Flooding along the lower Trent

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Rickent said:

River soar was over the bank at Syston last night and is extremely high at Barrow, can see a lot of problems in the next few days with lots more rain forecast and ex hurricane Lorenzo on its way. 

There have been parts of Sileby village flooded today that havnt flooded since last century. Cossington Lane is now under and it's all still rising.

The basin in Loughborough flooded as well at lunchtime today when the brook couldnt cope and the overflow entered the canal.

Screenshot_20191001-183744_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

There have been parts of Sileby village flooded today that havnt flooded since last century. Cossington Lane is now under and it's all still rising.

The basin in Loughborough flooded as well at lunchtime today when the brook couldnt cope and the overflow entered the canal.

Screenshot_20191001-183744_Chrome.jpg

Its lapping over the side here, and still rising.

20191001_165635.jpg

If I recall correctly it's not particularly unusual to get some heavy rain at this time of year.

Given the heavy rain yesterday the Trent has a lot more to come over the next few days.

Flood gates at Newark are closed.

The water level is up about 6 feet - the 'pontoon bridge' in the marina is horizontal whilst in 'normal' conditions it has about a 30* downward slope.

River is running very fast - I'd guesstimate at 4 knts.

I have never seen the water so high, where the Barge Pub moors there is normally several feet ( 6+) of wall showing but today there is very little showing.

I have just received an email from BWML about the situation of water levels in the marina and that they are monitoring it closely, it is probably only 2 or 3 feet from getting into the 'abandon the marina' level.

Supposed to be moving the boat 'up-river' for a lift-out on Wednesday the 9th but its looking unlikely at the moment.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Flood gates at Newark are closed.

The water level is up about 6 feet - the 'pontoon bridge' in the marina is horizontal whilst in 'normal' conditions it has about a 30* downward slope.

River is running very fast - I'd guesstimate at 4 knts.

I have never seen the water so high, where the Barge Pub moors there is normally several feet ( 6+) of wall showing but today there is very little showing.

I have just received an email from BWML about the situation of water levels in the marina and that they are monitoring it closely, it is probably only 2 or 3 feet from getting into the 'abandon the marina' level.

Supposed to be moving the boat 'up-river' for a lift-out on Wednesday the 9th but its looking unlikely at the moment.

Don't  panic. 

It's only water.

The gauge at Farndon this morning  indicates the water is no longer rising .

Also the gauge at Colwick has levelled off and is predicted to rise no further.

I expect the rain that fell in Tuesday has yet to reach the Newark area. So the level will probably remain high over the weekend.

We are sat waiting at Trent Lock. It always amazes me to see how so much water can arrive from other parts of the country in such volume. The level yesterday evening was about 18" below the bottom gate. The flow on the river was 'quick'! The pontoons on the river are level with the tow path. I guesstimate a rise of 8-10'.

Edited by Nightwatch

On 01/10/2019 at 22:01, cheshire~rose said:

High tide at Gainsborough is due in around half an hour. There is likely to have been an aegir passed through in the last half hour too.

It's looking grim for many parts of the country 

You don't get Aegirs when there is so much fresh in the river, you're lucky to get any upward flow and certainly not above Owston Ferry.