Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
sharpness

River Severn appears to be closed

Featured Posts

There's nothing on the CRT site yet but here at Worcester, sat on the visitor pontoon just above Diglis river lock the level has been steadily rising, the boards  are on the red, and the light board at Diglis Lock is showing 2 red lights. The blinds are down in the cabin so it appears the lock keeper has gone home. It is this weekend the hours change from 7pm to 6pm closing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CRT don’t seem to be great at getting stoppage notices out at weekends, I bet there is one in the morning.  Not exactly unexpected with the crazy levels of rain we have had in the last few days in the Midlands, which no doubt was much worse in the Severn catchment area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, john6767 said:

CRT don’t seem to be great at getting stoppage notices out at weekends,

According to their Twitter feed, CRT Customer service were only working until 4pm today!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, The Dreamer said:

According to their Twitter feed, CRT Customer service were only working until 4pm today!

It’s only recently the they have worked Sat or Sun at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to be far more water in the lower end than the upper, although that is rising fast.

The Severn is almost at a level with the Avon at Tewkesbury.

16377_12097_20190930 (1).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Weaver was closed mid-morning on Sunday, when I pointed out to the locky at Saltersford that the level had gone up six inches in the last hour and he started making phone calls. The official notice didn't appear 'till late morning on Monday.

 

MP.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The weaver is much calmer this morning and down a bit. I think if the lift isn't open a cruise up to Northwich might be on the cards. 

They are about to check River level at the lift then make a decision about today.

 

Haggis

 

Edited by haggis
More info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, haggis said:

The weaver is much calmer this morning and down a bit. I think if the lift isn't open a cruise up to Northwich might be on the cards. 

They are about to check River level at the lift then make a decision about today.

 

Haggis

 

I'm not clear which way you intend to go on the lift. From our experience, the very first thing that happens when the river is lively is that they stop bringing boats down, but are perfectly happy to take boats up and out of harms way.

 

MP.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are moored on the pontoons on the river near the lift. Lift closed again today as apparently when there is too big a difference in level inside and outside the caisson, the wedges don't work. The trip boat is coming down and going back up without leaving the lift.

Lovely sunny morning

 

Haggis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, haggis said:

We are moored on the pontoons on the river near the lift. Lift closed again today as apparently when there is too big a difference in level inside and outside the caisson, the wedges don't work. The trip boat is coming down and going back up without leaving the lift.

Lovely sunny morning

 

Haggis

The wedges move up and down to seal the caisson at whatever position equalises the water levels in the caisson and in the river. This changes as the river level changes.  The wedges have a limited range of travel. We once got stuck on the river because the level was too low for the wedges.

 

MP.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.