60 cm Depth LPG Cooker Recommendations?

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

As part of the Flamingo refit we will probably change the cooker, (but swill keep it as freestanding).

Being a big old boat, we can easily accommodate full depth 60cm work tops, and the current cooker only has a 50cm x 50cm footprint, so currently has a 10cm gap behind it.

Having had a very quick look, suppliers websites are not great on the topic of which cookers come as LPG, which ned a conversion to LPG jets, whether there are FFDs on every burner, or what ignition methods are used.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a full domestic sized cooker that is either LPG ready, or easily converted, will meet the requirement for flame failure devices on everything, and which ideally needs no 230v AC for anything.  (I certainly don't want to have to run an inverter to support any fans, for example).

The cooker could be either 50 or 60 cms wide, but ideally would be full 60 cms depth, (although that is not an absolute "must have").

I fitted a Belling FS50GTCL a couple of months ago. Very easy to obtain and change the jets for LPG. 50 wide by 60 deep with glass lid which is what swmbo required. It is mains ignition which is no problem on our boat but can be lit in a nano second with a good old match. Flame failure on all burners. Does a very good job at a very good price. Doddle to install. Good build quality at the price also. Just googled and now only 280 from Argos, cheaper than when I bought it!!

Edited by mrsmelly

My Hotpoint might fit the bill. Uses AA battery for ignition, no mains or 12v required as no fans or lights. LPG jets can be bought for it online. Full size cooker, oven and separate grill. Choice of black or white when I bought it. And some had a glass lid over the gas hob, but I didn't want that so mine is without. Only slightly odd thing is that when using the grill you're supposed to slot in a heat protective plate below the knobs to protect them from the heat. I thought it would be a chore but I do it on autopilot now. The plate stows under the grill pan when not in use. I got mine from AO but they stock slightly different models of it now so you might want to check out other websites for more choice. It's called the "Hotpoint HAG(width in cm)K". It's 60cm deep. Mine is called something like the HAG51K but I know there's a HAG60K too. BSS have been happy with it.

Best to download a pdf of the manual when you find one you like in case there's installation instructions that don't work with the layout of your galley. But being freestanding this one was pretty straight forward. The space for the cooker already had a vent in the rear bulkhead to allow heat to escape.

F062351_1000x1000_frontal.jpg

6 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I fitted a Belling FS50GTCL a couple of months ago

Looks like a good lead.

Can't see any immediate drawbacks - I might try to find somewhere to take a look at one.

Thanks.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, BlueStringPudding said:

My Hotpoint might fit the bill. Uses AA battery for ignition, no mains or 12v required as no fans or lights. LPG jets can be bought for it online. Full size cooker, oven and separate grill. Choice of black or white when I bought it. And some had a glass lid over the gas hob, but I didn't want that so mine is without. Only slightly odd thing is that when using the grill you're supposed to slot in a heat protective plate below the knobs to protect them from the heat. I thought it would be a chore but I do it on autopilot now. The plate stows under the grill pan when not in use. I got mine from AO but they stock slightly different models of it now so you might want to check out other websites for more choice. It's called the "Hotpoint HAG(width in cm)K". It's 60cm deep. Mine is called something like the HAG51K but I know there's a HAG60K too. BSS have been happy with it.

Best to download a pdf of the manual when you find one you like in case there's installation instructions that don't work with the layout of your galley. But being freestanding this one was pretty straight forward. The space for the cooker already had a vent in the rear bulkhead to allow heat to escape.

Can you tell me exact model you actually have?

I have found references to HA51K that say "not suitable for conversion to LPG gas".

The HAG60K seems to have digital clock, etc, so probably not best choice if I don't want to connect mains to it.

It sounds though like you have one without that complication that is LPG convertible, and I like the look of them, so interested exactly what yours is.

9 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Looks like a good lead.

Can't see any immediate drawback - I might try to find somewhere to take a look at one.

Thanks.

Beware anything deep with a glass lid if it is going back against the hullside.

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Beware anything deep with a glass lid if it is going back against the hullside.

Good thinking. Mines midships so is unaffected. Ive just measured Alan and my stove lid leans back 3 and a half inches from the vertical so u would need that room and of course tumblehome adjustment.

Check you can actually put a sensible sized pan on the back burners the tumblehome can restrict you to frying pan height. Also you need to have a way of ensuring the overhang from the tumblehome  is fireproof not just scorch proof as it will get hotter then on the 500mm hob.

You could put a 100mm shelf at worktop height at the back to get rid of the gap, be cheaper.

1 minute ago, Detling said:

Check you can actually put a sensible sized pan on the back burners the tumblehome can restrict you to frying pan height. Also you need to have a way of ensuring the overhang from the tumblehome  is fireproof not just scorch proof as it will get hotter then on the 500mm hob.

You could put a 100mm shelf at worktop height at the back to get rid of the gap, be cheaper.

Yes,

All sensible thoughts, and if we stick with current 50cm depth cooker, we would fill the gap behind.

In an ex working bat like we have, it is a full 4 feet from floor to underside of gunwale, so the cooker is a great deal further below it than would be the case in a modern leisure build boat.  Certainly any normal height pan on a back burner would still be below gunwale height by some margin. None the less I will be looking at separations and any necessary protection.

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Good thinking. Mines midships so is unaffected. Ive just measured Alan and my stove lid leans back 3 and a half inches from the vertical so u would need that room and of course tumblehome adjustment.

Probably not a go-er then if the lid is a permanent fixture on that particular stove.

Thanks for the information.

I have already bought  one of these for my new build:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4908854

Bush AG56TB 50cm Twin Cavity Gas Cooker - Black 490/8854 - £219. 50cm wide, 60cm deep, 90cm high. It DOES come with lpg jets and is an easy conversion. ffd's on all burners. Twin cavity, NO GLASS LID, NO FAN and easy conversion from 240vac ignition to 12vdc. using this;

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/ignition-conversion-kit-12v-series-9-hob-gc-154

I also converted lamp in main cavity to 12v, with a high temp bulb I had floating about (these now seem hard to get)

Over hanging back corners, mean it will be easy to bolt down. Bench tested at home. Seems quite well built, better than the New World on the barge.

• Greenie 1

Thanks for the suggestions still coming in - Neil's is certainly worth a further look.

One area where I have had brain warp though is saying it could be either 50cm or 60cm wide.

I overlooked the fact that the widest doors on the boat will allow 50cm through, but certainly not 60cm.

So 60cm width cookers no use, must be 50 cms.

Recently bought one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Montpellier-MDG500LW-50cm-Double-Oven-Gas-Cooker-With-Lid-White-LPG-J-MDG500LW/132690859529

Has a grill and oven, four hobs, pretty standard but so far so good. Oh it is a generic (Chinese?) cooker so it comes in different names. Calor gas does one almost identical and as it turns out, a bit cheaper.

Edited by NB Caelmiri

9 hours ago, NB Caelmiri said:

Recently bought one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Montpellier-MDG500LW-50cm-Double-Oven-Gas-Cooker-With-Lid-White-LPG-J-MDG500LW/132690859529

Has a grill and oven, four hobs, pretty standard but so far so good. Oh it is a generic (Chinese?) cooker so it comes in different names. Calor gas does one almost identical and as it turns out, a bit cheaper.

What depth is it front to back please? The listing doesn't say.

10 hours ago, WotEver said:

Doesn't look like same cooker....

One is double cavity with lid - other  isn't
But I agree probably same underlying manufacturer.
s-l1600.jpg

front.jpg