NEW: Fluid view

RichM

Featured Posts

We have enabled an optional display feature called "Fluid view". Essentially rather than using the default traditional forum display, you may opt to have all topics shown on the forum homepage.  You may select the forum(s) you are interested in as to exclude any forums which may not be of interest. By default it will include all content posted within any of the forums. I must stress that this feature is optional and nobody is forced to use it. I have attached a screenshot to depict what I mean. Any questions let me know.

Cheers

RichM

fluidview.png

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Click the button on the Home Page as explained in the first post!

Screenshot 2019-10-02 at 21.21.12.png

Aha, OK!

My usual "VNC" page doesn't have that icon.  But it appeared when I went to the Home Page, which I never normally do.

Couldn't make head nor tail of it though!

And it seems to only be valid for that session, reverting to my VNC setting next time I open the webpage.

Think I'll stick with what I know!!

37 minutes ago, Rebotco said:

And it seems to only be valid for that session, reverting to my VNC setting next time I open the webpage.

Think I'll stick with what I know!!

So a good idea, unusably implemented. 

Par for the course really. 

Its the tone of the comment rather than the technical content.  As someone who spent a lot of time providing software enhancements for people, I welcome feedback that helps to perfect a new feature, particularly when it has a sense of wishing to help rather than carping.

• Greenie 1

I just tried this and maybe a am missing something. I sorted by Recently Updated but I have 3,300+ threads.  Looks like it sorted but the most replies. I picked basically everything except the Political sections.  The ones at the top of are not the most recent. I have another window open with New Content and the sort is nothing close to the new content first.  So am I doing something wrong?

Also, does this mean that changes to the New Sort we voted on are not going to be made?

Although I have been able to open this new view I would appreciate a little more explanation of what the benefits are. Having played for a few minutes I am afraid it's still as clear as mud! Like Kudzcraft, I though the result of the recent survey was going to be implemented or is this a way to avoid taking note of the majority view.

Howard 

10 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Its the tone of the comment rather than the technical content.  As someone who spent a lot of time providing software enhancements for people, I welcome feedback that helps to perfect a new feature, particularly when it has a sense of wishing to help rather than carping.

Well if the management introduced something saying it is still in test and to try it out and see what we think, there would probably be little or no carping just constructive feedback.

But when something is simply announced as a new feature, it seems reasonable to expect it to have been tested and working is it not? 

39 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But when something is simply announced as a new feature, it seems reasonable to expect it to have been tested and working is it not? 

In a perfect world, where you are paying for perfection, yes.

3 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

In a perfect world, where you are paying for perfection, yes.

I take the point you make in your response to Mike, but as someone who makes a somewhat modest contribution to the coffers, I would have appreciated a mini tutorial about the benefits of a new system, and more particularly, how to use it to its best advantage, otherwise, why waste the administrators time (and the limited funds available) to install a system which some of us do not understand.

Howard

I've looked at the "Fluid View" and as far as I can see, it simply doesn't work. Yes, it allows a subset of the sub-forums to be selected, but it isn't sorting the results properly. If you look at View New Content (let's not forget the new version of the forum software doesn't actually have "View New Content" like the old one did - its actually a custom activity stream, that was created and set as a default with a permanent link on the top right, but its labelled as VNC) there's clearly posts from today, etc. However in the fluid view, something isn't right with the sorting so the most recent, when sorting by "Recently Updated", is Sept 24th, then the next is Sept 21st, and so on. 

I think its an indexing issue - the threads that do display seem to be well into the past, possibly there is a point in time which the index is complete up until, but it cannot or hasn't indexed beyond then? If it can't do this, its not really much use at all since the threads of main interest will invariably be the recent, and/or recently-updated, ones.

It works but the first 17 threads in the list are sticky posts (in all the subforums selected) so this means only 7 normal threads appear on page 1 (and you need to scroll down to see them), page 2 onwards shows 24 threads per page. And....the right hand column is taken up by the list of subforums, which would be unchanging once you've made the selection, unless you wanted to change it.

I remember the previous version had this feature, and it was lost on the upgrade, but its configuration was much more compact. Of course, back then, we had the normal view and the mobile view and no HTML5 resizing....and the security issues due to it being discontinued.

I guess Invision aren't really able to respond to the actual needs of its userbase any more, I know when the last major update occurred they got bogged down in thousands of bugs because it was quite a major rewrite, and their customer base/market share has slid down, leaving less income to hire developers to address the issues which customers are actually asking for, in a bit of a vicious cycle. Hence why this has appeared only years after the version "upgrade". 

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

What!

You have been trying to see it since October last year?  Dedication above and beyond....................................

TD'

I have not tried anything, just that my view changed today, and then I found this thread... seems it was optional earlier...