Oxalic acid - vertical surfaces

RichM

Featured Posts

I find Oxalic acid works great on horizontal timber surfaces where you can leave it to sit & soak in before giving it a good scrub to work its magic. However, I find that it doesn't work so well on vertical surfaces, walls etc. The Oxalic acid tends to run and obviously doesn't adhere to the surface quite so well. Is there a trick I am perhaps missing?

Cheers

3 hours ago, Murflynn said:

I s'pose it depends what you are using it for.  

...............  I haven't got a clue what you are talking about and I'm too lazy to google oxalic acid.

................. coat  ....  :boat:

Cleans corrosion of wood I think oak in particular when it goes grey but I could easily be wrong ?

4 hours ago, Murflynn said:

does Aldi Vive Cola Light have the same effect?

Dunno.

I know Coke has phosphoric acid in it as the concentrate that they dilute down with water at bottling plants has to be kept in glass containers. The acid is too strong for plastic. I guess all cola's must be the same?

...........and peeps drink it?

Thanks for the advice. I use it to remove water based stains and discoloration from an oak worktop in the galley. Works wonders and even saved me from having to replace the worktop. Almost like magic! Unfortunately it hasn't worked quite so well on the cabin sides but then it is constructed of some form of ply. 

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

And it looks just like sugar. What could possibly go wrong......................

Hydrochloric Acid looks just like water too, but then most acids look like something else and have safety data which makes them look a bit dodgy. To be fair to Oxalic Acid, it is pretty well recognised for its beneficial effects in the restoration of wood.

1 hour ago, Cheshire cat said:

It's readily available on Ebay. I've got a big tub of it and can vouch for it's ability to get rid of black stains.

It’s one of the active ingredients in Barkeeper’s Friend too. 

Osmo Wood Recover Gel contains oxyalic acid and can be used on vertical surfaces but is not cheap.

https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/osmo-wood-reviver?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6KrtBRDLARIsAKzvQIGsk24GRIao_q3UueUAOuc5PeEosKUW1g_vWWLuoyJxcrAEDK5Jlz8aAgivEALw_wcB

Edited by cuthound
Spillung