Insurance

The Lea's

Featured Posts

We have used in the past

Craftinsure

GJW direct

And collidge and partners. 

All took our money and provided cover, but we never made a claim, so can't comment on how good they are. This was for a 70ft steel narrowboat. 

Edited by rusty69

Shop around.Insurance companies tend to vary in premiums and age of boat before a survey is required (if a steel narrowboat). You will only know how good they are if you make a claim. 

Decide whether you need fully comprehensive/liveaboard/third party only cover. 

Reading that back, it all sounds a bit obvious, like all other insurance I spose. 

7 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Basic Boat Co is cheap if you only want 3rd party. They do cover you for recovery if you sink. As a nonliveaboard these days with a boat that really isn't worth much, they suit me. 

As a matter of interest, what do you pay. Presumably the value and size of your boat are pretty much irrelevant in the amount you pay.

I only ask because I am with GJW with what seems like fairly comprehensive cover, based on a 45ft boat with a value of £26,000 plus £2,000 for some additional contents. I have paid between about £100 and £136 over the past 5 or 6 years. This year it went down from £136 to £128. A few years ago it went down from £110 to £95. No idea how they calculate it, but it's never seemed too much, so I cough up and forget it :)

4 hours ago, rusty69 said:

We have used in the past

Craftinsure

GJW direct

All took our money and provided cover, but we never made a claim, so can't comment on how good they are. This was for a 70ft steel narrowboat. 

I have been with GJW for several years, (probably 7 years), and havent made a claim either. £126 this year for £26k boat and £2k additional contents. Seems to be a fairly comprehensive policy.

However, I know of people who have made claims and my perception is that all have been treated fairly and, mostly, GJW paid up fairly quickly.

I know of one instance where someone lost their boat in the Bay of Biscay, but their policy had a clause which made it clear that the cover wasnt valid in the Bay of Biscay after a particular date, (probably October or November, and perhaps for obvious reasons). The boat was in The Bay of Biscay after this date, and the loss occurred after this date. GJW didnt pay the claim. The claimant seemed to think that their circumstances were such that the insurer should have allowed them extra time. My recollection is that there didnt seem to be any reason for the insurer to accept liability. The date was fairly cut and dried and, given that weather was the reason for the clause, it would be unreasonable to suggest that bad weather should allow an extension in time.

7 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

However, I know of people who have made claims and my perception is that all have been treated fairly and, mostly, GJW paid up fairly quickly.

Good to know, as we are currently with GJW. premium this year was £150 on a 35k boat fully comp liveaboard iirc. 

7 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

know of one instance where someone lost their boat in the Bay of Biscay, but their policy had a clause which made it clear that the cover wasnt valid in the Bay of Biscay after a particular date, (probably October or November, and perhaps for obvious reasons). The boat was in The Bay of Biscay after this date, and the loss occurred after this date. GJW didnt pay the claim. The claimant seemed to think that their circumstances were such that the insurer should have allowed them extra time. My recollection is that there didnt seem to be any reason for the insurer to accept liability. The date was fairly cut and dried and, given that weather was the reason for the clause, it would be unreasonable to suggest that bad weather should allow an extension in time.

Unfortunate, but fair, I would say. 

Edited by rusty69

8 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I have been with GJW for several years, (probably 7 years), and havent made a claim either. £126 this year for £26k boat and £2k additional contents. Seems to be a fairly comprehensive policy.

However, I know of people who have made claims and my perception is that all have been treated fairly and, mostly, GJW paid up fairly quickly.

I know of one instance where someone lost their boat in the Bay of Biscay, but their policy had a clause which made it clear that the cover wasnt valid in the Bay of Biscay after a particular date, (probably October or November, and perhaps for obvious reasons). The boat was in The Bay of Biscay after this date, and the loss occurred after this date. GJW didnt pay the claim. The claimant seemed to think that their circumstances were such that the insurer should have allowed them extra time. My recollection is that there didnt seem to be any reason for the insurer to accept liability. The date was fairly cut and dried and, given that weather was the reason for the clause, it would be unreasonable to suggest that bad weather should allow an extension in time.

When we brought our new boat back from Croatia the insurers would not provide insurance to go across Biscay prior to 1st May.

My current insurers have an exclusion about leaving the boat in Scottish or Irish waters (No anchoring or swinging moorings)

If “Sea Wolf” is in Scotland or Ireland, or is less than 21ft (6.5m) in length, during the period 15th October to 31st March she will be ashore or in a marina when
not navigating

On 28/09/2019 at 17:43, rusty69 said:

We have used in the past

Craftinsure

GJW direct

One of these, who I had used for a couple of decades, changed hands a year or so ago when the owner retired. I won't say which one but it's pretty easy to find out. The new owner slapped an additional significant admin charge on their bill. I will be changing to another broker when I renew.

On 28/09/2019 at 17:43, rusty69 said:

We have used in the past

Craftinsure

GJW direct

In other words they are all equally good - at taking your money!

12 hours ago, Bugsworth Tippler said:

One of these, who I had used for a couple of decades, changed hands a year or so ago when the owner retired. I won't say which one but it's pretty easy to find out. The new owner slapped an additional significant admin charge on their bill. I will be changing to another broker when I renew.

I'm guessing it's not GJW but dont know.

I tend to look at the final figure, and not worry too much how they choose to make it up. If your premium has increased significantly enough as a result of this admin charge, then every reason to shop around.