Eberspacher Exhaust

Old Son

Featured Posts

I bought a cheapo exhaust from eBay for my Eberspacher. As already suggested there is a drain hole in the bottom. I temporarily sealed that to test if there was any other leaks from the unit. There is a leak around both of the tubes at each end that the exhaust pipe would join to.

I am proposing to seal these and wondered if I soldered the tubes, would the solder melt when the unit gets hot? Would I be better having them welded?

Thanks

Soft solder melts at a very low temperature. I once had a metal tea-light lantern and the solder melted letting the handle come off and the whole lot fall on the floor.

In order of increasing temperature:

soft solder

silver solder

brazing

welding

..............Dave

The joints in question are pressed into the exhaust box so I cant get any paste around them. I thought braze or weld around the joints then recheck.

Just now, Chewbacka said:

If it was cheap and assuming it is stainless it is probably as thick as baking foil which will be very difficult to weld without making big holes.

Was it brazed or welded when made?

It seems to be press fitted around the edges. It we make a hole in it then we'll throw it away. It doesn't feel flimsy but it probably is.

15 minutes ago, Old Son said:

The joints in question are pressed into the exhaust box so I cant get any paste around them. I thought braze or weld around the joints then recheck.

It seems to be press fitted around the edges. It we make a hole in it then we'll throw it away. It doesn't feel flimsy but it probably is.

If it was designed for a truck then it would be used externally to the cab, so apart from noise a few small leak are probably not seen as important but if used on a narrowboat in the engine hole any fumes (poisonous carbon monoxide) released may find their way into the cabin.  That could be fatal.  Please be careful.

If it is just a press fit rather than a crimp and very thin, even if you can seal it up now are you confident the 'repair' will have adequate fatigue life to be safe.

Edited by Chewbacka

23 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

If it was designed for a truck then it would be used externally to the cab, so apart from noise a few small leak are probably not seen as important but if used on a narrowboat in the engine hole any fumes (poisonous carbon monoxide) released may find their way into the cabin.  That could be fatal.  Please be careful.

If it is just a press fit rather than a crimp and very thin, even if you can seal it up now are you confident the 'repair' will have adequate fatigue life to be safe.

See my post above

41 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Just a wakeup call on what can happen if you get it wrong https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34810360

Yup. That case came to my mind too. The BBC article doesn't explain that one of the causes of the deaths was a bodged exhaust system made with soldered plumbing fittings, which melted and came apart from the heat of the generator exhaust gases.

So unless you want to kill your girlfriend and her daughter, and get sentenced to 2 years, I suggest you forget the whole idea.

Full report at https://www.gov.uk/maib-reports/carbon-monoxide-poisoning-on-motor-cruiser-arniston-with-loss-of-2-lives

• Greenie 1

Not sure why you didn't buy a marine exhaust. My Webasto came from the ebay reconditioner (mp & h, I think) who seems to be well respected on here. It included a sikencer like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22MM-MARINE-EXHAUST-SILENCER-MUFFLER-STAINLESS-EBERSPACHER-WEBASTO-DIESEL-HEATER/183762469482?hash=item2ac918c26a:g:7AoAAOSwUMxaGHkR

Edit: I see you can get pressed ones for £7.29 on ebay so I guess that's why you bought it. 

Edited by stegra