Visiting Manchester/ mooring

1Arthur

Featured Posts

On 03/10/2019 at 14:30, Tash and Bex said:

there are permanent moorers here, we have obviously been here for longer than 72hrs, but there is at least space for 10 or 12 visiting boats around the basin, it is very rare that we are full, and even rarer to see breasted boats

I moor in Stretford, 45 minutes away, and used to go into Castlefield every now and then.

Don't bother anymore since the permanent moorings were created. Maybe there will be a space, maybe there wont, but I really don't want to get there only to find I have to turn around and come back.

Hello Tash & Bex are you a long term moored at Castlfield or just there for a short time  . The reason  for asking is it would be good to have someone on the ground to let us know if there are any spaces. Maybe you know someone that’s there willing to do that. 

Arthur

1 hour ago, 1Arthur said:

Hello Tash & Bex are you a long term moored at Castlfield or just there for a short time  . The reason  for asking is it would be good to have someone on the ground to let us know if there are any spaces. Maybe you know someone that’s there willing to do that. 

Arthur

You could buy a drone and fly it ahead to look for vacant moorings. 

Or just travel and deal with things as you find. 

Don’t fret it - It all all works out in the end. 

On 04/10/2019 at 13:21, Señor Chris said:

We were advised not to stop on the way in or out of Liverpool and didn't see any moored boats. Manchester could do a lot more for boaters but the cities themselves are very similar in most respects - both are well worth a visit.

Advised by whom? And from where into Liverpool? 

On 05/10/2019 at 18:52, 1Arthur said:

Arthur

Yes I am Arthur, I'll be happy to help out if I can 

26 minutes ago, 1Arthur said:

That’s very kind thank you . It won’t be until the spring now. 

All the very best

Arthur 

Trouble is, there are only going to be one or two spaces and its several hours between the last "safe" outer Manchester mooring and Castlefield so once you set off you are sort of committed and who knows how many boats will arrive from the other directions before you arrive?

Start early and hope for the best. If all the good moorings are full maybe someone will let you breast up, or there are a couple of non ideal spots where you could manage to spend a night.

...............Dave

5 hours ago, dmr said:

Trouble is, there are only going to be one or two spaces and its several hours between the last "safe" outer Manchester mooring and Castlefield so once you set off you are sort of committed and who knows how many boats will arrive from the other directions before you arrive?

Start early and hope for the best. If all the good moorings are full maybe someone will let you breast up, or there are a couple of non ideal spots where you could manage to spend a night.

...............Dave

I have just had a walk to the shop and spotted around 12 empty moorings that could take a 60' boat

1 hour ago, Tash and Bex said:

I have just had a walk to the shop and spotted around 12 empty moorings that could take a 60' boat

I didn't think there were that many visitor moorings left after the conversion to long term moorings.

We usually moor in the main arm up past the Wharf Pub, either on the car park side or better on the Wharf side, I think the very last spot is still a visitor mooring,though a bit shallow.

I am not sure what the moorings are in the other bits (to the left as you go in), they always look like long term boats.

We will be up that way in a week in or so (if I can get the engine fixed!!!!) so maybe you give give me some local knowledge?

.................Dave

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You been and broke it?

Yep, I think we have gone too far too quickly and now its having a big sulk.

Intermittent slight  increases in speed, then a little later horrendous rough running along with bigger increase in speed, sometime with lots of black smoke, but not everytime. Getting worse everyday. Have just concocted an alternative fuel supply from a jerry can to eliminate air leeks, but I am starting to suspect the injection pump, its done over 12,000 hours.

................Dave

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

Yep, I think we have gone too far too quickly and now its having a big sulk.

Intermittent slight  increases in speed, then a little later horrendous rough running along with bigger increase in speed, sometime with lots of black smoke, but not everytime. Getting worse everyday. Have just concocted an alternative fuel supply from a jerry can to eliminate air leeks, but I am starting to suspect the injection pump, its done over 12,000 hours.

................Dave

Hope you sort it soon. 

How far up the Trent and Mersey you got?

24 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Hope you sort it soon. 

How far up the Trent and Mersey you got?

Only got as far a Salt today, hope to limp up to Stone tomoro.

Should have enough tools for getting the pump off but would prefer to be near a good boatyard and a train station, and of course near a pub in case it all goes wrong.

Looks like we might be in Stone for a few days.

Interesting that so many places in Staffordshire start with a "S".

...............Dave

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

Only got as far a Salt today, hope to limp up to Stone tomoro.

Should have enough tools for getting the pump off but would prefer to be near a good boatyard and a train station, and of course near a pub in case it all goes wrong.

Looks like we might be in Stone for a few days.

Interesting that so many places in Staffordshire start with a "S".

...............Dave

Might catch you in Stone

hope to be there Sunday for the week

can taxi you about in my car if you need 

57 minutes ago, dmr said:

I didn't think there were that many visitor moorings left after the conversion to long term moorings.

We usually moor in the main arm up past the Wharf Pub, either on the car park side or better on the Wharf side, I think the very last spot is still a visitor mooring,though a bit shallow.

I am not sure what the moorings are in the other bits (to the left as you go in), they always look like long term boats.

We will be up that way in a week in or so (if I can get the engine fixed!!!!) so maybe you give give me some local knowledge?

.................Dave

I thought that as well. Are there not “No mooring” signs for all the arms apart from Grocer’s Wharf, on which there is only half the car park side available now?

There is always the entrance area to the Rochdale Nine, but that is very much busier with passers by and pubs than Grocer’s Wharf.

17 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I would say plan to get to Manchester in the morning then if no space at Castlfeield  or that area go up the 9 and down 2 on the Rochdale or even stop just clear of the top of the 9

there are many "no mooring" signs on the little wharves that are behind lifting bridges, but the majority of the basin is free to moor.

There are lots of places near the ymca, and back towards the viaduct, the entrance to the basin is usually free, though has quite a high wall, and there is space for four visiting boats near the grocers warehouse.

A lot of us have put signs on our moorings (bridgewater approved ths) saying they were private, personally mine says "Private Mooring, NB Helena will return ________, please feel free to moor here until then", I'm trying to encourage others to do the same.

A couple of times a year the Lymm club "invade" the Basin with around 20 boats, and though they do breast, they all seem to get in.

Bex

I should add there is always space between locks 91/92 and I have never heard of any trouble, it's a pleasant place to moor with the cottage on the other side and the gardens, and is safe, though can be a little noisy while the restaurant  is open.

• Greenie 1

Another addition, the floods did bring some silt down, and caught out the water management people, so the bottom is rather closer to the top than it ought to be, and if flooding is expected they drop the level which makes navigation more than tricky. Fortunately this is rare and very temporary.

Lymm CC have not had a visit to Castlefield this year for the first time in many years. In years gone by we have moored 6 abreast opposite the Rochdale nine bottom lock.

The club has also usually gone to Salford Quays but due to the unsafe jetties we have been refused permission by Salford Council. This was also a popular cruise on a Bank Holiday weekend for as many as 30 boats and we would again breast up sometimes up to 10 boats wide.

3 hours ago, Pie Eater said:

Lymm CC have not had a visit to Castlefield this year for the first time in many years. In years gone by we have moored 6 abreast opposite the Rochdale nine bottom lock.

The club has also usually gone to Salford Quays but due to the unsafe jetties we have been refused permission by Salford Council. This was also a popular cruise on a Bank Holiday weekend for as many as 30 boats and we would again breast up sometimes up to 10 boats wide.

We visited Salford Quays in the summer. Didn't have any problems. Where are these "unsafe jetties" you mention?