great, so the demand probably exceeds it. A 16-year old Brinklow just sold for something approaching £90,000.

I know but for me it's way to expensive and the closeup of some welds looks ruff

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I know but for me it's way to expensive and the closeup of some welds looks ruff

I see what you mean - on the photo looking along the side of the boat? I wonder if it's welding or paint which looks uneven.

It is rather a pity that the back cabin has been left in undercoat - would this area not normally be varnished rather than painted?

27 minutes ago, Athy said:

I see what you mean - on the photo looking along the side of the boat? I wonder if it's welding or paint which looks uneven.

It is rather a pity that the back cabin has been left in undercoat - would this area not normally be varnished rather than painted?

it is the undercoat ready for the scumble glaze coat. If you had a proper traditional boat you would know that

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

....and the closeup of some welds looks ruff

Really?

Care to post an appropriate picture with the "ruff" welds highlighted?

This would be extremely unusual (as in "un heard of"), on a Brinklow built boat, and I'm not seeing it in those pictures.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

The usual approach is to scumble a back cabin.

That means it is scumbled over a base coat layer, so I'm seeing nothing unuual here.

I doubt many back cabins are varnished straight on to the timber, are they?

Edited by alan_fincher

32 minutes ago, Tonka said:

it is the undercoat ready for the scumble glaze coat. If you had a proper traditional boat you would know that

I haven't, so I didn't , but I do now. Thank you!

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

The usual approach is to scumble a back cabin.

That means it is scumbled over a base coat layer, so I'm seeing nothing unuual here.

I oubt many back cabins are varnished traight on to the timber, are they?

I oubt it too, as Tonka just beat you to it with similar information.

Our back cabin is varnished straight on to the timber, but it is not a traditional back cabin.

Any idea how they managed to install an older style engine without (I assume) breaking any laws?

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

I haven't, so I didn't , but I do now. Thank you!

I oubt it too, as Tonka just beat you to it with similar information.

Our back cabin is varnished straight on to the timber, but it is not a traditional back cabin.

Any idea how they managed to install an older style engine without (I assume) breaking any laws?

Maybe its been converted to tier 4 emissions? given that means no emission eqpt its bound to pass

I was replying to Alan on another post and lost the lot dont know what went wrong but its the sump for the gearbox bottom right looked rough, but on closer inspection looks rusty and wet welds wernt ground which is good but toward top looked not neat. probably glare from the photo

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

I don't know the history of this boat - in fact I'm a bit confused by it.

I don't actually recognise it as one of the very most recently built boats at Stretton, so although it is advertised as a "new build", I'm not quite sure when it was built, (there is no year in the advert I think).

You would need to clarify with the vendor, (who posts on here sometimes) the exact status of the boat, and just how recent it is.

That said I know that the next boat planned to be built there is supposed to be getting a rebuilt (I think) Lister HRW3, so I'm not sure exactly what restrictions exist, or how old an engine has to be to not be "allowed".  That said, it's not my sphere of expertise, as my boats are 25 yeras older than their engines!

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Hull and top supplied engine less.

owner gets third party to install second hand engine into existing engineless shell

builder does not supply or fit engine

So is boat built to RCD? Plus this one was advertised as sail away with engine so is the first owner selling it?

23 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I don't know the history of this boat - in fact I'm a bit confused by it.

I don't actually recognise it as one of the very most recently built boats at Stretton, so although it is advertised as a "new build", I'm not quite sure when it was built, (there is no year in the advert I think).

Having been built there QUAIL was launched at Brinklow at the end of January 2019.

This QUAIL was tied outside the Rose and Castle pub (or whatever it is called nowadays) during much of the Braunston 'historic' boat gathering back in June :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

42 minutes ago, Athy said:

My guess would be by not building it to RCD, which is only mandatory if you "bring the (finished) boat to market" within five years of completion of the build.

24 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

builder does not supply or fit engine

For the purposes of RCD, "the builder" is not the bloke who fabricates the shell, it is the legal entity that orchestrates the finished project. So theoretically, "the builder" could be a bloke sitting behind a computer screen who has never even seen the boat in real life.

2 hours ago, Tonka said:

Were one to put scumble on top of that I shudder to think of how it would look; it's aluminium wood primer.

I'm assuming the machine gun rivets are probably fake ones, seeing as its a Brinklow. Plus who put the bulkhead in between the engine room and main cabin.. the apprentice perhaps.. ?

How many pieces to make a bulkhead, only Brinklow knows.. lol

Some fool with too much money will buy it no doubt.. But it's so over priced, looking at the shell itself, its really just funny.

7 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It appears that the listing has been pulled so now I’ll never know what it looks like ;)

I can still see it.

27 minutes ago, 70liveaboard said:

I'm assuming the machine gun rivets are probably fake ones, seeing as its a Brinklow. Plus who put the bulkhead in between the engine room and main cabin.. the apprentice perhaps.. ?

How many pieces to make a bulkhead, only Brinklow knows.. lol

How many pieces are you seeing?

And pieces of what, exactly?

Edited by alan_fincher