CaRT does it again

monkeyhanger

Featured Posts

I'm sure that we've all seen a few "howlers" on CRT notices around the system, and here is another, which I found affixed to a balance beam at Denham lock. It makes one wonder just how old are the people who produce these notices, and does no one ever check them before they leave the office? I'm sure some schoolkids could do better than this.

20190926_173818.jpg

1 minute ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

'Loose'  and 'effects' are common mistakes which I frequently see in newspapers.  It's not just CRT.   I suspect you are referring to the first bit though, which could have been put better, but is not a 'howler'.

The first part is an instruction. Nothing wrong, but could perhaps have been worded better. It's the "loose",  "effects" and missing full stops which I find irritating.  If your proficiency in the use of grammar is not good, you shouldn't be the person producing these notices --or at least get them checked before they are printed off.

7 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

'Loose'  and 'effects' are common mistakes which I frequently see in newspapers.  It's not just CRT.   I suspect you are referring to the first bit though, which could have been put better, but is not a 'howler'.

Water could be described as loose if you have ever tried picking up one end of a trickle, and it does indeed escape..........

Maybe it’s CRT showing it’s diversity by employing people whose first language is not English........

54 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

I'm sure that we've all seen a few "howlers" on CRT notices around the system, and here is another, which I found affixed to a balance beam at Denham lock. It makes one wonder just how old are the people who produce these notices, and does no one ever check them before they leave the office? I'm sure some schoolkids could do better than this.

20190926_173818.jpg

You see, I cant see anything wrong when I read this, but then I am only 71

When CRT started marking their access points, on the Llangollen the signs said "No public rightaway". 

I had to wonder how many people saw it between some the instruction from management and the actual fitting.

A sign (ha ha ) of very poor management.

That way of spelling "lose" seems to be quite common these days. I wouldn't be surprised if TPTB didn't, officially, change the spelling. Mind you there are a significant number of people on this forum who don't seem to be able to spell for toffee. But they blame their spell checkers. Funny how nobody turns their spell checkers off if it gets so many "spell checked" words wrong. I cannot see the point of a spell checker that cannot spell.

Calder and Hebble last week on the top gate beams

"wait till the lock is half full before opening gate paddles" 

On a lock with no ground paddles! Some poor newbie hirer will be stuck there for days.

On a similar lock they did have correct signage, something like "open gate paddles with care". So it's down to the chocolate teapot who fixed the signs on. 

1 hour ago, pete.i said:

That way of spelling "lose" seems to be quite common these days. I wouldn't be surprised if TPTB didn't, officially, change the spelling. Mind you there are a significant number of people on this forum who don't seem to be able to spell for toffee. But they blame their spell checkers. Funny how nobody turns their spell checkers off if it gets so many "spell checked" words wrong. I cannot see the point of a spell checker that cannot spell.

I don’t mind admitting that I am bad at spelling and like many pick the word that looks best from the list of suggested words.

So between me and the spell checker we occasionally get it wrong, so it is only fair we share the blame.

4 hours ago, monkeyhanger said:

20190926_173818.jpg

Get your Sharpie out and make any corrections you deem necessary. 

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, dor said:

When CRT started marking their access points, on the Llangollen the signs said "No public rightaway". 

I had to wonder how many people saw it between some the instruction from management and the actual fitting.

A sign (ha ha ) of very poorly educated management.

Fixed that for you. ?

4 hours ago, pete.i said:

Mind you there are a significant number of people on this forum who don't seem to be able to spell for toffee. But they blame their spell checkers. Funny how nobody turns their spell checkers off if it gets so many "spell checked" words wrong. I cannot see the point of a spell checker that cannot spell.

I finď that my spill chucker and my phat phingers  (on a small touch sensitive phone keyboard) are equally culpable. ?

Edited by cuthound
Spillung ??

I passed an old BW now CRT work boat with the new CRT logo but the boat still in BW colours. If CRT just change their logo slightly once more, ie. the white for yellow we will be back to the old BWB colours as the blue was exactly the same as the boat was painted but the boat had a yellow roof not a whit one

Effects, affects, always safer to use impacts.  But it’s the double exclamation mark that effects, affects, impacts me.  Why, oh why, do people think this makes their point even more effective, affective, impactful?

Edited by The Dreamer
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, monkeyhanger said:

20190926_173818.jpg

That ain’t no CRT sign you fools!!

It’s bin printinted by an eliterit boater. 

Perhaps one of the effected boaters. 

Where’s the two tone waved blue lines?

and the usual CRT layout?

And shouty is not their (CRT’s) way. 

And it’s stuck on with gaffer tape not a mass of staples. 

And it don’t look like a laminate been left out for ages with the ink having run. 

I’ve seen lots of CRT spelling mistakes syntax errors, misinformation cock up on maps etc, but this ain’t one of them. 

I bet all all the money in my pocket it’s a boater who moors above or below the lock who’s pissed off with paddles and gates being left open. They’ve printed their own. ?

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

That ain’t no CRT sign you fools!!

It’s bin printinted by an eliterit boater. 

Perhaps one of the effected boaters. 

Where’s the two tone waved blue lines?

and the usual CRT layout?

And shouty is not their (CRT’s) way. 

And it’s stuck on with gaffer tape not a mass of staples. 

And it don’t look like a laminate been left out for ages with the ink having run. 

I’ve seen lots of CRT spelling mistakes syntax errors, misinformation cock up on maps etc, but this ain’t one of them. 

I bet all all the money in my pocket it’s a boater who moors above or below the lock who’s pissed off with paddles and gates being left open. They’ve printed their own. ?

Well spotted!  I think you are right.