Old karting tyres

Dunworkin

Featured Posts

On 02/10/2019 at 08:57, NB Esk said:

Right about fenders consuming a lot of rope, here's "some I made earlier " lol, from memory I believe 50-60' went into each one. 

IMG_0290.JPG

Was it Mr Heath or Mr Robinson who fabricated your aerial bracket? ?

• Haha 2

On 02/10/2019 at 08:41, alan_fincher said:

We have never found karting tyres much use.

They look like they ought to be, but generally squash so flat and out of shape they don't really do what you might hope.

Perhaps it's because we operate big heavy ex working boats, I don't know, but if the aim is to stay away from piling, we find we need something better.

I agree. Normal car tyres are much better. I keep a couple on my roof tied to about 5 ft of rope with integral handrail hooks.

15 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I agree. Normal car tyres are much better. I keep a couple on my roof tied to about 5 ft of rope with integral handrail hooks.

This boat didn't and I was told by a reliable source it had lost one by the time it reached Stoke Bruerne and some poor unfortunate found it round their prop in Blisworth tunnel. Photo's taken at Braunston bottom lock.

20180820_131439.jpg

20180820_131454.jpg

Just now, blackrose said:

I see. Did they just forget to pull them up before they moved off?

No, when I observed the boat it had come from Butchers Bridge with the tyres in the water and left Braunston Bottom lock in a similar state.

As mentioned above it was seen at Stoke Bruerne later that day with one of the tyres missing, the other 3 still dangling.

7 minutes ago, Ray T said:

No, when I observed the boat it had come from Butchers Bridge with the tyres in the water and left Braunston Bottom lock in a similar state.

As mentioned above it was seen at Stoke Bruerne later that day with one of the tyres missing, the other 3 still dangling.

Well, they're just ejits then.

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, blackrose said:

Well, they're just ejits then.

agree.   Inconsiderate boaters to say the least.     Mind you must mess up their fuel consumption, and if they go Braunston to Stoke Brune in a day thats a fair amount of boating and ectra fuel used!

44 minutes ago, Dharl said:

agree.   Inconsiderate boaters to say the least.     Mind you must mess up their fuel consumption, and if they go Braunston to Stoke Brune in a day thats a fair amount of boating and ectra fuel used!

I wonder how much difference to fuel consumption it actually makes

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wonder how much difference to fuel consumption it actually makes

Dragging 4 tyres in the water, thats a lot of extra drag and weight, I would say, maybe an extra 1lt an hour?    Braunston to Blisworth is about 10hrs according to trusty Canal PLan AC, so ok only an extra 10lts (about £10 on my last top up at 60/40) but if doing a lot of boating that would add up pretty quickly.   

Recently my ship has been down in West Africa for a while, heading north at Canaries we stopped for a hull clean (see pics below of the before and after from the divers report).    The difference in performce before and after equated to about 10% savings in bunkers, or about 4mt a day.      At current rates thats a saving of around $1700-$1900 per day!

Hull CLeaning bANDa.PNG

1 hour ago, Dharl said:

Dragging 4 tyres in the water, thats a lot of extra drag and weight, I would say, maybe an extra 1lt an hour?    Braunston to Blisworth is about 10hrs according to trusty Canal PLan AC, so ok only an extra 10lts (about £10 on my last top up at 60/40) but if doing a lot of boating that would add up pretty quickly.   

That would be almost double the consumption, almost as much diesel to drag 4 tyres as to shove a long steel box through the water.

well certainly depends on the RPM you go, but I would say thats a conservative estimate if you are trying to get on at a different rate.      Much better to stick them on top of your cabin before you get going (or go a for a more tradtional type of fender thats lighter to lift up).  

21 hours ago, blackrose said:

For use "raw" as a fender, I agree, car tyres are much better. 

Kart tyres, however, are a useful source of materials for fender cores, as they don't have steel bracing and are easy to cut with a knife. A stack of the sidewalls makes a ring shaped fender, while the treads can be rolled up for buttons.

• 1 year later...
22 minutes ago, Tan said:

Hiya Dunworkin 

Are you still looking for karting tyres?

My son has has 12 old karting tyres, if interested? 

They may have found some in the last year.