Polishing new paintwork

Marvie

Featured Posts

have just finished painting my boat and was advised to polish it to protect from bad weather. Used a wax I bought for this from a marine product dealer but it was some time ago I bought it. 

Put it on and polished it off in sections and it looked great. Today, after all this bad rain, there are white patches all over that I can't get off. Any ideas please?

3 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I’m wondering if there is a solution to the OPs problem, now it has occurred. Is the white stuff likely to be due to a reaction with the paint, and not removable, or could it be in the surface, and removeable?

This happened to me too.Waxed new paintwork with car polish,(can't remember which) and it would not polish off,but left white patches that wouldn't come off,even with white spirit.

Had to re-sand the area and re-paint,and not wax it this time.

6 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I’m wondering if there is a solution to the OPs problem, now it has occurred. Is the white stuff likely to be due to a reaction with the paint, and not removable, or could it be in the surface, and removeable?

It could be possible that it could be compounded off using a non ammonia compound t cut and the like might be risky, paimters polish cars virtually   straight away and compound them as well

21 minutes ago, peterboat said:

paimters polish cars virtually   straight away and compound them as well

Much harder paint though. 

7 hours ago, Marvie said:

have just finished painting my boat and was advised to polish it to protect from bad weather.

I doubt that. Either that or the advisor had no idea what they were talking about. 

Wax will protect a painted finish, as will one of the many ceramic coatings now available, but polish won’t protect anything, it’ll just take off a microscopic top layer from the paint. 

On 30/09/2019 at 11:24, Marvie said:

have just finished painting my boat and was advised to polish it to protect from bad weather. Used a wax I bought for this from a marine product dealer but it was some time ago I bought it. 

Put it on and polished it off in sections and it looked great. Today, after all this bad rain, there are white patches all over that I can't get off. Any ideas please?

A sudden thought occurs was it sunny when it dried? and are the white spots on darker paint and about 50 pence size? if so its where the sun is magnified and it sort of bleaches the paint

Thanks peterboat. More like clouds.  I'll have another go at them.  Someone said put more polish on the bits and polish of straight away. Also, it seems I shouldn't have polished for at least 6 months after painting.  It's all a learning curve, isn't it?

3 minutes ago, Marvie said:

Someone said put more polish on the bits and polish of straight away.

That may well work. I polished a boat last week. I found if I left the polish on too long, it was almost impossible to get off. Going over it again,but taking the polish off sooner fixed the problem. It appeared a lot worse on the cream coloured paint than the dark blue.

Good luck

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Never polished a boat in thirty years, my boat was painted over two years ago and has never been polished, its still got paint on. A very overrated pastime.

Need new batteries...... Buy a new boat! 

Boat is dirty......... Buy a new boat! 

Boat needs blacking..........buy a new boat! 

Sorted! 

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Need new batteries...... Buy a new boat! 

Boat is dirty......... Buy a new boat! 

Boat needs blacking..........buy a new boat! 

Sorted! 

This idea doesnt work.

When ya buys a new boat to you that is not a brand new note then the batteries are invariably knackered so need replacing.

Boats dont get too dirty if like myself you have a wife who washes it periodicaly.

I black my boat at least every two years.

:P