Salterhebble Guillotine Lock, Calder and Hebble

Featured Posts

Got to the Salterhebble Guillotine Lock just before lunchtime to discover it wasn't opening. Apparently it was fine last night but now it's not. The CRT guy came along to take a look and unfortunately nothing he did resolved the problem. He's called the office to get an electrician in to take a look. IMG_28092019_145644_(576_x_768_pixel).jpg.e23ac7bcbb07c23d2a6a3d3d97d12a7d.jpg

And as soon as I post this, the sparky turns up!

1 minute ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I came through a few days ago.  It must easily be the slowest lock on the waterways.  There is danger of thumb fatigue when closing it (when opening you just press once then go and do something else which takes at least 15 minutes.)

There are worse I seem to remember one maybe on the Huddersfield narrow? that you wound by hand and took forever

Yes, I remember it being slow, real slow. 

But that short stretch and 3?4? locks is very pretty. Lovely spot. 

With a cracking cottage. 

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

There are worse I seem to remember one maybe on the Huddersfield narrow? that you wound by hand and took forever

Lock 24 ?

much quicker

wound by hand but loads faster

• Greenie 1

54 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Yes, I remember it being slow, real slow. 

But that short stretch and 3?4? locks is very pretty. Lovely spot. 

With a cracking cottage. 

Lock 24 ?

much quicker

wound by hand but loads faster

It is very nice around there too. The little Halifax Arm section is gorgeous. I’m perplexed about that though - it says “Long Term Moorings” and the CRT waterside moorings site shows that there are no moorings available on that stretch yet there isn’t a single boat along there. I wonder if they’ve just stopped it as a long term mooring or it just so happens that every long term moorer on that Arm has gone away. I may give them a ring and ask about it. I’d take a mooring there for sure.

2 hours ago, NB Caelmiri said:

It is very nice around there too. The little Halifax Arm section is gorgeous. I’m perplexed about that though - it says “Long Term Moorings” and the CRT waterside moorings site shows that there are no moorings available on that stretch yet there isn’t a single boat along there. I wonder if they’ve just stopped it as a long term mooring or it just so happens that every long term moorer on that Arm has gone away. I may give them a ring and ask about it. I’d take a mooring there for sure.

Appearances can be deceptive.  There used to be long term moorings on the towpath side, and for a while a boat lived in the old dry dock opposite.  However, the area went through a phase of vandalism (it's one of the only two places on the waterways where I've been set adrift and had items stolen), and boats became unwilling to stay there.  Similarly the long term moorings above Salterhebble Top Lock.  There are boats in Salterhebble basin, but there is some security there.  During the troublesome period a boat was burnt out and the guillotine damaged.  That's probably all in the past now, but I would still feel uneasy mooring overnight on the arm by myself, although I visit sometimes to have lunch and get firewood.

This mornings update.

"The repairs have been completed and the guillotine lock is now operational"

Fair  play to CRT. You turned that around quickly!

8 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Appearances can be deceptive.  There used to be long term moorings on the towpath side, and for a while a boat lived in the old dry dock opposite.  However, the area went through a phase of vandalism (it's one of the only two places on the waterways where I've been set adrift and had items stolen), and boats became unwilling to stay there.  Similarly the long term moorings above Salterhebble Top Lock.  There are boats in Salterhebble basin, but there is some security there.  During the troublesome period a boat was burnt out and the guillotine damaged.  That's probably all in the past now, but I would still feel uneasy mooring overnight on the arm by myself, although I visit sometimes to have lunch and get firewood.

Certainly are deceiving! It looks like Hobbiton around there. You'd not think an ounce of trouble would occur there!

A few years back the guillotine went through a period of failures and repairs, and at one point it had a temporary chain hoist attached to the top beam and top of the gate and CRT lockies only operated it for a few hours a day and it took perhaps a month for spares to come. When they repaired it I believe they lowered the gearing making it slower, but putting less strain on the drive motor. This lock empties and opens the gate on a timer not a float like at Todmorden for example and if only one paddle works then it tries to raise the gate before a level is made.

We have over nighted plenty of times in the lower basin and never had any trouble, but we have never left the boat. We met one boater who had left their boat for a few nights in the lower basin and when they returned all easily removed brass ware, spare ropes, fenders, plank, pole etc. had been taken. I recall the burnt out GRP cruiser on the long term moorings above the top lock, but as said above that was many years ago.

21 hours ago, PeterF said:

This lock empties and opens the gate on a timer not a float like at Todmorden for example and if only one paddle works then it tries to raise the gate before a level is made.

Does it succeed? There is no reason why it shouldn't!

I'm not sure I know of any other guillotine where paddles are used, all the ones I can think of the gate is cracked open to empty (or sometimes fill) the lock

38 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I'm not sure I know of any other guillotine where paddles are used, all the ones I can think of the gate is cracked open to empty (or sometimes fill) the lock

Lock 24E HNC has a paddle on the guillotine gate.Empty the lock with the paddle and raise the guillotine manually.

You need to have had your Weetabix for this lock! 

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

The three I am familiar with, Salterhebble, Todmorden and Huddersfield 24E all have paddles.