Gardening without ruining paintwork

Featured Posts

I'm considering how to move a 'balcony garden' (small but we're self-sufficient in at least one or two herbs!) onto a narrowboat... in order to maintain the paintwork on the decks/roof in reasonable condition... Would you avoid putting 'grass' (astroturf type stuff) and plant pots directly onto a boat? Would they be better on top of rubber matting (something like this (but without the edges) to keep puddles from forming: https://www.slip-not.co.uk/productdetail/Rubber-Entrance-Mat-with-Drainage-Holes-A) Or do they really need to be hanging somehow?

Edited to add: just found this thread so going to have a read... I guess the question about if rubber matting would make a mini-lawn/pots in bow deck area do-able still stands though ?

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

1 hour ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

I'm considering how to move a 'balcony garden' (small but we're self-sufficient in at least one or two herbs!) onto a narrowboat... in order to maintain the paintwork on the decks/roof in reasonable condition... Would you avoid putting 'grass' (astroturf type stuff) and plant pots directly onto a boat? Would they be better on top of rubber matting (something like this (but without the edges) to keep puddles from forming: https://www.slip-not.co.uk/productdetail/Rubber-Entrance-Mat-with-Drainage-Holes-A) Or do they really need to be hanging somehow?

Edited to add: just found this thread so going to have a read... I guess the question about if rubber matting would make a mini-lawn/pots in bow deck area do-able still stands though ?

Although no expert on this (I prefer to keep my roof and other painted surfaces clear) you can get rubber mats with small rubber studs on the bottom (I forget exactly what they're called - perhaps someone can help me out?) which may be your best bet at protecting the surface/paintwork while providing minimal surface area for moisture to collect.  I know some people use them cut to size in their gas lockers too as they protect the paintwork while not allowing moisture to collect or become entrapped underneath. I had a look at the link you mentioned, although similar it's not quite the same. 

I often see boats with vast gardens on their roof and others who use it as storage. Having just repainted my roof, it makes me cringe as damage to the paintwork over time is inevitable. 

Hmm... The rubber with studs under was what I was thinking of... A couple of pots at the moment are on wheeled wooden slatted platform things for moving around balcony. Maybe I should just get 'brakes' for those - the wheels are (presumably, will check in daylight) plastic and there is plenty of ventilation under the platform - then scratch the astroturf idea and cut a nice picnic blanket to size that gets popped away after use. 

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Our front deck was covered by rubber mat with dimples on the back, you should see the state of it now. I would stand it on raised wooden slats so ventilation and water can drain under it

We had a few years with pots standing on 'cut to size/shape' bits of that rubbery stuff intended to cushion drawers etc.  Goes hard and still leaves marks and allows water to stand.  We're trying wooden clothes pegs - half a peg with the spring removed.  Four per pot.  Cheap, simple and leaves a water/air gap.