Bridgwater mooring

1Arthur

Featured Posts

Hello I’m thinking of doing the Cheshire Ring clockwise so where to moor up prior to Manchester. I’ve already asked about mooring in Manchester so should be ok with that . I don’t expect to stay in Manchester but if I find it ok I will all be it for maybe two days. I think when  I leave I should be able to get up the Ashton and away if I leave early and do the rest of the ring.

Thank you for your help

Arthur

From our experience of boating through a couple of months ago,  Sale is quite a decent mooring before Manchester.

On the Ashton side, I was very pleasantly surprised how nice the stretch between Fairfield top lock and Guide Bridge was, though I probably wouldn't leave a boat unattended along there. We moored by the junction at Portland Basin and it was fine and convenient for shops and pubs.

There’s a nice rural bit just after the A558. Walton is fine. Stockton Heath is quite nice. Sale at the King’s Ransom pub is OK. Stretford  marina is very friendly and well run - they may or may not have an overnight mooring available. After that it would be Castlefield basin, but that is a bit high risk due to limited availability.

If you are not in a hire boat, it is interesting to get Bridgewater Canal Co to lock you down into Salford Quays, however the downside is £30 fee each way and they only do it mon-fri at 8am.

Bollington Underbridge is my Go To place on the Bridgewater. There are some mooring rings between Little Bollington Winding Hole and the Underbridge.

If you walk down the steps by the Underbridge, walk under the bridge to the end of the lane, you find The Swan With Two Nicks Pub/Restaurant to the left. Once you have walked through the bridge, turn round and look up to the left of the arch to see The Gargoyle.

A lovely place to spend a night, whether you go to the pub, or not.

Not sure if this will take you to it on Canal Plan... if not, just search for Bollington Underbridge

https://canalplan.org.uk/place/hehv

It takes me 2 hours to get there from Stretford, and an hour from Stretford to Manchester Castlefield.

Alternatively, if you want to be closer to Manchester, The Watch House Cruising Club has quite a few mooring rings outside, and you can get a good cheap pint, (£2 a pint), meet like minded people. Open from about 7.30pm Wed, Fri, Sat. Often earlier on a Saturday, and from about 1.30pm to 6pm or later on a Sunday.

30 minutes ago, 1Arthur said:

Not a lot of help there then 

can’t see the point of bad information 

I think what he is very pedantically pointing out is that there are 2 places on the system with similar names but different spellings.
He has correctly pointed out that Bridgwater, as you have put in the title of this thread, is a town with a canal in Somerset, and he has posted a picture of the moorings there, where-as you are talking about the BridgEwater Canal in Manchester.

Edited by Graham Davis

You will get a lot of good information on this forum but you will also get light hearted banter, After a while the postings tend to driffet off topic and can get quite strange and sometimes heated. Just read some of the others like the one on Anodes to see what I mean