Old karting tyres

Dunworkin

Featured Posts

Dear all,

we we are South Wales based and trying to get hold of some old karting tyres, just to have handy should we need to moor up against anything other than Armco....even then some of that can be mighty unfriendly..!

All of the karting centres I contact say that they keep their old tyres to act as barriers etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to where I may get some old tyres...other than paying for them on eBay?

Many thanks

Not all karting centres hang onto their old tyres, or may have enough.  Have a word with your local tyre depot, they might be pleased to see you. 

They may also have forklift tyres, they also make good fenders.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Why not buy some fenders?  Made for the job!

Because they are stupidly expensive for plastic or rubber balloons. The string ones are even more stupidly expensive. If someone can get freebies, even if they are old tyres, go for it.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Me too. Been boating thirty years and never bought a fender. Got about three spares, too. Same with mooring hooks and stakes. 

My wife's got a Fender bass, though. 

Your wife ties fish to the side of the boat? 

Edited by Dog
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I lost a rope fender in a lock yesterday. GIVE IT BACK!!! 

Was it this one, took it of my prop on the T&M 

DSCF2632small.jpg

This is what you really need to protect the side of your fragile steel boat 

DSCF2010small.jpg

Edited by ditchcrawler
  • Haha 1

I got some kart tyres from e bay, they are a bit too wide really but if you slice them around the circumference and take a strip out they are sort of ok, its not hard to half hitch rope around them and turn them into proper little rope fenders (doesn't half use a lot of rope though) They are still too small for tying to sheet piling as they disappear into the hollow bits. After making my own fenders from rope and stuff for years I have come to the sad conclusion that the best fenders (for wide locks) are the horrid plastic ones or the hard rubber 'Zig-Zag' fenders that are mostly seen on Dutch barges.

Edited by Bee
can't spell

We have never found karting tyres much use.

They look like they ought to be, but generally squash so flat and out of shape they don't really do what you might hope.

Perhaps it's because we operate big heavy ex working boats, I don't know, but if the aim is to stay away from piling, we find we need something better.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Bee said:

I got some kart tyres from e bay, they are a bit too wide really but if you slice them around the circumference and take a strip out they are sort of ok, its not hard to half hitch rope around them and turn them into proper little rope fenders (doesn't half use a lot of rope though) They are still too small for tying to sheet piling as they disappear into the hollow bits. After making my own fenders from rope and stuff for years I have come to the sad conclusion that the best fenders (for wide locks) are the horrid plastic ones or the hard rubber 'Zig-Zag' fenders that are mostly seen on Dutch barges.

Right about fenders consuming a lot of rope, here's "some I made earlier " lol, from memory I believe 50-60' went into each one. 

IMG_0290.JPG

To buy a "proper" fender for a narrowboat you won't get much change from a tenner. I have lost count of how many fenders I have had to replace, whether they got damaged, lost in the canal or indeed stolen... Since using go-kart tyres, I've not yet had to replace them once in nearly 3 years.

On 02/10/2019 at 08:39, Bee said:

Important thing to note is that the front tyres of a go-kart are significantly skinnier than the rear, perhaps by as much as a third.  I put the rear tyres at the back of my boat where it's not quite so wide due to the curvature of the stern, for lack of better terminology.

On 02/10/2019 at 08:41, alan_fincher said:

We have never found karting tyres much use.

They look like they ought to be, but generally squash so flat and out of shape they don't really do what you might hope.

Perhaps it's because we operate big heavy ex working boats, I don't know, but if the aim is to stay away from piling, we find we need something better.

They do squash but typically only when the boat has hit something harder than it should have or indeed if something has hit the boat, hard.  They still seem to provide protection though. When this happens, it prompts me to inspect the hull and obviously pull the tyre back out into shape at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 08:57, NB Esk said:

Right about fenders consuming a lot of rope, here's "some I made earlier " lol, from memory I believe 50-60' went into each one. 

IMG_0290.JPG

Propper job!     50-60'! eek perhaps I wont start making some in my spare time then....  look great though!

On 03/10/2019 at 14:30, RichM said:

To buy a "proper" fender for a narrowboat you won't get much change from a tenner. I have lost count of how many fenders I have had to replace, whether they got damaged, lost in the canal or indeed stolen...  

Funny, I have only ever bought/ made two in 18 years of boating, In that time I have found dozens, 3 around my prop and given sack fulls away

I like the long tubular rubber side fenders. They sink easily when dropping them deep (needed to stop the hull plate grounding on hard underwater stones in shallow moorings. They are quick-drying and take up little room for stowage.

just been reading up and watching some vids on how to make rope fenders.   Whilst have experince of different splcing technieques, have never tried this so think this will be my next project!

2 hours ago, Dharl said:

just been reading up and watching some vids on how to make rope fenders.   Whilst have experince of different splcing technieques, have never tried this so think this will be my next project!

My first was a kit with a book, a present.

• Greenie 1