Falling Trees

Mike Adams

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Mike Adams said:

Thanks

It's Surrey County Council who own the land. Would my boat insurance pay out on what would be a 'right off' I suspect.

I would ring them and ask followed up with an email with their response in writing. I must admit I am just assuming that if a tree fell on my boat it would be covered, this may well be wrong.

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

.... I am just assuming that if a tree fell on my boat it would be covered, this may well be wrong.

No, you are entirely correct.

Covered in leaves, branches, a trunk , some angry squirrels and a mad woodpecker.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 2

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:44, Mike the Boilerman said:

I suspect it will be the National Trust or Surrey CC given where the OP moors. Can you use the LR to determine ownership of a parcel of land without a postcode?

A standard map reference/coordinates from the relevant Ordnance Survey map will identify the spot.

What did we do before post codes?

2 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

A standard map reference/coordinates from the relevant Ordnance Survey map will identify the spot.

What did we do before post codes?

We are not trying to look at it on a map, we are trying to discover the name and address of the owner using the Land Registry, which demands a postcode to tell you.

How did YOU discover who owns a parcel of land before postcodes? Perhaps you could tell us as the method might still work!

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

We are not trying to look at it on a map, we are trying to discover the name and address of the owner using the Land Registry, which demands a postcode to tell you.

How did YOU discover who owns a parcel of land before postcodes? Perhaps you could tell us as the method might still work!

Local knowledge, seriously I spent a few years surveying for powerlines and it was the go to method, it requires a little door knocking but once you find THE local source of information the area is your oyster 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Local knowledge, seriously I spent a few years surveying for powerlines and it was the go to method, it requires a little door knocking but once you find THE local source of information the area is your oyster 

Yes but we are keyboard worriers, trying to do it from armchair comfort behind our computa screens, silly!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

In my younger years I did a stint surveying gas pipelines and checking the landowners were happy with our pipe in their estate land and reminding them very gently not to dig, lay trees or build over their easement without letting us know before. (Our other survey method was a twice monthly overflight of the route in a chopper....just to make sure.......).

One chap a superstar of rock lived near Denham, I knocked on his estate door just as a helicopter landed on his lawn with party guests..... I left thinking perhaps I would not be taken seriously!

1 minute ago, mark99 said:

In my younger years I did a stint surveying gas pipelines and checking the landowners were happy with our pipe in their estate land and reminding them very gently not to dig, lay trees or build over their easement without letting us know before. (Our other survey method was a twice monthly overflight of the route in a chopper....just to make sure.......).

One chap a superstar of rock lived near Denham, I knocked on his estate door just as a helicopter landed on his lawn with party guests..... I left thinking perhaps I would not be taken seriously!

Never encountered anyone famous but my heart used to sink driving up a shiny new deep gravel drive to big house with faux Greek columns, almost always unpleasant residents.

On the other hand, weedy gravel, scruffy big house,  old volvo, lots of dogs, a brew in a big mug and an hour  chatting about how the family used to own most of the local area

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If you have an account with the Land Registry and you can look at a map online - and from there obtain registration numbers. That part is free (if you have an account - don't know if there is a charge for that).  Having the number, you can then access the Registered Title and Title Plans, on a pay per view basis.  So it's not too difficult with registered land.

In the old days, before the open register, it was more difficult.  You needed to know someone in an organisation that had a right to access the register and ask for a quiet favour.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

On the other hand, weedy gravel, scruffy big house,  old volvo, lots of dogs, a brew in a big mug and an hour  chatting about how the family used to own most of the local area

Agree with all that.

And often as not they still do own most of the local area, they are just being careful not to appear to be showing off.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Local posties were (and are) an amazing fount of area knowledge, of course there's not always one there when you need them, but in times gone by they would pass a little time with most folk on their round and would at least know who to ask if they didn't know the answer themselves. Great things posties. 

• Greenie 1

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 18:59, Tacet said:

If you have an account with the Land Registry and you can look at a map online - and from there obtain registration numbers. That part is free (if you have an account - don't know if there is a charge for that).  Having the number, you can then access the Registered Title and Title Plans, on a pay per view basis.  So it's not too difficult with registered land.

In the old days, before the open register, it was more difficult.  You needed to know someone in an organisation that had a right to access the register and ask for a quiet favour.

If it's not registered, can you put in a claim?

21 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

If it's not registered, can you put in a claim?

Yes. It's called "adverse possession". Loosely and I may have some details wrong, you fence off the bit you are claiming, put up a notice to say you are in the process of claiming adverse possession (to give any rightful owner the chance to intervene and tell you to feck orf of his land), tend it as your own for 12 years, then file a claim for adverse possession. Then the LR will register it in your name provided you jumped through all the hoops correctly. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Change a worm

On 03/10/2019 at 18:41, mark99 said:

in the 90's I did a walk-through on the route of one of the old WW2 fuel pipelines which form the sides of a square between Hull, Stanlow, Bristol and Canvey Island, part of which we refurbished and upgraded; it now supplies all the jetA1 into Manchester Airport.

we had an intelligent internal pig report that identified some defects in the wall thickness and the coating integrity.  I pinned one of these locations down to a point where the pipeline passed under the corner of a new-build house, the pipe would have been at about the same depth as the foundations, so presumably the builder dug down and exposed the pipeline and then ignored it and covered it up.   Of course the pipeline routes were supposed to be secret and the field markers were very vague.  The householder was lucky his garden wasn't a pool of petrol.

11 hours ago, Murflynn said:

we had an intelligent internal pig report that identified some defects in the wall thickness and the coating integrity.  I pinned one of these locations down to a point where the pipeline passed under the corner of a new-build house, the pipe would have been at about the same depth as the foundations, so presumably the builder dug down and exposed the pipeline and then ignored it and covered it up.   Of course the pipeline routes were supposed to be secret and the field markers were very vague.  The householder was lucky his garden wasn't a pool of petrol.

So what did you do about it?

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

So what did you do about it?

When you get the pig reports they are graded into actions from repair coating to repair shells being welded over. Having said that sounds like a proximity infringement <unless it was sleeved>?

The planning authorities know where these pip[elines are and the pipeline owners are consulted wrt development plans. They have min building proximities laid out according to hazard. (HSE LUP consultations).

Edited by mark99