Pointless notice

David Mack

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

The notice was probably put up originally so that some other anti-CRT moaner couldn't claim that his dress was ruined by brushing it against wet paint.

I didn't realise that anti-CRT makers were all cross dressers. ??

At least it is black letters on a white background.

On the HNC a couple  of weeks ago we came across an A4 printed sign stapled to a post in the middle of the canal. It was white lettering printed on a blue background. The blue had faded making the sign unreadable from the stern as we approached. When we ran aground just before we got to the post I could just make out an arrow pointing towards the towpath and after backing off and having another, more successful attempt to pass, could then read the writing warning of a mud bank.

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

"Dress" is a general term that includes many different garments.

If you have a shirt and trousers on, you are dressed, are you not?

You are perfectly correct - and of course soldiers wear "battledress" or "No.1 dress".

It just came out in an amusing way.

25 minutes ago, pearley said:

At least it is black letters on a white background.

On the HNC a couple  of weeks ago we came across an A4 printed sign stapled to a post in the middle of the canal. It was white lettering printed on a blue background. The blue had faded making the sign unreadable from the stern as we approached. When we ran aground just before we got to the post I could just make out an arrow pointing towards the towpath and after backing off and having another, more successful attempt to pass, could then read the writing warning of a mud bank.

If I'm being picky (which I am sometimes) the OP's photo shows one of the cardinal sins of laminating - if you're going to punch holes for cable ties, cut the paper down before you laminate. Then the holes don't get the paper interior soggy. You have no idea how many event organisers don't get this and use an inkjet for the printing.

37 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

"Dress" is a general term that includes many different garments.

If you have a shirt and trousers on, you are dressed, are you not?

You are, but the using the word "clothes" would have eliminated the opportunity for jesting. ?